Up ya kilt............... It’s the TrailLander!

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Frame - Deviate Highlander 140 Large Ride Wrap matte wrap
Rear shock - Cane Creek DB IL
Front shock/fork - Cane Creek Helm Mk2 150
Handlebars - One Up 35mm rise
Stem - Unite Co Renegade 35mm
Headset - Wolftooth
Grips - Deity Supacrush
Saddle - BikeYoke Sagma
Seatpost - Yep Components Uptimiser 3.0
Front brake - Hayes Dominion A4
Rear brake - Hayes Dominion A4
Cranks - Unite Co
Chainguide - Not yet
Chain - SRAM GX 12spd
Pedals - HT M1
Rear derailleur - Shimano XT M8100
Rear shifter - Shimano XT M8100
Cassette - Garabruk 12spd XD
Front hub - Hope Pro 4
Rear hub - Hope Pro 4
Front rim - Spank Oozy 350
Rear rim - Spank Oozy 350
Spokes - Sapim something
Nipples - Brass
Tyres - Schwalbe Magic Mary front, Racing Ralph rear
Total weight - 15.2kg

First new bike in 10 years. Been wanting a new bike for many years but the stars had not aligned. Also cost of bikes I wanted were stretching it. Then @komdotkom appeared with his Bird Aether 9C. Perfect. I started collecting parts and when I was ready to buy the frame Bird advised no longer shipping to Aus. Back to the drawing board. Went through many brands but kept coming back to the Highlander. I reached out to the Highlanders owners here expecting a mighty yes as a trail bike, buy it, but got lots of mixed responses. A massive thanks to @ozzybmx for a test ride on his. Even though it was a tad small for me it felt amazing and the way it picked up speed was something else. A few emails with Deviate and was advised what they had in stock was it and no time frame for the next batch (website now says Jan 23). I actually ordered a black frame but did not have the funds ready and cancelled hoping it would be available in a few months time. It wasn't but blue was. Wasn't sure as had a couple orange bits to go on. Much ummming and decided to go ahead. I'm glad I did as I think it turned out well.

Took a couple months to build as issues with brake adaptors not being right, crankset off my old bike had too short a spindle so waiting for parts to arrive. Fitness is very average currently so first two rides adjusting to modern geo and big wheels was an odd feeling. Third ride and some more suspension and cockpit tweaks and it felt so much better. This thing is silent, no weird idler noises it just ticks along. Bummed it went over 15kg as was hoping to keep it under. Front brake line needs trimming but the rear was much faffing so have left for now. More tweaking and riding needed, happy so far!

A4EF183A-F0B2-496C-8812-1356B3FFF879.jpeg
582A329D-F250-42A4-9E68-9E8B67018895.jpeg

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Welcome to the Clan!

It definitely takes some fettling on the suspension but when you get it right it's beautiful.

And the Blue and Orange works very well indeed.
No bashguard?

shiny

Welcome to the Clan!

It definitely takes some fettling on the suspension but when you get it right it's beautiful.

And the Blue and Orange works very well indeed.
No bashguard?
Cheers and thanks for replying to my messages! :) No bashguard yet. @ozzybmx doesn’t run one and hasn’t had any issues but will see I go.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Nice one Shiny ! Looks awesome... in blue :cool:

15kg with a Racing Ralph on the back ?

shiny

Nice one Shiny ! Looks awesome... in blue :cool:

15kg with a Racing Ralph on the back ?
Yup with Ali Express scales and me holding it off the ground. Frame was chunky 3.3kg but was expecting that and a few other bits came in over weight so all adds up. Lightweight carbon wheelset would get it closer to 14.5 but will just ride it for now.:cool:

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
That’s a great build too. Lots of nice parts. How is the seat and the dropper?

