Two dead, Two in hospital...driver fine

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
I did take some of what you said out of there olly as you've made some decent points.
Yeah, look maybe what I said was a bit too much too soon; I do realise that jail in almost any circumstances is NOT a good an d proper punishment, its just the start of a slippery slope. But I think its important that one understand the flip side of jail (i.e. not going to jail, not being punished that way) as being worse (to society in general).

It's more the case that he needs to be institutionalised, perhaps in minimum security or similar (I have no idea how the jail system works). At the minimum, some jail time should very much be on the cards; and I think a sort of 'rigidly controlled' environment as you call it, would be vital in helping him get to grips with everything. Hell, they should make him join the army for three or four years....that'd be the way I'd suggest.

Nmag

Likes Dirt
This is reality, people die. My comments are going to offend you because the following amount of reality is going to appear cruel. Possibly because you don't have kids yet, and a desire to take things into your own hands rather than ring gun-wielding pen-pushers (the cops).

If you have P's and have not been followed home and had the shit kicked out of you in your driveway after doing a wheeley in a street, chances are, it was not my street. Try to think before you act. When you have kids you will understand. To think that people call police (and not take things into their own hands) is very naive. All those fatties/oldies are not some kind of pure law abiding bunch of homos who are intimidated by a bunch of piss ant wrecklass drivers. My street is quiet because we don't tolerate that shit, like NWA said all those years ago F da police.. we can do it ourselves, and it works better! hahaa

I think your story is very good, but I still think he is very lucky he did not hit a car with some nice family in it on their way home from Grandmar's. The driver deserves to die, that car could have run into my car with my family in it.

Last edited:

emcgough

Likes Dirt
It's more the case that he needs to be institutionalised, perhaps in minimum security or similar (I have no idea how the jail system works). At the minimum, some jail time should very much be on the cards; and I think a sort of 'rigidly controlled' environment as you call it, would be vital in helping him get to grips with everything. Hell, they should make him join the army for three or four years....that'd be the way I'd suggest.
Yeah it's all well and good to have the driver's best interests at heart, but call me old fashioned.... there needs to be an element of pure punishment dished out to the offender (imo, mind you). The victim's families deserve nothing less. Look, I'll bet he'd have a god awful time in prison, getting raped up the ass, beaten up to within an inch of his life, etc. But gee, I wouldn't forget that he's already taken two lives. The prison system has it's flaws (major bloody huge ones), but I am yet to see a better alternative. And that is the bottom line IMO. The fear of rape/abuse/not ever getting a decent job is enough to keep basically everybody out of prison. As for the rest, you do have to question their value to society.

Condolences to all the lives that this guy has crushed with his actions.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is reality, people die. My comments are going to offend you because the following amount of reality is going to appear cruel. Possibly because you don't have kids yet, and a desire to take things into your own hands rather than ring gun-wielding pen-pushers (the cops).

If you have P's and have not been followed home and had the shit kicked out of you in your driveway after doing a wheeley in a street, chances are, it was not my street. Try to think before you act. When you have kids you will understand. To think that people call police (and not take things into their own hands) is very naive. All those fatties/oldies are not some kind of pure law abiding bunch of homos who are intimidated by a bunch of piss ant wrecklass drivers. My street is quiet because we don't tolerate that shit, like NWA said all those years ago F da police.. we can do it ourselves, and it works better! hahaa

I think your story is very good, but I still think he is very lucky he did not hit a car with some nice family in it on their way home from Grandmar's. The driver deserves to die, that car could have run into my car with my family in it.
No, I don't have kids but as I've said before I've lost two mates over the last six months. One was a single car accident whilst the other was caused by a motorbike doing an estimated speed of 180km/h in a 70km/h zone, the car my mate in was crossing the road to pull into a driveway when the motorbike slammed into the back door (behind the driver) and combusted on impact. It would be fair to say that I've copped the brunt of something similar to what all those involved in the accident of topic and all I can say is that your attitude is fucked. You need to get real about shit.

If you think that belting a kid for pulling a skid is the right thing to do then you need a good hiding yourself (irony eh?). If I (like many others) knew that that was going to happen in a particular street I'd be putting on the old burnout tyres and heading for your street, to enjoy a good fight. I'll get roasted for saying this, but yes I'm a P-plater, I've driven wrecklessly and yes I've pulled a few skids. I'll say this with a smile (might sound like a tough-guy thing to say) but if someone tried your stunt on me, I'd lay them out quick smart :)

Do you smoke ciggarettes by any chance?

