Uni life thread

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2 exams tomorrow, group preso's on Thursday and Friday then I will have completed my degree. No sleep tonight, I feel.
Top effort mate! Good luck for the last few hurdles.

What is your little bit of paper going to say? I have a Bachelor of...?

What are the thoughts of you all when it comes to a lecturer making us take the lectures? He has said two lectures for the whole year and has had one assignment to mark; so his workload is unbelievebly low. He gets paid to teach us and we are paying to be taught yet we are the ones doing all the work. I'd rather him just give us the topics at the start and be like "Make sure you know all of that for the exam." And its further infuriating when he has the cheek to yell at us when we get something wrong or leave something out or when we need cue cards to read off. I'm sorry, I'm not the one with a phd on the topic! That and he will correct us on our pronunciation of impossimbly hard to announce words and when we have errors in the way we talk. Hypocrite. Every second word that comes out of his mouth is either "um" or "ah."

Farking Douchebag

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Bachelor of Communication and Media studies, majors in Advertising+Marketing and Screen Studies. Hopefully it will be enough to get a job in advertising or media fields :)

J

JaRedy

Had a big speech to do yesterday, there is 3 of us in the group. The speeh was at 10am and on momday night we were still writing our sections and hadnt even seen eachothers work. Met up at 9 yesterday morning with an hour to somehow compile a speech and poweepoint with what we had. Hoped we could somehow fluke a pass.

We did the speech and it went ok, the changing of slides was rough though because we had to do little gestures each time it had to be changed, as we wrote our own slides too.
We ended up almost going over time and i didnt even read our conclusion, and just left it at our project recommendations before we went over... Nobody seemed to notice though.

When the lecturer/tutor was handing back the CRA at the end he comes to us and says "nice job boys, you have done the best so far". We were like huh! He explained what we covered was the right content and we did it well, he listed off what we did and it was definitley us he was talking about. So we got a 7, did the best out of everyone, and even beat those cocky mature age students (old enough to be my dad). Best feeling ever! Most epic fluke ive ever had.

He even said specifically that our powerpoint was flowy and seamless, I thought it was crap? Not going to complain though...

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a big speech to do yesterday, there is 3 of us in the group. The speeh was at 10am and on momday night we were still writing our sections and hadnt even seen eachothers work. Met up at 9 yesterday morning with an hour to somehow compile a speech and poweepoint with what we had. Hoped we could somehow fluke a pass.

We did the speech and it went ok, the changing of slides was rough though because we had to do little gestures each time it had to be changed, as we wrote our own slides too.
We ended up almost going over time and i didnt even read our conclusion, and just left it at our project recommendations before we went over... Nobody seemed to notice though.

When the lecturer/tutor was handing back the CRA at the end he comes to us and says "nice job boys, you have done the best so far". We were like huh! He explained what we covered was the right content and we did it well, he listed off what we did and it was definitley us he was talking about. So we got a 7, did the best out of everyone, and even beat those cocky mature age students (old enough to be my dad). Best feeling ever! Most epic fluke ive ever had.

He even said specifically that our powerpoint was flowy and seamless, I thought it was crap? Not going to complain though...
I thought you were in my group for a second. I did exactly the same. Except we got dogged by the aforementioned lecturer because we didn't talk in detail about apes when we were talking about the hominid family tree from the earliest common asncestor; which would have made total sense....

Well done though! Flukes like that are awesome.

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ole is a great maths lecturer!

Never, ever, under any circumstance be late to his classes though :p

Found this... [video=youtube;Xab4vuw2SLI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Xab4vuw2SLI[/video]

Last edited:

'Ross

Eats Squid
Bachelor of Communication and Media studies, majors in Advertising+Marketing and Screen Studies. Hopefully it will be enough to get a job in advertising or media fields :)
Got any idea what you would like to do at an advertising agency? I've got two weeks to go of my Bachelor of Communications: Advertising and Marketing plus an internship (if anyone will accept me)...

