Triple J Hottest 100- 2008

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Hang on, so you kept listening AFTER Pretty Fly For A White Guy by the Offspring won it?
Solid point!

What a stinking piece of crap that song was. Just goes to show, just because it's popular doesn't mean it's good.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Four, actually.

And the amount of chords a song has (or doesn't have) isn't necessarily an indicator of a song's overall quality.
Just a fun fact.

I'd hardly think its the majority of people (who listen to commercial radio) who vote in the Hottest 100 anyway. They hear it on commercial radio, the JJJ listeneners hear it on JJJ. It's the JJJ listeners who are voting. (Convoluted and probably exceedingly obvious explanation, basically trying to say it's not the mainstream listeners voting.)

RCOH

Eats Squid
When The Offspring won - they didn't let JJJ put the song on the H100 CD, the only band in the history of the list not to do so.

Solid point!

What a stinking piece of crap that song was. Just goes to show, just because it's popular doesn't mean it's good.
Usually it's quite the opposite. In most cases it seems as though a song has to be the most middle of the road, lowest common denominator type of rubbish to gain that sort of popularity.

Just a fun fact.

I'd hardly think its the majority of people (who listen to commercial radio) who vote in the Hottest 100 anyway. They hear it on commercial radio, the JJJ listeneners hear it on JJJ. It's the JJJ listeners who are voting. (Convoluted and probably exceedingly obvious explanation, basically trying to say it's not the mainstream listeners voting.)
I was working on the theory that in the past, when the voting prize was bigger, trips to overseas festivals and such, that this encouraged more voting from those outside the regular JJJ listeners, resulting in winners such as The Offspring and every second Powderfinger song. In the last few years the prize has lessened and the mainstream crowd maybe doesn't care so much, so we end up with some not so predictable winners like Augie March and Muse.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
I was working on the theory that in the past, when the voting prize was bigger, trips to overseas festivals and such, that this encouraged more voting from those outside the regular JJJ listeners, resulting in winners such as The Offspring and every second Powderfinger song. In the last few years the prize has lessened and the mainstream crowd maybe doesn't care so much, so we end up with some not so predictable winners like Augie March and Muse.
Sounds like a pretty solid theory- only JJJ listeners are interested in free tickets to every JJJ gig through the year.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't vote - just listen on the day and complain.
Hit the nail on the head right there Rod, bring back the old Hottest 100 when it wasn't just limited to that years pitiful offerings. I miss the days of seeing The Doors, Stone Roses, Joy Division and Grand Master Flash in the same countdown. Oh well, they were better times.

Hit the nail on the head right there Rod, bring back the old Hottest 100 when it wasn't just limited to that years pitiful offerings. I miss the days of seeing The Doors, Stone Roses, Joy Division and Grand Master Flash in the same countdown. Oh well, they were better times.
Seconded!

It's been 10 years since they had an all-time hottest 100 so I think it's about time for another.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
I know.

And that makes it even worse; they're supposed to know better!

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Yeah but didn't that mean that Joy Division's epic 'love will tear us apart' won EVERY year! :cool:

Personally I'm going to shit bricks if Glasvegas' 'Geraldine' doesn't get it but I just know it'll probably be MGMT or the Kings of Lame.

wankers.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah but didn't that mean that Joy Division's epic 'love will tear us apart' won EVERY year! :cool:

Personally I'm going to shit bricks if Glasvegas' 'Geraldine' doesn't get it but I just know it'll probably be MGMT or the Kings of Lame.

wankers.
Where's the problem?:p
It was tradition, the other ninety nine were at least re-arranged.;)

Lemontime

Eats Squid
Well I suppose that considering it's the big day this should be revived.

Top 5 so far are:

5. MGMT - Kids
4. Empire of the Sun - Walking on a dream
3. Kings of Leon - Use Somebody

And I'm pretty certain the top two will be Electric Feel and Sex on Fire..