Trump..... (The Sophistry Thread)

John U

MTB Precision
And where did that budget end up once it was put to parliment and the rest of the coalition party room?

Penalty rates weren't proposed to be abolished, they were to be adjusted so Sunday matches Saturday's rate.
Budget got the tick of approval from the coalition as far as I'm aware. The majority of the shit in it was blocked by others, not the lnp, in the senate. My recollection may be wrong.

Ok, not fucking them off but reducing them. I hate working weekends. Anyone who does it deserves every cent they get.

John U

MTB Precision
Back to Trump. Turnbull rated as the worst conversation of the day. Details of this comment provided to the media.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
You missed Hockey's first budget. No dole for the first 6 months. More recently Fuck off penalty rates. There's quite a list that would go against what you've just said.

You may be correct for a certain bunch of people.
Quite a list, but you haven't mentioned any.

Let's see, minimum wage $7 versus $17
For under 30's in Aus, it was briefly a 6 month wait till you got UE benefits .
In the US, generally at 6months it stops (well they need to fill all those $7 an hour jobs I suppose)

Try being long term unemployable in the US, and see how you go

Penalty rates? You serious? working on a Sunday is worth double working on a Saturday? Having staffed retail, I can tell you, retail on Sunday's is understaffed and people compete for those shifts because they are overpaid. And do you have workers in the US on double time just because it's Sunday?

Gee, that long list didn't last long. The USA is a shit of a place to be an unskilled worker, Aussie have no idea how important those tips are to enable the waitress to actually live

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anybody on a call with Turnbull to get a definitive answer on anything in anybody's interest other than his & the loon pond was going to consider it a painful conversation.

Bit unusual to leak comments of a private conversation though.

John U

MTB Precision
Quite a list, but you haven't mentioned any.

Let's see, minimum wage $7 versus $17
For under 30's in Aus, it was briefly a 6 month wait till you got UE benefits .
In the US, generally at 6months it stops (well they need to fill all those $7 an hour jobs I suppose)

Try being long term unemployable in the US, and see how you go

Penalty rates? You serious? working on a Sunday is worth double working on a Saturday? Having staffed retail, I can tell you, retail on Sunday's is understaffed and people compete for those shifts because they are overpaid. And do you have workers in the US on double time just because it's Sunday?

Gee, that long list didn't last long. The USA is a shit of a place to be an unskilled worker, Aussie have no idea how important those tips are to enable the waitress to actually live
My comment was in relation to your claimed support of these things by conservatives in Australia.

I have no disagreement with your point that life is better for the average person in Australia than the USA.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Anybody on a call with Turnbull to get a definitive answer on anything in anybody's interest other than his & the loon pond was going to consider it a painful conversation.

Bit unusual to leak comments of a private conversation though.
Bwahaha - just read the whole story. Deadset, trump is a muppet!

He can't possibly last long in the game without any self control. I can also imagine Malcolm Turnbull being infuriatingly calm and measured. Actually perhaps Kevin is the only leader we've had in 30 years that wouldn't have been calm and measured.

You can see MT driving journos nuts all the time because they can't get a rise.

Funny story...

Beej1

Wow.

The phone call and whingey tweet have their own black seperate heading section for all the related stories at the top of The Age online.

Welcome to the new reality: the (purposefully) leaked details of a phone call between our lackluster PM and an unhinged Twitter-happy POTUS is pseudo-front-page newsworthy.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Welcome to the new reality: the (purposefully) leaked details of a phone call between our lackluster PM and an unhinged Twitter-happy POTUS is pseudo-front-page newsworthy.
In one corner we have the reality TV guy with a preference for eastern European models that also knows his way around Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings. In the other corner we have man who virtually invented the internet in Australia.

[video=youtube;18owzYfvIcE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18owzYfvIcE[/video]

We must have fell into an alternate reality timeline recently .........

Anyhow, I'm just waiting to see who Trump will declare war on first.
I thought Dubya had that one nailed but I think Trump sure has it in him after banging the desk (ahem....with his fist) a few times.

Why can't Presidents act as a wise statesmen anymore.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Reckon he will get impeached before he is allowed to start a war.
It will be an interesting term, I reckon he will go all guns blazing till the republicans say enough.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Who's going to take him down? Republicans control both house of reps and senate. In order to be removed from office, there needs to be a 2/3 rds majority vote in the senate after impeachment.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think when he goes too far combined with the fear of losing their seats the republicans will turn on him.
Apparently the only bloke that tipped Trump to win reckons he won't last either.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Don't agree that republicans need to think they are going to lose their seats, they just need to realise they don't have any control over him.

As well as control, there is conservative policy that trump doesn't get, so he certainly isn't popular within the GOP

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Don't agree that republicans need to think they are going to lose their seats, they just need to realise they don't have any control over him.

As well as control, there is conservative policy that trump doesn't get, so he certainly isn't popular within the GOP
Yeah, this whole protectionist, isolationism bullshit Trump trumpets is anathema to most Republicans, most of whom believe the free market is the Deity That Must Be Obeyed and not impinged upon in any way. They're already starting to reign him in (look at his backdown on torture). I'm sure they'll engineer a way to "remove" him if he becomes too much of a liability.

I initially welcomed Trump as the Republican Primary winner because at least he wasn't Ted Cruz. Now I'm not so sure..