Uni life thread

NCR600

Likes Dirt
My uni life consisted of me turning up to pracs in my work khakis and big ole beard and everyone assuming I was some sort of janitor or fucking teacher of soldering in EE pracs.

Biggest waste of time ever, and the pricks whose soldering I did, and physics pracs I sorted never did help me with calculus.

Having a life at Uni= Mddle Class (or above) Parental Support.

Arete

Likes Dirt
HA HA
just spent the last 3hrs drinking at the pub.
best Thursday ever.

This is what Uni is about.
As soon as I hear something like this in a class, I know I'm weeks away from another stellar student/teacher interaction:

Example 1:
Student: "Excuse me, why did I fail the lab quiz?"
Me: "You only answered two out of ten questions."
Student: "But I only got one out of ten"
Me: "One of your two answers was incorrect."

Example 2:
1st year Ag Science student: "So do I have to come to these things (lab pracs)?"
Me: "No. In fact you're not allowed to come without shoes on."
Student: "Cool." *leaves*

Never saw him again.

Example 3:
Student: "So what should I write in my assignment to get a good mark? I want to get into a research program."
Me: "Well we gave you guys unworked datasets, so no one knows what the answers are. Just come up with a methodology using the techniques you learned in pracs over the semester and apply it. Coming up with the method is the most important bit of the assignment, the answers really don't matter."
Student: "So what's a good methodology? I need a good mark to get into a research program."
Me: "If I have to tell you how to do that there'll be no original work in your assignment and it won't be good. Just have a think about it."
Student *agitated, raised voice*: "I need you to tell me what I should write! It's important I get a good mark..."
Etc...

Later in the semester the student applied for an hons project in our department and sent me abusive emails when they missed out.

seventyseven

percent of Australians blame the bike for their cr
As soon as I hear something like this in a class, I know I'm weeks away from another stellar student/teacher interaction:

Example 1:
Student: "Excuse me, why did I fail the lab quiz?"
Me: "You only answered two out of ten questions."
Student: "But I only got one out of ten"
Me: "One of your two answers was incorrect."

Example 2:
1st year Ag Science student: "So do I have to come to these things (lab pracs)?"
Me: "No. In fact you're not allowed to come without shoes on."
Student: "Cool." *leaves*

Never saw him again.

Example 3:
Student: "So what should I write in my assignment to get a good mark? I want to get into a research program."
Me: "Well we gave you guys unworked datasets, so no one knows what the answers are. Just come up with a methodology using the techniques you learned in pracs over the semester and apply it. Coming up with the method is the most important bit of the assignment, the answers really don't matter."
Student: "So what's a good methodology? I need a good mark to get into a research program."
Me: "If I have to tell you how to do that there'll be no original work in your assignment and it won't be good. Just have a think about it."
Student *agitated, raised voice*: "I need you to tell me what I should write! It's important I get a good mark..."
Etc...

Later in the semester the student applied for an hons project in our department and sent me abusive emails when they missed out.
and you of course never did anything of the sort right :p

jokes aside people never cease to amaze me. i mean what must go through their heads?

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Graduated in 1999 Commerce (Accounting) and IT (MIS) double degree. I went the path of uni so I had time to surf. My first preference was vet science, however I spent too much time in the water during years 11 and 12 and didn't earn a place.

Upon graduating, I surveyed the job market and realised I could have a much better lifestyle working semi-skilled, so I took that road. In hindsight best decision I ever made.

Now completing Masters of OHSE via e-learning whilst working away making more money/enjoying the work/lifestyle mix than I could have ever envisioned if I had utilised my degree, unless I started my own business.

Plan to become a OHSE advisor in the next 4 years and then eventually a payroll consultant commuting overseas to offshore construction projects. Retire, travel some more and then pick up contract consulting work when we need some $.

I will be very very happy when girlfriend starts work again in 2012 after finishing a Mastersin Social Science. She is currently applying for a PhD scholarship and will hear the outcome soon, so she plans to work 3 days per week for a private agency and also work as a sessional tutor and write.

Over the past 10 years I have been afforded the awesome opportunity to avoid weekend crowds when doing most things and I think this is probably one of, if not, the biggest benefit of my career choice behind travelling to different places for work and constantly meeting different people with their different experiences and knowledge. I plan my time around avoiding the maddening 08:00 to 17:00 crowd and find it amusing/puzzeling to observe people who 'always have to be somewhere else'.

Last edited:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
holy crap there is alot of fashion hate at uni.............

Don't go to uni, but damn near every one of my mates that do whinges about "hipsters", and go out of there way to dress the least "indie" as possible.

Is clothing really that important in a school?