I’m sort of in a similar boat in that I haven’t bought a new bike in 10 years but I’ve had a newer second hand bike that was modern geo and I loved it (Transition Sentinel). It was stolen and I’m in the process of finishing a build of a new replacement bike that will be revealed soon. Has some similarities to this ;)

Jpez

Down on the left!
Looks good!
15kg is pretty damn good. Im a touch over 17kg . But I’ve gone for more an enduro build than trail build and with coil both ends. XL frame and meaty rubber. I’d like to try a Highlander in lightweight guise.

shiny

That’s a great build too. Lots of nice parts. How is the seat and the dropper?

I’m sort of in a similar boat in that I haven’t bought a new bike in 10 years but I’ve had a newer second hand bike that was modern geo and I loved it (Transition Sentinel). It was stolen and I’m in the process of finishing a build of a new replacement bike that will be revealed soon. Has some similarities to this ;)
Actofive? Look forward to seeing what you have lined up. Could it be a Claymore? Hmm.

Saddle I have been on a for a while. Suits my butt well, very comfy. Dropper is sublime. Smooth and no play. You just have to ever so slightly tap the lever and it drops.

Last edited:

shiny

Headed out for a crack o dawn hoping to get a big loop in. Bottom bracket had other ideas. Going up the long fire road in Belair National Park and cranks ceased.

Some poking around and NDS cup had unscrewed and bound up against the preload collar. Screwed the cup back in by hand but the collar had shifted and the bolt head was right behind the crank arm and multi tool too bulky to get to it. Cranks had a heap of side to side movement. So turned around and headed for home.

Shame as bike was feeling great. Did some shock tweaking last night. Added a volume reducing spacer, which was a complete faff but seems to have helped with it going through the stroke too easily. Getting to a good spot with the suspension, bike descends and climbs so well. Keeps surprising me, especially on rocky climbs as the rear doesn’t get hung up and require a body weight shift just power up. Descending and the way it picks up speed is awesome. Clocked up just over 70km - 5 rides on it so lots more tweaking and adjusting to go but really starting to get to grips with it.

ozzybmx

Do you know that the BB shell comes out ? It's the centre 'pin' of the main linkage.
It has 2 flats at 180° and should stay there locked in when the DS bb cup is fitted, the NDS then tightens up on the collared side.

I tightened my BB too tight and moved the flats around 180°, then again. I have smoothed the edges off the flats and it doesn't really stay there anymore.

I have a vid for Deviate but it was my ham fisted fault so not expecting a hand out.

The issue I have now, as from 2 days ago, I got that new crank and it's a proprietary BSA30 cinch tool and I only have one. At least with Shimano I could put a bb tool on each side and stop it turning.

It's all good but don't go with mega ugga duggas or you will slips the flats.

shiny

Do you know that the BB shell comes out ? It's the centre 'pin' of the main linkage.
It has 2 flats at 180° and should stay there locked in when the DS bb cup is fitted, the NDS than tightens up on the collared side.

I tightened my BB too tight and moved the flats around 180°, then again. I have smoothed the edges off the flats and it doesn't really stay there anymore.

I have a vid for Deviate but it was my ham fisted fault so not expecting a hand out.

The issue I have now, as from 2 days ago, I got that new crank and it's a proprietary BSA30 cinch tool and I only have one. At least with Shimano I could put a bb tool on each side and stop it turning.

It's all good but don't go with mega ugga duggas or you will slips the flats.
Knew that but didn’t know you could turn it. I didn’t go crazy with ugga duggas. Freaking out now. Won’t get a chance to look at it until tomorrow. :oops:

ozzybmx

Knew that but didn’t know you could turn it. I didn’t go crazy with ugga duggas. Freaking out now. Won’t get a chance to look at it until tomorrow. :oops:
It will be fine, mines been around the frame at least twice. The issue is the actual carbon frame has the locating Alu insert that the BB tube locates in. Looks like I have just rounded flats on the tube but wouldn't surprise me if I've done some rounding to the fat frame shell too.

Will send Deviate this vid I took a couple of days ago and see what they say.

I'm a bit anal when tightening BBs, on the excessive side. So 100% my fault.