It seems that half of my peers are losers with no ambition and no idea, 49% of the rest want to work in account management at agencies which seems to me like quite an easy job to get into...often doesn't even require a degree and you work pretty hard kissing ass all day for quite ordinary pay. I think there is a very high turnover in that field and when I look at job sites there is always heaps going.

The other 1% is me and another guy who want to work in the creative department and it seems the only way to go about that is through Award School which I plan to do, seems like a clever initiative by the industry (they don't trust the uni degree, and put you through a more relevant sorting process).

And all the other agency jobs are a mystery to me, there are a lot of planners and strategy people, but no idea how they get in...I've only seen jobs going for very experienced planners, same goes with traffic people, finance people, general office people...and then you have all the design people and artists who find their way in, hopefully the internship gives me a better insight. :mmph:

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Ok, I haven't read the whole thread but I'd like to add to it.

1. Always back up your work, having your final assignment (years of work) on one USB drive that goes faulty days before it's due is not IT's problem.
2. Run some form of Anti Virus on your computer.
3. Never think you'll get away with downloading heaps of Torrents. All internet traffic is monitored.

Lastly, good luck to everyone studying.:single_eye:

jhb

Likes Bikes
I can't believe this 'uni life' thread has so many references to uni work in it!!

Stop pretending you're in the library so much.

Uni life:

Surf/Ride
Surf/Ride
Surf/Ride
Work
Uni
Surf/Ride
Surf/Ride

for the record I'm part way through a masters in teaching, after completing a bachelor of enviro science

Likes Dirt
Another group report problem. My partner for a lab report has plagiarised most of his section of the report. I plan on rewording (it's only a few sentences) his part, but the thing I'm worried about is he has copied screenshots and placed them in the report. It's too late to redo the simulation and get new pictures, but this is the sort of thing that is very easily checked I would imagine (can't reword pictures lol).

I don't want to dob him in, he is a friend (sort of) and I don't want to deal with the hassle but then again I don't want to deal with this if we get caught. What do? Confront him and say if we get caught I'm fessing up? Sigh I won't be doing anything with him in the future.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
put the squeeze on him and tell him in no uncertain terms that he is letting the team down and that HE needs to sort it out. If he does nothing, talk to whoever is marking the assignment. nothing good can come from having a big red cross against your name for plagiarism, and it will be your problem if you get caught. I would never put a mate in that position.

'Ross

Eats Squid
Don't you just drink scotch, smoke cigarettes and flirt with secretaries all day?
Will soon find out, got accepted for internship today....I'm predicting a touch of moustache twirling and a lot of fiddling with my turtleneck sweater and I'm also going to have to invest in some extra thick square frame glasses.

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Another group report problem. My partner for a lab report has plagiarised most of his section of the report. I plan on rewording (it's only a few sentences) his part, but the thing I'm worried about is he has copied screenshots and placed them in the report. It's too late to redo the simulation and get new pictures, but this is the sort of thing that is very easily checked I would imagine (can't reword pictures lol).

I don't want to dob him in, he is a friend (sort of) and I don't want to deal with the hassle but then again I don't want to deal with this if we get caught. What do? Confront him and say if we get caught I'm fessing up? Sigh I won't be doing anything with him in the future.
If you get caught, you all go down... Depending on the faculty also, you can fail certain subjects outright like that and face disciplinary action. I've only run into this problem twice in my 6 years at uni. Once in first year, and once last year. Both times, i pretty much just tell the person to jam it. Ask them to re-assess why they are at uni in the first place. I'm not wasting thousands of dollars of my money for some other chachee who's too lazy to do proper work to stuff it for everyone else.

(pet hate is people who don't pull their weight in groups if you didn't pick up on it)

I lost a week out of a major design assignment once to similar antics. Was not happy, as it downed my grades for another subject i was supposed to be studying for... as opposed to fixing other peoples "oversights"/blatant laziness.

On another note, 12.47, pile of empty tea cups, coffee mugs and coke bottles is growing.
I swear this computer seat is stuck in the shape of my ass from sitting here for the last week or so smashing out what i hope to be my last assignment ever! (for now) YEEOOWWWW.
Go QUT haha.