Trump..... (The Sophistry Thread)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Will throw into the misogynist mix that we already have, and look at one of Michael Moore's current thoughts about Trump and his daughter.

moorey

call me Mia
@johnny, is Papadopoulos (on behalf of the Republicans) trying really hard to poison the well? I’ve only given this story a cursory read over the last 2 years, but the ‘details’ seem to have changed dramatically in the last month or so.
I can’t say I have much love for, or trust in for Downer, but his story seems to check out, from what I can glean.

Binaural

Eats Squid
(side note: banging out some old school Ministry in my car on the way to basketball tonight)

So, who's been keeping track of the Rosenstein sweepstakes? The leaking of an old, unfavourable story to the New York Times looks an awful lot as if it's a setup to bait Trump into canning Rosenstein and causing holy hell to break loose prior to the mid-term elections for Congress. He's been on death row for a long time because he appointed Mueller, but Trump has held off to date because he doesn't really have a plausible performance-related reason to can him and his friendly senators have warned him it would be construed as obstruction of justice otherwise.

moorey

call me Mia
I think he’s likely to be fired today. They’ve been looking for an excuse....this is a pathetic one, and a joke....but all they will need to justify it.
It will trigger a constitutional crisis that would destroy any administration...other than this one.
Fortunately, I don’t think his successor will trigger a shutdown of the Mueller investigation
I’m more immediately concerned about the vote on Kavanaugh today. It’s criminal that they won’t refer the matter to the FBI, or even give Blasey Ford a chance to prepare for a fair hearing.

moorey

call me Mia
It’s not about prosecuting him, it’s about his suitability for a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court.
He’s already the least popular candidate in history. They just want to rush him in to protect Trump and kill Roe V Wade....for starters.

Binaural

Eats Squid
@Zaf: not ridiculous at all. The FBI investigated Anita Hill's claims, took 3 days. The fact these allegations are raised during a confirmation process to a federal position makes them a federal matter. This is why another federal body (Judiciary committee) is "investigating" the claims, however un-enthusiastically.

They are old allegations, sure. But this is a lifetime appointment to the safest position in the federal government, and virtually impossible to impeach. The leading cause of leaving the Supreme court is dying of old age. This is also why it is very poor form to try and rush him through, withholding access to pertinent documents for when he was a Republican political operative and other chicanery, against the custom of maximum transparency for a supreme court nominee. There are other issues, such as his likely perjury to Congress and unexplained gambling debts that look an awful lot like money laundering.

For an example of what happens when partisan fervour overcomes choosing great judges, see Clarence Thomas. Jammed in after Anita Hill accused him credibly of sexual harassment, he's asked exactly one question in the last 10 years. His history when he came to the court was also one more consistent with a political activist than legal scholar, and so he's turned out to be.

Binaural

Eats Squid
I should probably note for context that not asking questions of the people before the court is not, by itself, a sign that Thomas is a shitty judge (he's indicated that he just doesn't get much out of oral arguments). But like Alito, he basically never rules outside of what he would like the outcome to be, and for a man as rigidly conservative as he is, that tends to result in rulings that favour causes like free speech for corporations and other nonsense.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Well, it's not super surprising that a man who'd act in that manner towards one woman would do the same towards another. Bear in mind that the first woman and no doubt this one are getting doxxed and are suffering all kinds of harassment for speaking out (and would have expected this), and so deserve a fair hearing.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Well, it's not super surprising that a man who'd act in that manner towards one woman would do the same towards another. Bear in mind that the first woman and no doubt this one are getting doxxed and are suffering all kinds of harassment for speaking out (and would have expected this), and so deserve a fair hearing.
Oi yeah nah it was their fault for wat they waz wearin roight! They was askin for it

moorey

call me Mia
Never picked you as a rape apologist, @Zaf...the more you know.

All I want to see is it cleared up either way before a LIFETIME appointment.
They won’t even let her use a witness...who is Kavanaugh’s friend and the alleged accomplice...who has unofficially backed him. It’s clear they don’t want to know.

I’ll just leave this here...

94C56777-B7E0-4C3B-A1AF-D51966720B1C.jpeg