Two dead, Two in hospital...driver fine

Duff_Man

Likes Dirt
On Friday night a few of my mates were in a car crash in Kilsyth. There were five of them in the car; all of them had been drinking, including the driver. The driver was speeding, around 130km in a 60km zone (alleged), anyhow he lost control and they hit a tree. Everyone was ejected from the car and sustained injuries. The only female in the car, Jess (I didn’t know her) was killed instantly as she and two others were thrown out the back windscreen and onto the road. Jess was sitting in the left rear. Chris who was in the front passenger seat, sustained massive injuries and was taken to hospital but sadly he died on Sunday morning (it was his car). The other two in the back who went out the back window landed on the road also, Mark broke his collar bone, all the ribs on his left side, internal bleeding, ruptured spleen, broken pelvis, punctured lung etc. The other guy in the back, Jarred, suffered minor injuries in comparison to the others, but was fuked up and as you can imagine emotionally smashed. He and jess landed next to each other and he had to lie next to her as she died......the driver, jimmy, who is one of my good friend’s boy friend, and good mates with all the people in the car walked away from it. He however is not handling it to well as you can imagine...he will have to live with it for the rest of his life and as a result of his actions will probably go to jail for some time. I know he fuked up and as a result of his actions all this shit has happened. But for some reason i just don’t think that jail is an appropriate punishment...and as strange as this may seem i almost think that he has and will suffer enough without needing to go to jail.

The crash happened at around 1.30 on Friday night and it wasn’t until 5.00pm on Saturday that I found out. I was down hilling at Narby when I got the phone call. First thing that came to mind was fuk, what the fuk, you know it can happen, and you know that with the people you hang out with and the stupid things that you do it is only a matter of time but you just think nah fuk that it wont happen to me. All the information that was going around was not accurate at all, fare from it, and not really stuff that you can throw around either. I got told that Jarred, who I am pretty good mates with was on life support and not going to live through the night…mark was still in ICU and Chris was not looking good. I was like fuk I got to get home.

When me and a mate got to the Hospital we were told that Jarred was fine and was talking, but unfortunately that Mark had died………it was like wat the fuk..it didn’t seem real..and it didn’t seem to have an affect..like what…you sure. So we went to see Jarred. He was awake but pretty fuked up and sad, he had also been told that Mark had died. So as we were with him my phone is going fukin nuts and ppl are trying to find out what is happening and I am telling them “yeh mark has died this is fuked” we then got another phone call saying Mark is fine, he is in ICU and talking. By this stage we are like fuk this lets go check if he is. So we left Jarred and down we went to find him and there is he pretty banged up but talking none the less. As we were leaving we spoke to a few other people about chris, who was at the royal melbourne, and they said that he was in a bad way but he is a fighter and was in surgery.......

The whole thing just seems fuked, like I am only close to Jarred really but still would see the others a bit. I couldn’t imagine how I would feel if this happened to me or my really close mates. I was looking at pics of all the boys on my computer and just thinking fuk man that guy is dead...wtf??? The thing that has got me fuked is the I cant stop thinking about it….you hear about shit like this all the time and you just brush it off…but when it happens to people you know it is all different………

dhd

Downhill Direct
Sorry to hear Duff Man. That all sounds pretty full on. Been there a few times myself and I can assure that although it hurts like hell you will get through it. Keep ya chin up and try and help others around you suffering the same greif.

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am not trying to sound rude or anything, and I feel so sorry for you and all your mates parents and friends, but it is very different when you involved in something this horrific.

Lets say you had no connection with the people involved in this what so ever. If it was on the news and you heard/saw it, you would think well, what an idiot (I am not calling your mate an idiot) and if they said he had 12 months jail and a big fine, you would probably say, well he deserved it. The thing is when it happens to you personally and your mate is in the wrong, it is a different story.

I guess my main point is that there are laws and thats why we should follow them, so things like this don't happen any where as often. If there were no laws and you friend just gets of scott free, well it almost defeats the purpose.

