Tubeless setup

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What do I need to setup tubeless, how much should it cost, and what should I get?
There seems to be so many different brands and types I just want to know what the current bang for buck setup is.
It's for 27.5" wheels and previously with trek and I just got their rim strips, valves which you unscrew, and you just squirt in the sealant through the valve.
Thanks
Michael

moorey

call me Mia
2 valves. Maybe $25
Sealant. $20-80 depending on brand and quantity (you need spare). Stans off eBay is like $45 for 800ml.
Bear outdoor masking tape $5 from bunnings.

I assume you have tyres? If not, $45-60 from The Bicycle Entrepreneur for nice maxxis.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Isopropyl Alcohol is the go for rotors.

But don't go too hard or you'll take off the embedded brake pad material and you'll have to bed in your brakes again

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks everyone. So is it normal now to fill up through the valve or do people pour it into the open tyre still?

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2 valves. Maybe $25
Sealant. $20-80 depending on brand and quantity (you need spare). Stans off eBay is like $45 for 800ml.
Bear outdoor masking tape $5 from bunnings.

I assume you have tyres? If not, $45-60 from The Bicycle Entrepreneur for nice maxxis.
Yep pretty sure tyres tubeless ready. I also think the rims came ready with tape on the inside too.

moorey

call me Mia
Yep pretty sure tyres tubeless ready. I also think the rims came ready with tape on the inside too.
They often have tape to protect the tube from the spoke holes, but it isn’t sealed tape for tuneless. (Yours may be, can’t tell without seeing)

Jpez

Down on the left!
Thanks everyone. So is it normal now to fill up through the valve or do people pour it into the open tyre still?
I always pop a bead and pour it in that way.
Gives me a chance to see how much is in there and check it’s condition.
There are little jiggers available for checking the level and refill via the valve but I can’t be bothered with that.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
pour in open, i find it too slow filling thru valve...not to mention the no. of valve core removers i’ve lost

Flow-Rider

Burner
I never open the bead to refill, I get removable valve cores and a syringe with a small bit of hose on the end and just fill through the stem hole. When you keep on removing the bead it can disturb the rim tape plus you need to waste sealant resealing that part of the tyre again and also when you're trying to seat a new tyre with sealant in it, it can be problematic too if you can't get it to seat the first time or you pop the bead and cover everything with sealant.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I never open the bead to refill, I get removable valve cores and a syringe with a small bit of hose on the end and just fill through the stem hole. When you keep on removing the bead it can disturb the rim tape plus you need to waste sealant resealing that part of the tyre again and also when you're trying to seat a new tyre with sealant in it, it can be problematic too if you can't get it to seat the first time or you pop the bead and cover everything with sealant.
How do you go determining how much sealant is still in there?

moorey

call me Mia
I do both in the valve and sometimes opening the bead, depending on mood. Never had an issue disturbing rim tape, losing sealant, or resealing.

moorey

call me Mia
Also, if you deflate and squeeze the sidewalls together, if they stick together, it’s pretty much assured it’s all dried up.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
I used to inject the sealant through the valve, but not anymore as it caked the valve core with gunks and thus interfere with the air flow when pumping the tyre up. I've tried cleaning the valve up with cotton bud and stuff, but still not that great.

I found popping the bead and pour the sealant in works just as well.