Trend Whores !?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorday

Eats Squid
Width of bars should be proportional to your size, as well as what makes you comfortable. Anyone who does or tells you differently is a douche.

Trends CAN be beneficial, such as the bending of framing tubes/hydro-forming which; is done for a reason... But this could be seen as an emerging technology gaining its footing more then a trend.

Dan.

Farkin guerilla
Seems like the guys in this thread obviously have nothing better to do than sit around and criticise the setups that others run. Some people run set ups in a trend and realise that they are much more beneficial than what they previously ran. I run no front brake as I don't need it. My seat is slammed as its out the way and I hardly sit down anyway. I run rigids as I prefer the BMXey feel of my bike. Most people run them because thats how they like it.
However there are always exceptions.

perhaps other people also find them good?
I did say "or use them for their intended purpose." What I meant was people who do something because they want to be like the pro's when they have no actual need for it. Again with the tyres, they might hate the feel of them but decide to use them because Sam Hill does. I know Sam doesn't but that is just an analogy.

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
This thread is a waste of time but I'll chuck in my 2 cents...

We are all trend whore's to an extent because we ride bikes full stop and I take that as a compliment as it is an extremely enjoyable and fun pastime that has brought me many hours of both pleasure and pain at times.

If someone else doesn't like YOUR bike setup then that's good for them, there's a good chance you don't like their setup either but does it really affect you if you aren't the owner/rider of that bike. ??

Now I know for a fact that most people dislike my choices in bike parts/frames because they aren't "scene" but I'm sure they'll get over it if not I can assist in building a bridge to help them get over it.

Also stop making pointless threads like this one which just turn into bitch fights and people making fun of other people's choices, and actually attempt to contribute to the Farkin (whoops my bad...) i mean Rotorbun community as a whole and lets just get on with doing what brought us to this forum in the first place..

There is no winner in a thread like this because rider A will always dislike the exact thing that rider B loves and then rider C will usually make a comment to back up rider A when in actual fact there's a good chance that both rider C and A have never actually run the part/bike/frame that the comments to rider B were initially made about.

Bretty.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If BansheeTwoTwelve > User Lists > Ignore List > Confirm User List Modification > Yes is a trend then consider me a little scene kid on a bike with no seatpost and bars wider than I am tall.

You obviously know jack shit about bikes and the reasons for why some people ride the way they do.

Last edited:

Smacks

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is a stupid thread. Banshee, you are a stupid person.

What does it matter to you people how other people's bikes are setup?

chillywilly

Likes Dirt
BMX = Bike tricks come from hear

Moto = Fast shit and every one want 'moto' style.

old school (i guess you could call it cycle cross now, hard core tracks , hard bikes) = Original Mountain biking, road riding, fixie.

If you are complaining about trend whore, i think you are silly, because you are probably angry because some guy on a brakeless fixie pulled you at the lights on the way to school, the 'scene' kid at the skate park probably could beat you at anything and the kid with the low seat, wide bars and heaps of TLD gear, triple claps on the hardtail just destroyed you at the local race. Look buddy just coz they are followers doesn't mean they aren't doing it for a reason. Like the fixie rider might be training and is just better fitter and stronger, the kid a skate park has no brakes but if he did, he wouldn't use them, he will still do tailwhips and 3 foot airs with a large kickout, the guy on the hardtail is probly 12 years old and can't get on a bike 16'' seat tube.

If BansheeTwoTwelve > User Lists > Ignore List > Confirm User List Modification > Yes if a trend then consider me a little scene kid on a bike with no seatpost and bars wider than I am tall.

You obviously know jack shit about bikes and the reasons for why some people ride the way they do.
This is a stupid thread. Banshee, you are a stupid person.

What does it matter to you people how other people's bikes are setup?
Just ride bike, I'm always angry when i see thread like this.... now where the death metal.

D/\M0

Likes Bikes
This thread is full of "LoOoLZzz"

Bretty. is such a trend setter! :p (New signature...zing!)

I've got a old cromo roadie, with 1 gear, and on one hail mary bars. Its super comfy and gets me to work. Am I part of the cheap functional bike that gets me to work trend, or the single speed fixie fags trend?