Last edited:

Nmag

Likes Dirt
See, you don't get it cause you don't have kids. One day you will understand it.. if you make it that far in life. I also once laid down a bit of rubber here and there with the same attitude.. now I see it differently.

I remember thinking at about 17 that it was weird that my neighbour loosened the wheel nuts on my car once after I carried on in the street I grew up in. Now I respect that attitude.

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian

Sheesh, and this was AFTER your "toning it down" edit :rolleyes:

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
See, you don't get it cause you don't have kids. One day you will understand it.. if you make it that far in life. I also once laid down a bit of rubber here and there with the same attitude.. now I see it differently.

I remember thinking at about 17 that it was weird that my neighbour loosened the wheel nuts on my car once after I carried on in the street I grew up in. Now I respect that attitude.
(without taking over this thread)

No mate, I do get it.

Right, so you respect a dude who put your life in jeporady and others (potentially)? That's what we like to call irony :rolleyes:

And if you used to see things in a less caring way (towards cars, drink driving and accidents) then shouldn't you have a bit of understanding?

Going a bit OT here, but I'll ask this question again. Do you smoke?

i agree the driver deserves to die - believe me, if it was me i would want to. remember that people may keep themselves alive as a selfless act - i would want to kill myself for what i've done, but imagine the impact that would have on my own family. imagine if it was one of your kids, would you still want them to die ? or would a better solution be for them to become an advocate for anti drink-driving or similiar ?

beating the fuck out of someone won't do jack - if it was me you would more than likely end up with a combination of my family and all my mates on your doorstep with shotguns and a commodore doing a burnout in your driveway. THIS is the reason people get the jacks involved. beating the shit out of people will not do a goddamn THING to solve the problem.

for starters: what the fuck, loosening your wheel nuts ?! what the hell says you'd even notice ? would this not INCREASE the likelyhood that you fuck someone up, i.e a wheel flys off at a 100km/h burnout and flys through your living room window ?

secondly, if that's what you were like at that age, and you can totally understand why you were that way, i'm sure that you had people saying the same things to you yes ?

if so, why the FUCK do you expect people that age today to be any different ?!

finally, to go with breaka's question about the cigarettes, you didnt happen to be abused as a kid or grow up in a particularly violent environment did you ?

people who do usually understand nothing else, as it's usually all they've ever known.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Deepest condolences Duff_Man. The best thing you could do is just be there for your mates at this time. One of my mates committed suicide last November, so I know the messed up feeling you are going through. It feels as if you'll just wake up and find out that it was all just a nightmare. When you lose someone, it just reinforces how fleeting life is, and how vulnerable and small we are in our world.

The driver deserves to die, that car could have run into my car with my family in it.
i agree the driver deserves to die.
No one deserves to die. Who are you to pass that sort of judgement on someone? I think that you should think about what you are saying and the impact that your words have before you make them known. The tongue can be a deadly weapon.

Last edited:

Nmag

Likes Dirt
Look, let it go, you don't die from loose wheel nuts on a car, the wheel just rattles a bit as they work loose, you pull over, look at it and realise that it's a warning. I thought it was wacko, but I think I would have prefered that than to him loosing it on me. Wait till you are older. t;snot that bad, most of the action I saw was mainly push and shove while the dude (they all do this) say "It wasn't me". Only once did the father get touched and that was when he came over swinging. In my neighborhood (in my mid 20's) I had plenty of times gone around and saw parents of these nut case 17 year old to explain stuff like "You son stole my my families milk money off the front veranda, you owe my mum $14, pay up". You would be surprised how these tough kids buckle once their mum gets a hold of them. And, 2 of those three idiots are very good mates now who have the utmost respect for me and I pulled them out of all sorts of shit over the years (drug issues mainly).

No doubt the driver would feel really really bad. Stuff him, what about the victims families? My answer to the original question is YES, he should go to jail.

I also think its a very good thread as it brings the story to other dudes around the same age. Nobody wants to see any of you die, even if you do know everything.

kyleman

Likes Dirt
Ye its pretty sad shit..people have been there non stop since..
Cant put the blame on the driver though..its not like they passengers would have been telling him to slow down..I bet the opposite.
One the same sort of accident happened in donvale same night same consiquences.. drink, drive..you get it

|Matt|

Banned
Look, let it go, you don't die from loose wheel nuts on a car, the wheel just rattles a bit as they work loose, you pull over, look at it and realise that it's a warning. I thought it was wacko, but I think I would have prefered that than to him loosing it on me.
You are a massive fuckwit if you think that loosening wheel nuts on a car could not lead to catastrophic consequences. Nuff said....seriously....

