Uni life thread

Arete

Likes Dirt
I did my BSc(biology) at Mq, my first MSc(conservation biology) at Victoria in Wellington NZ, my second MSc(molecular biology) back at Mq and my PhD(evolutionary biology) at Adelaide. Currently working at University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.

University would be great if there were no students.... :p

I'm first year at UB studying Geology. It's quite far from what I had planned but when I got the offer I thought why not? Turns out it's been one of the best decisions I've ever made. From what I can tell, the hipster rate at my campus is pretty low. There is just a load of nerds rocking the jeaners.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You went to Victoria Arete? Nice! How'd you find it?

I'm currently at Otago U in Dunedin, absolutely love it. Regarding hipsters, we're actually the polar opposite. The normal attire for 50% of students day in, day out, is ugg boots, trackies and a Kathmandu puffer jacket. This increases over winter.

We also like parties, and we burn couches.

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hahahah ryda funny you mention that about the engineering dress code. I love walking from the great court towards the hawken building and surrounding area and noticing the gradual shift from cuffed jeans and trendy hair cuts, to dweeby and awkward looking engineering students. :p
Don't worry, I wear 'normal' clothes to uni.

MasterOfReality

After forever
I loved my postgrad days. I started a PhD in late 2003, went back to work in 2007 and finally submitted it in 2009.

When I was doing postgrad, I was on a $18k pa stipend, had an apartment on Cliff Road in Wollongong, did a spot of consulting work whenever I felt like it and hardly went to uni. Just worked from home.

The 3 years flew by.

Rider_of_Fast

Likes Bikes
Im studying master of physio studies and am loving it.

Pros:
- Interesting content, that is if you're into anatomy/physiology/biomechanics sorta stuff
- Hands on learning and very interactive
- Working with cadavers (as well as live ppl too)
- Teaching staff are very professional (in comparison to Griffith)
- Making new friends (esp from different countries; even the hipsters - but I give them shit for it)
- The campus here at st lucia (esp now that its week 5 and onwards; loving the attrition rate :)

Cons:
- 3 hours return commute daily :S (15 hr/wk - sucks when you think of it that way) AND especially when you don't get a seat on the Bombay Express at 5pm back to the gc.
- Difficulty finding a cubicle to study in, esp after lunch time classes.
- Weekday mtb/road riding is some where in the nil - none range. Weekend hammer sessions it is.
- The microwave queue at 12pm near the food court, I have amended my lunch routine to an earlier and much quieter 11am.
- Can't work, so very poor at the moment.

The pros far out weight the cons for me!! Speaking of which, I gotta get to class.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
- The campus here at st lucia (esp now that its week 5 and onwards; loving the attrition rate :)
Like the typical UQ Arts student hipster that I am, it's week 6 and I still haven't been to class. Fuck. One of my subjects has 20% tutorial participation too. Woops.

avanti04

Likes Dirt
I'm at SCU studying forest science and management in my 2nd/3rd year it's pretty cruisey course at the moment and the lecturers are pretty good. Shame about all the hippies that live in Lismore and surrounding areas as studying forestry definitely makes you a massive target for every wanna be greenie in town haha.

Last edited:

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I'm first year studying Anthropology at Macquarie Uni. Initially I went to CSU straight out of high school and got a Bachelor of Business (Accounting & Economics) while working part time at a big-four accounting firm. After 3 years I hated it, so I left work, finished the degree full time and decided I needed to do something else otherwise I would end up behind a desk, pushing paper and bound by the constructs of western life. I have always had an interest in how other people live and understanding them and why they do what they do, so I chose Anthropology.

I'm living on campus, but not involved in all the partying and drinking. Pretty well over all of that after my first degree. So my circle of friends is limited by my decision, but it means I hang out with people who are interesting to talk to and who like to go and do things other than hit the pubs and clubs.

I'm enjoying Sydney and having Lane Cove National Park close by.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm first year studying Anthropology at Macquarie Uni. Initially I went to CSU straight out of high school and got a Bachelor of Business (Accounting & Economics) while working part time at a big-four accounting firm. After 3 years I hated it, so I left work, finished the degree full time and decided I needed to do something else otherwise I would end up behind a desk, pushing paper and bound by the constructs of western life. I have always had an interest in how other people live and understanding them and why they do what they do, so I chose Anthropology.

I'm living on campus, but not involved in all the partying and drinking. Pretty well over all of that after my first degree. So my circle of friends is limited by my decision, but it means I hang out with people who are interesting to talk to and who like to go and do things other than hit the pubs and clubs.

I'm enjoying Sydney and having Lane Cove National Park close by.
How are you liking anthropology so far? I'm thinking of studying it in the future. The anthropology subject I'm doing at the moment basically covers everything I'm interested in.