Don't get me wrong this is a horrible accident and my deepest condolences are with you, and your friends parents and loved ones, such a tragedy.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've lost two mates in two seperate accidents over the past six months. The most fucked shit ever. It's a completely surreal and fucked up feeling which no one should have to go through. The best thing to do is stick tight with mates and the families of those involved.

I feel for you man.

{ScarFace}

Likes Dirt
If there were no laws and you friend just gets of scott free, well it almost defeats the purpose.
Scott free?

He's going to have to live the rest of his life knowing that he killed his friends. Everyday he is going to wake up and wish that he was in there place.

Personally I would rather go to jail.

Smacks

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shit...I have no idea how much something like this would fuck someone up.

Make sure the driver knows there are people who'll still care for him, I imagine there'd be some pretty dark thoughts running through his head right about now.

Last edited:

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
It's terrible to hear about these stories. I am very sorry to hear about this, and I can imagine it is a hard thing to deal with.

. I know he fuked up and as a result of his actions all this shit has happened. But for some reason i just don’t think that jail is an appropriate punishment...and as strange as this may seem i almost think that he has and will suffer enough without needing to go to jail.
This just seems to reinforce the judgement in that other case being talked about in another thread. All condolences aside, your mate truly was a fucking idiot. Absolutely is jail an appropriate punishment. He has suffered a lot, so I can't see how jail time would be hard suffering compared with what he has to live with for the rest of his life.

Drink driving at over double the speed limit is a very serious offense irrespective of who was killed or injured; but this stuff just can't keep happening. People need to take responsibility for their mistakes.

Ozza

Eats Squid
Sorry to hear Jack..
The girl in the car who passed away (Jess) went to my school and finished last year. Its just wierd knowing somebody you know isnt going to be around anymore. RIP

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Absolutely is jail an appropriate punishment. He has suffered a lot, so I can't see how jail time would be hard suffering compared with what he has to live with for the rest of his life.
Bullshit. The chances of the guy knecking himself would be ten fold. You can't honestly say that's a good thing can you?

Being in the slam for an extended amount of time would do fuck all in the means of rehabilitating the driver. It does fuck all in the rehabilitation of people who have committed a crime which has been caused by any sort of psychological dissorder, so how would it do any good for someone who has been through what this guy has and is going to have to deal with.

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bullshit. The chances of the guy knecking himself would be ten fold. You can't honestly say that's a good thing can you?

Being in the slam for an extended amount of time would do fuck all in the means of rehabilitating the driver. It does fuck all in the rehabilitation of people who have committed a crime which has been caused by any sort of psychological dissorder, so how would it do any good for someone who has been through what this guy has and is going to have to deal with.
Im going to agree with you Breaka, although the system is there for a reason. It's bloody awful hearing news like this and even worse when someone you know is involved and worse again if they are in the wrong. My condolences are with you and all those involved, mate. Goes to show, drink driving 'aint smart!

RIP

chu

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i hope they rest in peace...but honestly what did he expect...drunk + 70kmh over the speed limit = possible deadly car crash...i feel sorry for him and everyone in the families involved but it is his fault

Oliver.

Liquid Productions

Ten fold? Got any stats to back that up? I think if he wants to commit suicide, he'd just as likely do it at home as he would in jail.

At least if he was locked up he would at least MAYBE think it a justifiable punishment for what he has done, it might help him deal with his anguish by at least being punished for it.

Not to mention, it would be harder to commit suicide in jail
Also, when he is released he will have better mental control of being able to 'start fresh'

There is a lesser chance of rehab if you go to prison, yes. But I think it's totally outweighed by all the circumstances surrounding this situation.

What happens if he doesn't go to jail?

Is it fine to drink and drive at over twice the speed limit, kill two people DIRECTLY because of his fucking stupid decision? A fine and a two-year driving suspension?