Condolences to Duff_Man and to the families. I think I'm generally a pretty tough nut when it comes to emotional issues, but when it comes to things as close to home as causing the death of a friend, I don't think I could live with myself (literally).

Deepest condolences Duff_Man. The best thing you could do is just be there for your mates at this time. One of my mates committed suicide last November, so I know the messed up feeling you are going through. It feels as if you'll just wake up and find out that it was all just a nightmare. When you lose someone, it just reinforces how fleeting life is, and how vulnerable and small we are in our world.

No one deserves to die. Who are you to pass that sort of judgement on someone? I think that you should think about what you are saying and the impact that your words have before you make them known. The tongue can be a deadly weapon.
i don't think i explained myself properly, i apologise.

i would never put myself in that position, ever. i would happily take the place of all the dead people, but i wouldn't because of the love i have for my own family/friends. killing other people is bad enough, but killing myself ? those people shouldn't have gotten in the car, but that's another issue.

Nmag

Likes Dirt
You are a massive fuckwit if you think that loosening wheel nuts on a car could not lead to catastrophic consequences. Nuff said....seriously....

Condolences to Duff_Man and to the families. I think I'm generally a pretty tough nut when it comes to emotional issues, but when it comes to things as close to home as causing the death of a friend, I don't think I could live with myself (literally).
It was done to my car and I didn't die. Try more reading more and posting less, you didn't even answer the original posters question. Should he go to jail?

Last edited:

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow you're a real internet hero dude. Perhaps he was making comment on the fact that loosening wheel nuts could result in a fatal accident?

Sucks Jack, could have been so much worse, but could have been a random breatho that resulted in nothing more than a lost license for a few months. You make bad choices when you're drunk and this one turned out for the worse.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Condoleneces man but detracting from the everyones collective grief, at the end of the day, they were speeding, drinking/drunk and most likely skylarking. Combine that with inexperience (Im guessing P Plates?), its probably the worst possible mix imaginable and every parent/friends nightmare.

If anything is to come out of this for anyone, its the notion that we are not invincible on the roads. You only have to look at the 'So Im wondering how fast this thing goes' thread to see that a fair amount of us are fairly irrisponsible on the roads...thank goodness no one was hurt there but you get my point. Its unfortunate that something like this happens but on the lighter side, maybe a Farker reading tonight might think twice the next time they get in a car or make that choice to act like a dick behind the wheel. It sounds so cliche...something a Police Officer would tell you in Primary school but its so true. Each person in that car has no one to blame but themselves. Easy to say when you arnt directly involved mind you...

Events like this only support the move for VicRoads to reassess the P-Plate laws etc.

*shrugs* Im a local so I thought I should put my two bobs worth in.

Last edited:

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
It was done to my car and I didn't die. Try more reading more and posting less, you didn't even answer the original posters question. Should he go to jail?
So you're saying that just because nothing happened to you in that particular one-time-instance, it can't happen differently for others? Also, he wasn't referring to you getting injured (you being inside the car), I think he was insinuating that it could cause injury to others. I'd be more inclined to say that it would have a pretty good chance at causing damage to property as well as possibly causing injury to bystanders and to a lesser extent, yourself

Nmag

Likes Dirt
Your friends who died will contribute to these kinds of stats:

http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/2006/pdf/rda_ss_2005.pdf

Pretty sad stuff, about 1500 road deaths a year.

One day when I was in 5th grade I got to school and was told that one of my two best friends has been hit by a car while riding his BMX home from school and that he died instantly. I thought the person who told me was BS'ing, but then various other people chimed in with the same story. They were apparently on a school bus and saw all the aftermath... he didn't come to school that day. We went to his funeral some days later.

He would be in the stats from the late 70's I guess.

After my friend was hit (after hesitating while following his older brother across a highway) his brother rode down to where their mum worked and he told her. Can you imagine that? It's terrible stuff. A mother being told that the youngest son has just died and she needs to come now to the scene.

We should be thankful to be breathing and riding. I still ride now with with other 'best friend' from then. No doubt that dude who died would be too, it he was around still.