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
holy crap there is alot of fashion hate at uni.............

Don't go to uni, but damn near every one of my mates that do whinges about "hipsters", and go out of there way to dress the least "indie" as possible.

Is clothing really that important in a school?
Apparently hating on other peoples clothing choices is important. This phenomenon is nothing new, just another generation of young people debating the dress sense of their peers, giving them the in vogue generic label of 'hipster' when they are actually guilty of 'conforming' by trying 'not to conform' themselves.

Second hand clothes are cheap and the money goes to a charitable cause. Better things to spend money on than clothes from my point of view.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My uni life consisted of me turning up to pracs in my work khakis
I always turn up to uni in work gear. like hell i'm going to wear out my own clothes and shoes when i have some perfectly good (if a little bright!) gear someone else is paying for to wear out instead. plus there's no girls in engineering to impress anyway :rolleyes:

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just wanted to make a thread about uni life in general for people studying tertiary in 2011 and/or recent graduates.
I screwed around in school, I did all the interesting subjects with no regard for an OP. I Passed the hardest subjects inc. Physics easily but ended up with a shit OP whilst all my other friends did piss easy subjects and got away with better OP's. The system needs a rework IMO, If I chose subjects I could do in my sleep I would of got into uni very easily.

Anyway, I didn't get in so I decided to head to TAFE full-time to do an Adv. Dip. in Electro-technology, was pretty fun until I really couldn't live on no money, I quit half way and started a Full-time Job as an Electronics apprentice. Still the same stuff. Now I'm doing the Apprenticeship and studying the Adv. Diploma after hours. Should finish up both at the same time too, and once that happens I might just float around on decent money for awhile and then test the waters of upgrading to a bachelors degree....

Uni isn't the only way. If you take TAFE seriously you can get pretty far but only to a certain point. From there it's off to Uni or you better know the right people lol. My teachers use to teach Uni classes and they've worked on some pretty impressive gear, but they still generally teach you like a technician rather then a more theoretical based learning style that is Uni.

It's a pretty sweet life though, You jump in and work a 40hr week+Overtime in a job that you genuinely like waking upto and earn a decent wage whilst learning. Weekends are 50x better too, you really look forward to them a whole lot more!

Joy

Likes Dirt
I screwed around in school, I did all the interesting subjects with no regard for an OP. I Passed the hardest subjects inc. Physics easily but ended up with a shit OP whilst all my other friends did piss easy subjects and got away with better OP's. The system needs a rework IMO, If I chose subjects I could do in my sleep I would of got into uni very easily.
I didn't think that was how it worked :s I thought you did get rated higher by doing harder subjects? At least based on the standard of the students who usually do them. Maths B was worth more than Maths A etc. A VHA in Maths A didn't boost your OP as much as a HA in Maths B, from what I was told.

mtb1611

Seymour
Ah, vague recollections of uni....very vague. Being from Campbelltown, attending Sydney Uni was an exercise in bewilderment; if you lived west of Anzac Parade, you were a westie. "Campbelltown, that's near Blacktown isn't it?" In the same way that Tasmania's near Antarctica, yes. I recall a girl in my course successfully asked her parents to buy (not rent) her a terrace in Newtown "Because I simply couldn't catch public transport from St Ives every day, how horrid". Best part about uni (Sydney CAE to be precise) were the Thurs arvo SRC shindigs: free beer and sausage sizzle. Worst part of that? Turning up half-pissed to do the 5-9 shift at the cameras and jewellery department of K-Mart! Saw many free lunchtime gigs at the Manning Bar (Mudhoney being a notable one), I also fondly recall hours between lectures and tutes spent perusing the racks of the many now-defunct second-hand record shops that used to dot King Street (Newtown), as well as catching the bus to George St with a few mates every Tuesday to catch a movie (half price Tuesday with student ID was a corker).

Last edited:

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I didn't think that was how it worked :s I thought you did get rated higher by doing harder subjects? At least based on the standard of the students who usually do them. Maths B was worth more than Maths A etc. A VHA in Maths A didn't boost your OP as much as a HA in Maths B, from what I was told.
It's based on comparisons between students sort of. Subjects are weighted, but there's more importance on your comparison to the average then subject vs subject.

I did English, Maths B, Physics, Geography and IT, With B+ in Physics and C flat in English being my worst. OP 16.
Had alot of friends do Maths A, Woodwork, Pre-vo science, history and english with all C's that got 13's,
Others that did the same low subjects and got A's in a few headed out with 10-11's.

I must of screwed up that QCS test real bad!!