Yes people who adopt some trend fail miserably, other times trends exist because its an improvement on something previously considered mainstream. If wide bars work for your riding, cool, if not, stick to what works. If single speed or one brake has benefits for your application then whooo harrr, if not then don't adopt the "trend". Why put labels on people?

wolf2560

Likes Dirt
One thing i hate is when you get some little kid that comes out riding with a brand new demo 9 or some other really new bake and were all the pads and gear but cant ride and dont even try to do anything like just stand there and look cool. but yer some people dont really get that you run what ever set up you like as long as in feels right to you it dosnt matter what people say.

God dam posser newbs

Last edited:

Boostpig

Likes Bikes
The scooter rat trend that has taken over skateparks yea it was ages ago but still going strong, They even get in your way at the lbs now eg lil jimmy wants a scooter but he just dosn't want the stock everyday razor, what can he do to trick it up well you got couloured wheels that make you roll cool you got your 2 piece of pipe welded together coat of paint (1 piece bars for an extra $100) to make you look hip the list goes on..... so jimmys mum just spending all this money on his new wheels, only to find a week later jimmy has gone over the handlebars or a skateboard has "accidently" been misplaced in front of his front wheel whilst scooting along and now needs a full jaw reconstruction jimmy asks if he can get a gold tooth to match his little gold bar clamp but mum says no.

Jazz

Likes Bikes
Just a couple of quick questions.

Who wears lycra for DH and why???

God dam posser newbs
Also not sure if it was intentional or not but what has a "posser" (old school stick used in clothes washing) got to do with mountain biking?

Dan.

Farkin guerilla
One thing i hate is when you get some little kid that comes out riding with a brand new demo 9 or some other really new bake and were all the pads and gear but cant ride and dont even try to do anything like just stand there and look cool. but yer some people dont really get that you run what ever set up you like as long as in feels right to you it dosnt matter what people say.

God dam posser newbs
If you just started downhill and your parents offered to buy you a brand new Demo 8 with full TLD kit, Helmet and Pads I doubt you would turn them down.

pinnin

Likes Dirt
Trends

No Gloves ??
Because it feels better???

I'm sure the ladies love the tough twenty year old leather feel of your hands as well

SouthYarraSage

Likes Dirt
How is lycra in DH a bad trend, yes it's not aesthetically pleasing to see the men's Downhill all in lycra, but it is quicker and is also more beneficial to sponsors as it is easier to see the sponsorship details written on lycra. Yes it may be a shit decision for the local kid's to run lycra on the local DH track, because of the injuries that result from crashing.
I don't think it's even a trend. I can count on the fingers of one... finger how many people I have seen doing DH in lycra, outside DVDs of the Worlds.

Now bitching about lycra in DH - there's a trend that's past its use-by date...

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Not true at all. Trends dont necessarily exist because it's better.

Dual crowns on hardtails?Dual crowns are theoreticly better, unless you want to do bar spins,or hit your knees on triples, SUCKER
Lycra in DH?Lycra is faster, only people worried about their appearance would worry about wearing it. It doesn't get hung up on your seat. Seems like a trend whore type person is the one that wouldn't wear lycra, I'd laugh my head off if it became trendy. Personally, I don't wear it. cause I'm slow anyway.
Monsters/Super Monsters? These forks a re F***ing cool, simple as that, doesn't matter if they have a limited purpose, they exist, and I thank marzochhi for them. I had some on my tandem and it would plow through anything.They opened the doors for fork trend design of stiffer fatter stanchions.
Next time you have a thought, let it go;)

Suspension stiffness has nothing to do with how much travel you have. It's all about the internals.
Neither do bars with a rise. ;)
Flat bars by design are stiffer.

Also energy drinks, Its fucking sugar in a can for $6
Sugar and poison, yep drinking that shit aint good for you, or cool.

They are preferences by the people who originally use them or use them for their intended purpose. But to people who see using a Minion DHF on the rear is cool it is a trend.
I also can't justify putting a new rear tyre on, so I put the new tyre on the front, and the used front on the rear;)

Riding whack bikes, even if not better, can be fun as a challenge. A hardtail is definatly slower for DH, but sure is a lot of fun, and arguably more concentration and skill involved.

Last edited:

DWNHLR01

Likes Dirt
Latest trend seems to be everyone pointing out the negatives.

We all ride bikes. We all enjoy it. Done.

Next topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.