Tubeless setup

moorey

call me Mia
Depends on the wheel. Stans have a pretty low recommended pressure. Easy to blow a tyre off above 50psi. Better than destroying a rim I guess.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Depends on the wheel. Stans have a pretty low recommended pressure. Easy to blow a tyre off above 50psi. Better than destroying a rim I guess.
It's also dependent on the tire size, so two factors at work.
Haven't exploded a tire off the rim in at least .......4 months :oops:

stirk

Burner
I am a rim blow virgin.

MTB rim of course.....

+50psi to seat a bead!

I'll reset, re-lube and try again, nice....and........slow.....

Stretch it out without tear.

BT180

Max Pfaff
I get scared going above 30psi! Never had to go above 40 and usually only 30-35 to seat the tyre.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Polyimide tape works well as a rim tape. It's very flexible so beds well into rims with obvious valleys, and comes in different thicknesses. Kapton is probably the best known brand, but you can get unbranded versions.

I got one of these pumps years ago, and it's never failed me when seating a tyre.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I get scared going above 30psi! Never had to go above 40 and usually only 30-35 to seat the tyre.
It’s rare I go below 30psi :oops:

What rims?

my DJ bike I whack 60 out back, 55ish front. Mavic 729’s. I’ve had some big cases and hyucks to flat too.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
The Mavic XA rims that arrived today have 45psi max written on them. That's a pretty small operating window :oops:

Still, the Vittorias went on the rim a shit load easier than they ever did on the DTs and still sealed with just a roadie track pump

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Although many rims have recommended maximum pressures, that's more of a longer-term running pressure.Very short bursts (sorry, unintended pun) of higher pressure to seat a tyre won't harm the rim, just reduce the pressure once the tyre is seated. I've seen multiple rims - mostly aluminium - split around the middle due to excessive pressure over extended periods.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Put your prejudice aside, there are some tyre & rim combinations across all cycling disciplines that are just pains in the arse to seat. Far AM/ "Endooro" tyres & rims are frequently among the least co-operative, although anyone who runs 60psi in anything fatter than 30mm wide tyre needs a kick in the head.....

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
although anyone who runs 60psi in anything fatter than 30mm wide tyre needs a kick in the head.....
rocked up to check out a polygon xx/trail bike last night, 80psi in the tyres—i push on the fork, won’t move ahhh it has a remote lockout on the bars, i click it..still no movement, frig i have just locked them,..must have been over 150psi, puts my finger on the valve for 5 secs, forks spring to life—-french canadian says what you doing, i say the those 2 shiny metal tubes in front supposed to move ups/down—i ask him how many rides you do? 2 he says 1 yarra trail then 1 xc race, scared him he packed up bike then didn’t touch nine months, wasn’t for me he said, not for anyone running those pressures i says back

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I'm getting in an order in preparation for my new bike and I'm looking at sealant!

What's the best one for me based on -

I live in Cairns
I'm shit at maintenance
I rarely puncture

Also, I'll be running 2.4-2.6 Maxxis tyres if that's relevant.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Stans in my experience.
Joes is meant to be OK too
Avoid caffelatex, Peatys, orange seal and basically everything else.