But hang on, he killed his MATES, then its ALLLL ok! After all, you're allowed to kill your mates as long as you feel sad and suffer afterwards.:rolleyes:

It's a pretty sore point with me as a drink driver killed my uncle. So don't try and say I "just don't get it."

chu

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ten fold? Got any stats to back that up? I think if he wants to commit suicide, he'd just as likely do it at home as he would in jail.

At least if he was locked up he would at least MAYBE think it a justifiable punishment for what he has done, it might help him deal with his anguish by at least being punished for it.

Not to mention, it would be harder to commit suicide in jail
Also, when he is released he will have better mental control of being able to 'start fresh'

There is a lesser chance of rehab if you go to prison, yes. But I think it's totally outweighed by all the circumstances surrounding this situation.

What happens if he doesn't go to jail?

Is it fine to drink and drive at over twice the speed limit, kill two people DIRECTLY because of his fucking stupid decision? A fine and a two-year driving suspension?

But hang on, he killed his MATES, then its ALLLL ok! After all, you're allowed to kill your mates as long as you feel sad and suffer afterwards.:rolleyes:

It's a pretty sore point with me as a drink driver killed my uncle. So don't try and say I "just don't get it."
exactly right

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Sorry to hear dude, I can imagine it feeling very "surreal" and almost fake when you hear news like that, I can't speak from experience though

I suppose all you can do is learn from their actions and look on the bright side - Some of your good mates made it out alive. Hope they mend up (both physically and mentally) quickly..... though I don't doubt it will take a bit to heal mentally

Duff_Man

Likes Dirt
thanks for all the responses guys...

It is sad that the whole thing has happened, but the worst thing i think is the guys that are still in hospital suffer the most, i mean not only has Jess and Chris died but they will also loose jimmy to it aswell. Another shit thing about it is that jess, from what i know, sorta got hung up in it aswell. These boys suffer from actions related to the way they live their lives...they take risks, drink and drive, speed etc etc, it could have easily been either of them driving, but this girl was only 18 and in some way is an innocent victim.....not to say that Chris got what was comming, by no means do i mean that. These boys are all top blokes and i wish that this had never happened but when you look at the cause you cant help but to say wtf..??

As for jail...i think i know what i would be thinking every day, it would take one strong mother fuker to come out of it alive...and honestly i dont think i would have the courage to....i mean not to say that jail shouldnt be an option, otherwise ppl might abuse the system. But there should be some other option/rehabilitation process....

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Not exactly, but I know a few people people who have been in clink. Pressure put on you by other in-mates is immense. The chances of being fucked up the arse are more likely than not. Being locked up in MAX (which I assume he would be considering he killed two people) would be insanely difficult. I don't think the strongest of us could survive in there without even contemplating suicide.

At least if he was locked up he would at least MAYBE think it a justifiable punishment for what he has done, it might help him deal with his anguish by at least being punished for it. I get what you're saying here however.

Not to mention, it would be harder to commit suicide in jail Are you serious? Any duty of care that you would expect any guard to have is completely absent. Materials are easy to get your hands aswell. A person I know said that one bloke in his block would go missing atleast once a week, atleast.
Also, when he is released he will have better mental control of being able to 'start fresh' How so? people become institutionalised. anyone who has been under such rigid control finds it hard to adapt to normal life. Ordinary things like going down to the shops for bread and milk become extremely difficult and can set off things like anxiety attacks. You'd be surprised to know how many people actually repeat offend just to get back inside, something they are used to.

Is it fine to drink and drive at over twice the speed limit, kill two people DIRECTLY because of his fucking stupid decision? A fine and a two-year driving suspension? Definately not. He does need to be punished but I don't think I'll leave that question for johnny to answer

It's a pretty sore point with me as a drink driver killed my uncle. So don't try and say I "just don't get it." I wasn't intending to. Believe you me, I know the grief this sort of shit can cause.
I did take some of what you said out of there olly as you've made some decent points.