Uni life thread

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm predicting a touch of moustache twirling and a lot of fiddling with my turtleneck sweater and I'm also going to have to invest in some extra thick square frame glasses.
If the moustache is being twirled ironically, then i think you might be talking about architects...
Can you get tweed turtlenecks? :rolleyes:

Arete

Likes Dirt
Another group report problem. My partner for a lab report has plagiarised most of his section of the report. I plan on rewording (it's only a few sentences) his part, but the thing I'm worried about is he has copied screenshots and placed them in the report. It's too late to redo the simulation and get new pictures, but this is the sort of thing that is very easily checked I would imagine (can't reword pictures lol).

I don't want to dob him in, he is a friend (sort of) and I don't want to deal with the hassle but then again I don't want to deal with this if we get caught. What do? Confront him and say if we get caught I'm fessing up? Sigh I won't be doing anything with him in the future.
Get him to change it or failing that, hit the course co-ordinator up with you concern. If you know it's plagiarised, so will whoever marks it will. If I got an email simply stating "my group member plagiarised the crap out of this assignment and won't change it, which I am uncomfortable with". I'd be able to do something. Once the assignment's in and being marked, if it's serious enough you all get hauled in for a talking to, it's a bastard to try and mark the damn thing and it probably will hurt your results even if you get away with not copping some of the blame...

on a lighter note, this will take some of the workload off this semester: http://www.concurringopinions.com/archives/2006/12/a_guide_to_grad.html

;)

Likes Dirt
He's agreed to redo the simulation this morning before the submission time, here's hoping he actually does it. I know in the future I will not be going anywhere near this guy now.
Thanks for the help!

clockworked

Like an orange
Study procrastination has brought me back to farkin for the first time in a long while.
I've gone back for more punishment as well! Its fun, but its killed my spare time.
If anyone wants to talk pharmacy or dentistry let me know. I realise these probably aren't at the top of most people's lists, but if you're considering doing med/dent at USYD i'm happy to chat about it

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lecturer: "I toyed with the idea of having you design a 16th order Chebychev filter in the final, But then I realised I'd have to mark it".
I'm fairly sure everyone in the room sighed with relief..

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Got any idea what you would like to do at an advertising agency? I've got two weeks to go of my Bachelor of Communications: Advertising and Marketing plus an internship (if anyone will accept me)...

It seems that half of my peers are losers with no ambition and no idea, 49% of the rest want to work in account management at agencies which seems to me like quite an easy job to get into...often doesn't even require a degree and you work pretty hard kissing ass all day for quite ordinary pay. I think there is a very high turnover in that field and when I look at job sites there is always heaps going.

The other 1% is me and another guy who want to work in the creative department and it seems the only way to go about that is through Award School which I plan to do, seems like a clever initiative by the industry (they don't trust the uni degree, and put you through a more relevant sorting process).

And all the other agency jobs are a mystery to me, there are a lot of planners and strategy people, but no idea how they get in...I've only seen jobs going for very experienced planners, same goes with traffic people, finance people, general office people...and then you have all the design people and artists who find their way in, hopefully the internship gives me a better insight. :mmph:
Personally, I'm part of the 1% like you- creative design/strategy/idea creation would be awesome, plus I could wear heaps trendy stuff to work.

I also have no idea how to get into this at all, like you said, there's no graduate programs for this sort of thing, might have to be onto further study. Failing that, working within media like tv or film would also be tops- but then again, it's another hard field to crack :(

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lecturer: "I toyed with the idea of having you design a 16th order Chebychev filter in the final, But then I realised I'd have to mark it".
I'm fairly sure everyone in the room sighed with relief..
Good old Pafnuty.
That would be quite rude. If he was to do such a thing, would you have to reach exactly that, or able to come up with something similar with the same desired outcome?
...I'm thinking digital equivalents, but still. I'm sure you all would have shit bricks if that came up.

'Ross

Eats Squid
Personally, I'm part of the 1% like you- creative design/strategy/idea creation would be awesome, plus I could wear heaps trendy stuff to work.

I also have no idea how to get into this at all, like you said, there's no graduate programs for this sort of thing, might have to be onto further study. Failing that, working within media like tv or film would also be tops- but then again, it's another hard field to crack :(

Heard about this? http://www.awardschool.com.au/index.php?p=28 This is the one if you want to work in creative, something like 70% or more of those in creative field today have done it, and a lot of agencies won't even give you a chance if you haven't done it. It's basically a series of lectures and tutorials by people currently in the industry, and each week you have to make an ad (mock up) based on a different brief. Then everyone gets ranked based on how good their stuff is and you have a bit of a portfolio to show prospective employers. It does cost 2 grand and there is no guarentee you will get a job at all, but everyone I have talked to in the industry has said it is essential.

And one of my tutors who was an ex planner said most planners find their way into the agency one way or another in any job, and then there is courses you can take while working to become one. I think he was originally in marketing and got along really well with his agency so they told him to come over to the darkside and become a planner.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Heard about this? http://www.awardschool.com.au/index.php?p=28 This is the one if you want to work in creative, something like 70% or more of those in creative field today have done it, and a lot of agencies won't even give you a chance if you haven't done it. It's basically a series of lectures and tutorials by people currently in the industry, and each week you have to make an ad (mock up) based on a different brief. Then everyone gets ranked based on how good their stuff is and you have a bit of a portfolio to show prospective employers. It does cost 2 grand and there is no guarentee you will get a job at all, but everyone I have talked to in the industry has said it is essential.

