UCI Mountain Bike World Championships 2013: Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Ha, that's a crack up. Sheesh I hit the floor when Sam hit the deck, he got all kinds of tangled and messed up in that stack. It looked like his knee may have taken a few for the team.

I wanted Minaar to win but was so hoping Mick could've done it for Australia. His face when Greg hit the line was pretty gut wrenching.
So what was the go with Atherton? Did he have any issues? Was he just slower? Did he crack the shits and just roll home? Seemed odd to see him not fighting so hard, especially with his form this year.
I think he knew he made some small blues to start with, so he gave up, i hate that, Hill gets my respect because even though he would have known he was not going to win it, he still went after it, gee on the other hand gave up, if i was his sponsor i would be wanting to know why i shouldnt pull the pin on him, most other people had a go, Minnaar really went after it, and got it, respect to him, Hill after he stacked could have just walked away, still got back on his bike and rode down, so did Smith, so did Hart, but Gee, what a wanker!

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
Agreed. If you bin your run at least you could put on a show like Stevie eg bar hump and suicide no hander, the mob wants entertainment.

rsquared

Likes Dirt
I think he knew he made some small blues to start with, so he gave up, i hate that, Hill gets my respect because even though he would have known he was not going to win it, he still went after it, gee on the other hand gave up, if i was his sponsor i would be wanting to know why i shouldnt pull the pin on him, most other people had a go, Minnaar really went after it, and got it, respect to him, Hill after he stacked could have just walked away, still got back on his bike and rode down, so did Smith, so did Hart, but Gee, what a wanker!
Did I miss something? Gee was 3rd at the first split, 7th at the second split and then 7th overall, just over 1 second off a podium. Not exactly giving up! If I was Gee and you were my sponsor, you would probably be a clown to work for and represent, so I'd probably make a phone call to one of the others on the long list of major companies wanting to sponsor me and ditch you! Just sayin!

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
I think he knew he made some small blues to start with, so he gave up, i hate that, Hill gets my respect because even though he would have known he was not going to win it, he still went after it, gee on the other hand gave up, if i was his sponsor i would be wanting to know why i shouldnt pull the pin on him,!
Its a tough call. With some big races left on the calendar why risk injury pushing your limits when You know you already blew your chance? Lets say he did give it all, stacked and broke his leg. As his sponsor I'd be asking what the hell he was thinking, he knew he didn't have a chance at a medal he should have played it safe...
Look at Van Der Ploeg, got caught up in some mess and dropped in the XC so pulled out of the race. Should he of still went for it? Dunno but he did snatch Gold in the XCE the next day. Smart move I say

As for the DH, It not a track where the top riders can re gain a lot of time after a mistake. Stuffing up early in your run has to be a mind fuck. Sure Smith got back on and show boated his way down, but it took him a bit and for a while I thought he was just going to trow the bike and walk off. Gee would have been set on winning. His last 8 months or more would have been focused on this 1 run. To know you have muffed up enough to put you out of the medal hunt at the very top of the run where you expect to be fast would be devastating

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Or potentially he was giving it his all and it just wasn't his day? He's been on such good form all season so not surprising he has an off day cause it's hard to hold it that high of a level all year long.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
What actually happened to gee? I watched his run and didn't notice a particular mistake. He looked fast and smooth. The fact that we just watched Minnaar systematically dismember the course would've made anyone else look lack lustre...

Gee only just missed the podium against a damn strong top 3.

BM, I think your comments are quite harsh.

On another note, how frighteningly fast did Mick explode into the table top section! I felt sick/scared watching that!!

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Wtf mate. Gee finished his run.... Well.

Smith gave up completely, why are you not ragging on him?

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Or potentially he was giving it his all and it just wasn't his day? He's been on such good form all season so not surprising he has an off day cause it's hard to hold it that high of a level all year long.
Certain ally didn't look like the balls out pedal like nuts run we know gee is capable of. I don't think he would be 8seconds of first if he gave it everything even if it wasn't his day

macguffin

Likes Dirt
Great racing. Sams' crash was nasty to watch. I find myself watching ABC 24 at the airport. Lets see... Australia gets 1 silver & 2 bronze medals at a World Championship and the ABC reports about rowing! Ahhhh don't get me started.

rsquared

Likes Dirt
I don't think he would be 8seconds of first if he gave it everything even if it wasn't his day
Either do I, but since he was only 4.3seconds (on such a high speed track, that could be as easy as losing traction slightly and not keeping your momentum through one corner) off first and 1 second off a podium. I reckon maybe there were just 6 other super fit guys that put together a better run on the day.... crazy idea I know!

Yippee_Ki_YayMF

Likes Dirt
Sounds like someone who crossed to Specialized this year. Pretty sure he ended his last few races with Trek with average results, then carried that form into this year.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Might be harsh, but it looked like he didnt give it all, even Warner thought so, i suppose you have a point craig, injuries etc, his run just seemed to fall very flat, unusual thats all, considering the value that everybody places on the rainbow jersey, for me, if i was throwing big money at sponsoring him, i probably wouldnt be very happy?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I just read that Gee Atherton has had a stomach virus in the days leading up to and during the world champs and has been zapping his energy. I know one thing is for sure: If I had the green apple splatters then I would not be too interested in bombing down a course at full tilt and primed for a spew. That my good friends, would suck.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
I just read that Gee Atherton has had a stomach virus in the days leading up to and during the world champs and has been zapping his energy. I know one thing is for sure: If I had the green apple splatters then I would not be too interested in bombing down a course at full tilt and primed for a spew. That my good friends, would suck.
Did i also hear that he had 2 bad stacks in practice?..if thats the case and sickness was involved i take back what i said??

cruxpitch

Likes Dirt
Hill Crash

Any footage? seems like a nuts crash from reading. Man that dude is a machine. DH Terminator. The only thing that can kill Sam Hill, IS Sam Hill.

Viva Le Hill

Rich

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
Any footage? seems like a nuts crash from reading. Man that dude is a machine. DH Terminator. The only thing that can kill Sam Hill, IS Sam Hill.

Viva Le Hill

Rich
[video=youtube;TA9dBEs57iw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA9dBEs57iw[/video]

Sams full run with crash at 1:25. Very nasty and could have been a lot worse.