Trump..... (The Sophistry Thread)

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Love all the American companies giving Trump the middle finger with their Super Bowl ads.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Love all the American companies giving Trump the middle finger with their Super Bowl ads.
Sort of agree (not really but understand sentiment) and will make no difference to outcome, thus real question is so what?

Likely a superficial and ineffectual response at best, so don't get too warm, fuzzy and comfortable over it.

Interesting thread, but, to be honest, I reckon the stats released by the Royal Commission (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-...o-child-sexual-abuse-begins-in-sydney/8242600) is the real cause for concern (and we can have influence over).

Admittedly I'm an Atheist, but really beggars belief there are still "believers" in the face of worldwide evidence of a fundamental failure of orthodox religion.
http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebat...ealth/child-abuse-under-the-guise-of-religion

Trump might do well to focus on that in preference to a single secular group, and assumed generalisations. It has had a far more prevalent, profound, immediate and long lasting effect on society.

Then again might be a bit close to home (and perhaps to some on RB).

If we keep doing what we have always done, we will keep getting what we have always got. That is also the fundamental substance of Trumps success.

FFS supporting (really) middle finger in Superbowls ads, yeah that will really change the world (not).

As they say, if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

Last edited:

Haakon

It feeds into the American culture more than you suspect I suspect - Super Bowl and consumerism are American religions. These ads on their own are meaningless, but they normalise notions of acceptance of other people and resistance to trump's brand of politics. It all helps in the long run.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Sort of agree (not really but understand sentiment) and will make no difference to outcome, thus real question is so what?

Likely a superficial and ineffectual response at best, so don't get too warm, fuzzy and comfortable over it.

Interesting thread, but, to be honest, I reckon the stats released by the Royal Commission (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-...o-child-sexual-abuse-begins-in-sydney/8242600) is the real cause for concern (and we can have influence over).

Admittedly I'm an Atheist, but really beggars belief there are still "believers" in the face of worldwide evidence of a fundamental failure of orthodox religion.
http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebat...ealth/child-abuse-under-the-guise-of-religion

Trump might do well to focus on that in preference to a single secular group, and assumed generalisations. It has had a far more prevalent, profound, immediate and long lasting effect on society.

Then again might be a bit close to home (and perhaps to some on RB).

If we keep doing what we have always done, we will keep getting what we have always got. That is also the fundamental substance of Trumps success.

FFS supporting (really) middle finger in Superbowls ads, yeah that will really change the world (not).

As they say, if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.
At that awkward stage between not enough and too much red wine hey?

stirk

Burner
I watched a few before getting completely bored as they were all absolutely shite and didn't pick up any anti Trump sentiment. I suspect many were filmed before he won the election anyway.

Which ones in particular are flipping the bird?

Last edited:

Haakon

I watched a few before getting completely bored as they were all absolutely white and didn't pick up any anti Trump sentiment. I suspect many were filmed before he won the election anyway.

Which ones in particular are flipping the bird?
Coca Cola, AirBnB, Budweiser, a timber company called 84 Lumber in particular wasnt sutble. And some others.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Either way its gonna be a wild ride.
Media is loving him in a way = something crazy and newsworthy every day.

Beej1

Either way its gonna be a wild ride.
Media is loving him in a way = something crazy and newsworthy every day.
That's part of the aforementioned 'problem'. If the media are doing anything other than highlighting the disturbing nature of having a mentally incapable CIC surrounded by ultra-conservative religious right-wing advisors with the ability to stack the Supreme Court in their favour, then they're normalising the situation.

Nothing about this is normal. It shouldn't just be: "look what silly thing our eccentric president did today" told in whatever way to get viewers watching their ads. It should be: "here's what he did, here's the consequences of those actions, here's why that could be troublesome for most of you."

Not enough outlets are doing this, from what I can tell.