I'm studying urban planning at JCU (Townsville). There's only about 3 hipsters in my faculty and I'd say the dominant clothing is fisherman pants, dreads and tie dyed shirts (environmental science). I love uni life and I've already got a job relating to my degree.

downhillar

Likes Dirt
The dress code for engineers in general is polo, jeans and joggers.
hahaha, 4th year civ eng at UTS, same dress code applies here too!

uni is such a strange place to me, well the engineering faculty anyway.
i usually have no trouble making friends, i'm heaps social, but it took me about 2 years to make any real friends that i actually didn't hate talking to at uni.
i feel like a lot of people take uni way to seriously. i mean by all means study hard and do your best, but for gods sake don't forget to mix in some social activities, enjoy the sun, smell some flowers etc. i can't help but feel some people are missing out on too much of their life due to uni...

anyway, like someone else said, learn how to work the system, get assignments of older guys etc, that's helped me so much over the years.

i like dirt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2nd year civil engg at UQ.

The dress code for engineers in general is polo, jeans and joggers.

I hate statistics.

I hate traffic flow theory gave us a spreadsheet of traffic counts for every 5 mins of a whole year. Having fun with that spreadsheet.

Oh and yeah I love jumping through the many hoops.
haha, this is the truth.

I'm in my 2nd year in civil at Griffith on the coast, its pretty intresting. But I struggle with the maths. Is there any shortcut to being good at it, or countless late nights of practise in the library?

Russian lecturer isn't much help, he just keeps cracking jokes about how you can't make any mistakes when working on a nuclear bomb..

Rider_of_Fast

Likes Bikes
just spent the last 3hrs drinking at the pub.
Such a hipster of a thing to do :p

...Griffith on the coast...
I spent far too much time at the uni bar drinking and playing pool comp when I finished my undergrad there a couple years back.

Good thing I did my undergrad in International Business, so gaining 6-7s wasn't as much of a ball breaker as it is in a science-based course (i.e. physio).

I remember for my undergrad, I had friends study pharm and biomed, and they'd always be studying soo hard and to achieve 5-6s... yeah well, now I know how that feels :S

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
How are you liking anthropology so far? I'm thinking of studying it in the future. The anthropology subject I'm doing at the moment basically covers everything I'm interested in.
Loving it so far mate! Due to having to do a couple of 'breadth' subjects, which I wanted to get finished straight away, I'm only doing 1 anthropology subject this semester called "Drugs Across Cultures." Very interesting subject looking at how and why various drugs are viewed differently across different cultures. The beauty of anthropology is its the study of humanity. So, if it interests you, you can study anything humans do.
Also, not sure about other places, but here, the anthropology faculty and staff seem really down to earth and genuinely interested in people and their experiences, which is refreshing.

If people interest you, I'd say go for it. You'll definitely be able to find a way to combine your knowledge and interest in urban planning with anthropology to work off each other.

i like dirt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Such a hipster of a thing to do :p

I spent far too much time at the uni bar drinking and playing pool comp when I finished my undergrad there a couple years back.

Good thing I did my undergrad in International Business, so gaining 6-7s wasn't as much of a ball breaker as it is in a science-based course (i.e. physio).

I remember for my undergrad, I had friends study pharm and biomed, and they'd always be studying soo hard and to achieve 5-6s... yeah well, now I know how that feels :S
Uni bar is deifnitely the place to be, cheap meals, cheap jugs of beer and pool. Can't beat it.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The subject I'm doing is similar to yours Elbo but also covers sex and human nature and ties everything back to evolution. I'd like to focus my study on these areas and their relation to evolution of culture, though, society, etc.. Thanks for sharing.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You've got till MIDNIGHT to enter for the uni textbook rebate comp if you havent already! And we find out winners at 6pm tomoro!

lucco

Likes Dirt
my uni life, short as it was, consisted mainly of watching a jewish friend eat bacon for breakfast after a big night and be consumed by guilt afterwards - until the next morning after. I can only assume everyone's is/was the same.
^ this is gold

I still don't understand why people spend so much energy whinging and moaning about what fucking fabric people cover themselves in! Unless someone is attempting to strangle me with their skinny leg jeans or assaulting me with their pointed leather shoes I couldn't give a stuff what style they dress in...

I did Architecture at RMIT straight after Year 12, mainly due to doing well in graphics and design tech. Although fairly quickly found it wasn't a career I'd pursue, and left just in time for the ski season :) Since then I've been doing a carpentry apprenticeship as I've always wanted to have the knowledge to be an owner builder/renovator.

I'm having my second crack at uni now and loving it. Thankfully made the right choice this time, B.A majoring in professional writing/journalism and probably some film and media subjects as quite possibly might head towards post grad studies in it. I've found being 21 I'm far more motivated to get the work done quickly, and have plenty of time for drinking and riding!

seventyseven

percent of Australians blame the bike for their cr
so i'm contemplating a move to griffith or bond (although bond = $) for postgrad. any farkers there give me a brief low-down on the place?