And one of my tutors who was an ex planner said most planners find their way into the agency one way or another in any job, and then there is courses you can take while working to become one. I think he was originally in marketing and got along really well with his agency so they told him to come over to the darkside and become a planner.
2 Grand is nothing for something like that! Thanks so much, I'll definitely be applying- it's the perfect thing I was looking for next year! What state you looking to do it in?

'Ross

Eats Squid
^^^Melb. The entrance form should come out in January and has a series of tasks and questions, you have about a month to complete it and the top 100 in each state get in. I know from past students that to get in you have to answer the questions with pictures...not with text. And I think the actual school part starts in April.

If I don't get in you will probably see me at the local Centrelink trying to scalp my uni degree:pirate:

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Reinforced Concrete Design and Structural Design down...

Only Catchment Hydrology and Soil Mechanics to go!!!

Matt H

Eats Squid
So fellow UQ students... looks like fresh are up to the same old dodgy shit as always. F*cking young liberals really are the worst kind of people.

Laurence McLean

Hi everybody,

So as you all know, election period is coming up, and I was going to be running as Vice President Gender and Sexuality, as pre-selected by the Queer Collective, for the Pulse ticket. Pulse pre-selects candidates from the Queer, Womens and Environment Collectives because they believe in autonomy of positions. I feel it's very important to fill everybody in on the events of the last week and a half to bring everybody up to speed on what's happening.

On Friday the 10th of August, UQ Union held a council meeting and approved changes to the regulations pertaining to elections for the union. One of the councillors (Flynn Rush) who won under Pulse last year wasn't able to get a copy of the new regulations to be voted on, and wasn't given the appropriate notice as required in the UQ Union constitution. These regulations were approved, with an "urgency" motion to ignore the requirement of councillors needing notice.

On Monday the 13th of August, the election was called sometime between 11:00AM and 2:30PM, and nominations opened at the same time, which was different to previous years where an election had to be called at least five days before nomations were allowed to open. This took a week away from any other group's ability to prepare for elections. We were also unable to get a copy of the new regulations from the Returning Officer (who has to declare the elections) who told us (I was personally present at the time) at around 2:40PM on Monday that she didn't have a copy yet.

We got a copy of the new regulations from the Returning Officer on Tuesday the 14th of August to learn what had changed. Some new positions were created, rules regarding timing of elections and requiring extra people to "second" a nomination are what we noticed on Tuesday. Under the old rules, from the calling of an election we had four weeks until voting started. Under the new regulations, we only had two weeks, so this takes away many groups' time making it harder for anybody except the incumbents to take part in the elections.

On Wednesday the 15th of August, we found a new change to the regulations which we hadn't noticed the day before. Under the old rules, for a group to use a name that had been used in the last few years, signatures of at least ten candidates of people on the ticket from the previous year was required. Under the new rules, this was taken out and a form (called Schedule Eighteen) is required to "protect" a name from being used. This form can be submitted *before* elections are even called.

On Friday morning, my nomination for Pulse Gender and Sexuality Vice President as pre-selected by the Queer Collective went in. Our campaign manager was contacted by the Returning Officer on Friday night, telling us that we couldn't run under the name Pulse because it had already been registered.

Unless we come up with a new name by Midday Monday (tomorrow), we will all be running as independants, not as the group Pulse which we were going to be running as. Under the regulations, only electoral tickets and not independants appear on voting forms unless people specifically ask for a below the line form which is where Independants will appear.

It's important that students know what's going on with their student union. And it's pretty clear that the incumbents don't want anybody else running except themselves, using tactics such as taking our name away from us. So yea. That's what's happening this year with elections.
And inb4 someone says "who cares about student politics". I'm paying $200 a semester in union fees to these clowns, so yes I care.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Strange the young liberals are involved in the student union at all.

It was always professional left wing loafers at UOW.

But then again I ignored both groups in favour of VSU.

udi

swiss cheese
You probably also pay stamp duty when you buy a new or used car - sometimes in life it's just easier to pay what you have to and move on.

UQ is full of these walking wankfests - I'm not saying it's everyone, but there's plenty to go around.
My advice would be to minimise involvement, get your degree, and get out. That's what I did.

scuba05

Likes Dirt
Could be worse.
You could have an ice rink out the front of your uni at the moment, probably being funded (somehow) through my fees.

Yep, they made an ice rink out the front of UTS building 1.
I don't even want to know how much power that thing is taking off the grid, as its running 24/7.

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Student politics... State politics... Federal politics... All the same - just a bunch of empty promises.

I only vote to get that $5 voucher to spend at the Lolly shop.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Student politics... State politics... Federal politics... All the same - just a bunch of empty promises.

I only vote to get that $5 voucher to spend at the Lolly shop.
You get a voucher to vote? AND they've made it easier to pick which party... sounds like a win win to me

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You get a voucher to vote? AND they've made it easier to pick which party... sounds like a win win to me
Past two years they have - didn't go in today. Haven't had a bag of milk chews and sherbies in a while. :high5:

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And inb4 someone says "who cares about student politics". I'm paying $200 a semester in union fees to these clowns, so yes I care.
But, why? Is it really likely that your student life will change because of some plonker with a title?

Matt H

Eats Squid
But, why? Is it really likely that your student life will change because of some plonker with a title?
Misappropriating student funds for campaigning use like they did a few weeks back... instead of putting that money into things like clubs and societies, etc.