On a semi-unrelated topic, there thinking of bringing in basic English and Maths subjects into TAFE (and maybe uni?) because there are people passing high school that can't read/write properly or cant do simple maths. All it takes to pass high school is your birth date these days. Apprentice's rock up all the time that don't know how to use a hammer.

I recall a girl in my course successfully asked her parents to buy (not rent) her a terrace in Newtown "Because I simply couldn't catch public transport from St Ives every day, how horrid".
Awesome! lol.

seventyseven

Anyway, I didn't get in so I decided to head to TAFE full-time to do an Adv. Dip. in Electro-technology, was pretty fun until I really couldn't live on no money, I quit half way and started a Full-time Job as an Electronics apprentice. Still the same stuff. Now I'm doing the Apprenticeship and studying the Adv. Diploma after hours. Should finish up both at the same time too, and once that happens I might just float around on decent money for awhile and then test the waters of upgrading to a bachelors degree....

Uni isn't the only way. If you take TAFE seriously you can get pretty far but only to a certain point. From there it's off to Uni or you better know the right people lol. My teachers use to teach Uni classes and they've worked on some pretty impressive gear, but they still generally teach you like a technician rather then a more theoretical based learning style that is Uni.

It's a pretty sweet life though, You jump in and work a 40hr week+Overtime in a job that you genuinely like waking upto and earn a decent wage whilst learning. Weekends are 50x better too, you really look forward to them a whole lot more!
unfortunately someone who's book smart and has the paper to prove it but can't tie their own shoelaces will often win out over someone who has the experience, you're absolutely right.

classic example (and it seems to be girls that are the most common for this). chatting to a quite pretty but not all that... aware girl i know. was banging on about how she wants to do behavioral science and major in criminology as well as psych. upon making the observation that "you'd be mainly looking at public sector work then" she asked me "what's that".

this girl had a better entry score than i did.

Last edited:

mtb1611

Seymour
Let us not forget that academic and intellectual intelligences do not always equate to "common sense" intelligences. In fact, it is quite often that never the two shall meet. Unfortunately universities are stellar examples of this and they in turn are the machinery that perpetuate this very system. Oh the conundrum....

seventyseven

Reminds me of my ex
sounds like a catch that you'd never have to pay for anything with.

just about any amount of princess-like behavior is worth that. put up with it for a few years to finish uni (hell, move in with her) and then drop her like yesterdays garbage.

seventyseven

Let us not forget that academic and intellectual intelligences do not always equate to "common sense" intelligences. In fact, it is quite often that never the two shall meet. Unfortunately universities are stellar examples of this and they in turn are the machinery that perpetuate this very system. Oh the conundrum....
precisely my point. as if anyone with great marks (and let's be honest here, most of them out there seem to have their self esteem completely wrapped up in this & therefore their judgement of others is based solely upon it as well) is going to admit that someone that didn't get 100% on every last piece of assessment can do a job better than someone who can.

it is very satisfying to let said elitist wankers know when you got better marks than they did. particularly when you're a renowned slackass when it comes to study of shit you couldn't give a flying f**k about.

the rage is fantastic. for bonus points let them know that you believe the marks/the test to lack in validity beforehand. i have particularly good fun with the keynesian economists @ uni.

Last edited:

scuba05

Likes Dirt
Would be starting my 3rd year of elec engineering at UTS, but am on an internship at the moment (part of my degree, dip eng practise).
As many others have stated, engineering attire = what ever is clean. Usually for me some kind of shorts and a t-shirt. Had 1 lecturer a set of clothes for every day of the week (boardies and an old t-shirt), which he wore every day (ie every monday was 1 set, every fri was a dif set). Very engineering like.
Enjoying being away from uni for a bit, but the massive long commute is sucking major balls. 1hr40 on train. Good to finally make some decent money with what i have learnt already.
Also someone was saying something about programming? I did Embedded C, didnt do any assignments, so i walked into the final that was now worth 100% of my mark, and got a D. I had done fuck all programming (that which i had done was easy as all shit), and learnt most of it from a document a mate got from someone who had previously done the subject. So yes, there are ways to work the system.
Def many hipsters at uni. Having lectures int he design & architecture building is hilarious. Me and the other eng guys rocking up, and gettin strange looks from people who look like they take 4hrs+ to plan there 'outfit' in the morning. I just have a giggle to myself.....
Still another 3years to go for myself. I dont do a full load (3 subj usually) so i pass everything. Way too much work, and difficult work in elec eng to be doing 4 subjects and passing them. I dont mind extending my 5yrs to 6, and it will be cheaper as well.
As for a life outside uni. I dont understand how anyone could NOT have a life outside uni. Most people (looking at arts people here!) would struggle to have 10hrs of lec/tut a week, which leaves a metric shitload of time to go out and enjoy.