Tubeless - puncture not sealing

cogs19

Likes Bikes
Hiya,

I've been using tubeless for a few years. Generally it's been fine. However, I recently had a puncture which wouldn't seal. It didn't seem to be a huge hole (but I guess it's all relative). The hole would seal at lower pressure, but as soon as I pumped the tyre up the sealant would spray out in a kind of fine mist.

My question is, how big a hole can you have with the sealant still being effective?

And am I doing something wrong with the sealant (ie should I be replacing it more often than every few months, or should I be spinning my wheels after my bike lays dormant for a week or longer)?

Any advice would be helpful.

I have Mavic Crossmax wheels and they seal great to the rim. The problem tyre was a new-ish Racing Ralph. And the sealant is Stans.

Cogs.

Z

Zaf

Can depend on position of the puncture too. Anecdotally, holes close to bead are a nightmare to seal and have a real habit of re-opening; likely to do with with them being away from the usual splash zone of sealant during wheel rotation.
With holes that re-open on pressure changes, I have had varying success sealing them by adding some extra sealant, making sure the hole is right at the bottom of the tyre and then pushing the tyre up to 40psi and letting it seal under pressure. If you are in the workshop, clamp the tyre into a stand and put a cup underneath the hole, that way you can reuse the sealant that pisses out the hole.

teK--

Eats Squid
Try using a sealing plug such as dynaplug or genuine innovations plug.

or, rubber reinforced superglue

all depends on size of hole and position as mentioned. sealant won't seal all.

jamesb888

Likes Bikes
You could have some water in your sealant which would make it runnier and obviously not plug up aswell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
Super glue. Let pressure out of tyre, glue and repump. Slashed a plus tyre in 5 places.Super glue saved me from tube Ing up or walking.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Stans race sealant is thicker than the regular on so might be worth giving that a go.
Video in the link to show the difference:
https://factoryjackson.com/2016/05/06/stans-race-sealant-review/

Maybe try puncture patching it from the inside of the tyre (after removing sealant, cleaning and drying) or filling the hole with a puncture slug?
I've only recently converted to tubeless so that above two suggestions may have a downside that I'm unaware of

PEMBS

Squid
I also have used a tube patch on the inside to great effect.

If there is any significant deformation/bulge in the area, the tyre structure is probably compromised and should be replaced.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I have used urethane glue and patches on the inside or outside works perfectly. need to sand the rubber roughly first.
Urethane glue eg seamseal is excellent.

floz

Likes Dirt
I got a Velox Tubeless Repair Kit, and patched a tyre with a 2 cm cut caused by a stick going through my rear tyre. The patches don't flex like normal patches for tubes, so no bulge occurs. So far so good.

cogs19

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the feedback.

On the weekend I fixed the tyre with a patch on the inside and superglue over the (very small) hole. The hole was at the base of a knob and if I pushed the knob to the side it opened up the hole significantly more (boy, that sentence sounds dodgy!). So I think while the hole was small it was in an awkward spot.

Anyway, the tyre is now holding air with no issues.

Cogs

Last edited:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Had the same happen to me, twice in quick succession. The
first I plugged with a cheap plug kit off eBay, the second has sealed up using Orange Seal instead of Stans.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Bit of a thread dig, triggered by a flat I had last night - must have found some broken glass on the blacktop as i was riding to the local trails for a night ride. Per @cogs19 above, it was a 5-6mm long cut at the base of a centre knob. The Orange Seal in the tyre that hadn’t yet sprayed out all over the arse end of the bike including the brake rotor did its best to seal the hole but it kept opening up again. My riding mate had a Dynaplug kit that we ended up using and after a bit of faffing around, we were on our way again.

Made me think that I should add some form of tubeless repair kit to the pack, so I’m wondering what folks use and swear by?

Jpez

Down on the left!
I use a cheap ass kit I got on eBay. About $50 less than Dyna plugs.
Used it a few times and it’s worked a treat.
Sealed a gash in the side wall and the plug is still there.
But, I still carry a tube.

Scotty675

Cable thief
Tube and one of these patches

Because it sucks when you do a side wall. A business card will get you out of trouble to.