Trump..... (The Sophistry Thread)

moorey

call me Mia
Aaaaand the Trump Foundation is under the radar, involving him and Eric, DJ and Ivanka.
The ‘charity’ funds have repeatedly been used for Trumps personal legal bills, and seemingly for paying affair hush money.

That said, I still think Manafort is the big issue, and his second trial next month (obstruction of justice, failing to register as a foreign agent and conspiracy to launder money as part of an indictment) will be the money shot. Mueller has delegated everything else, but retained to one all to oversee personally.
He’s already looking at spending the rest of his life in jail though. Not sure what incentive there is for him to flip if he hasn’t already.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
He’s already looking at spending the rest of his life in jail though. Not sure what incentive there is for him to flip if he hasn’t already.
Trump has already been signalling that he'll pardon Manafort so he has no reason to flip. Plead not guilty the whole way, get convicted, get a pardon, walk free. Trump undermines the credibility of the Mueller investigation inoculating his base against the outrage that will happen when he grants the pardon.

moorey

call me Mia
Trump has already been signalling that he'll pardon Manafort so he has no reason to flip. Plead not guilty the whole way, get convicted, get a pardon, walk free. Trump undermines the credibility of the Mueller investigation inoculating his base against the outrage that will happen when he grants the pardon.
I don’t think he will.
Pretty sure there’s state charges looming. Can’t pardon those.

moorey

call me Mia
If there’s one think his base won’t like, it’s huge tax fraud. They’ve been happy to tolerate Russian ties, adultery and lies....but pardoning Manafort will not play well, even with his base.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I don't think it matters, to be honest. Trumps base doesn't work on substance.

Trump boasted about barely paying tax during the presidential debates, said it made him smart to succeed in doing so. Didn't hurt him. A lot of the right think that taxes are an imposition rather than a duty.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It's the wait that would have Manafort nervous. What if Trump gets whacked before he can pardon Manafort? What if Manafort gets popped inside before the pardon goes through? It could all come down pretty fast.

moorey

call me Mia
I don't think it matters, to be honest. Trumps base doesn't work on substance.

Trump boasted about barely paying tax during the presidential debates, said it made him smart to succeed in doing so. Didn't hurt him. A lot of the right think that taxes are an imposition rather than a duty.
Not paying much tax is one think, defrauding the US of A might be another.
The way I see it, if he pardons him, he’s screwed. If he doesn’t, and Manafort wants to avoid dying in jail, he’s screwed.
I remain optimistic.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
None of these things are enough to end him. They are just a continuation of what everyone already knew or expected of him and the won't shift his base or that of most Reps.

The Russia thing is still the end game.

moorey

call me Mia
Disagree. That will be his greatest legacy, but mainly domestic discretions will push him out before the worst Russia matters have an impact. Won’t make mid terms

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Lol, 75 days? Doubt it.

More chance of it after the mids, should the Reps cop a hiding. And I’d say that’s greatest chance, a constant flow of scandals eroding confidence and support from standard reps and the Christian Right plus greater energising of the opposition and the Reps that don’t lose their seats shift to supporting impeachment to save their own arses.

Then everyone shifts to dealing with all the journos getting killed and the targeting of Dem offices by Qanon loonies and idiots that buy into Trumps inevitable claims of a coup.

moorey

call me Mia
I just don’t think the GOP will want to head into the mid terms with him there. Some of his most staunch supporters are washing their hands of him.
Either way, he’s not serving his full term.