Advocacy Alert Update on [NSW] Blue Mountains Advocacy Efforts - Knapsack Reserve

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
BMORC have been working with Council and Council Staff with regards to the reestablishment of appropriate Downhill and XC facilities in the Lower Blue Mountains of NSW, specifically the Knapsack reserve @ Glenbrook.

Brief History
In approx Sep 2009, Councilor Luchetti commissioned an assessment of the Old Bathurst Road site, which had been an unapproved but long standing track (17 years young).

Through a series of events, local builders began advertising a second nearby track named "Candy Bar"or Nichols Pde.

Residents strongly opposed Nichols particularly given continued use of the track by riders following its closure. The strong resident backlash and weak rider participation in advocacy efforts lead to both track being closed and a long process of finding alternative locations commenced.

In direct response to these events BMORC was formed by a number of local riders, with reps working long and hard to convince Council of the merits of sustainable trail design, construction and volunteer labour maintaining legitimate tracks.

Where are we up to:
BMORC reps have been working on mapping, pin pointing areas that require track realignment and general redesign of both the XC "network" and DH tracks in the Knapsack Reserve. An Existing PoM was in place, which The WSMTB club provided significant input into. AS you can see this has been a real team effort and I thank all those that have given up their time to attend multiple site meetings and discussions to produce the material needed in our report.

BMORC have issued maps and an options/recommendation paper to BMCC Staff to be tabled as part of a Community Consultation process ... to which BMORC will require your assistance in supporting our efforts and or providing constructive feedback.

We will update this thread when the time comes to seek your support, so please subscribe to the thread and or register on BMORC should you wish to help us get legitimate trails in the Blue Mountains.

Thanks in advance and apologies for the novel.

Al

http://bmorc.com/node/16915

Last edited:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Community Consultation - Knapsack reserve draft MTB plan

From an email BMORC have just sent out calling for rider support to a Community consultation sessions organised by BMCC councillors.

All

As you may be aware BMORC and BMCC staff have issued a report with regards to both the XC and DH tracks as outlined in the Knapsack Plan of Management.

This was in line with recommendations made as part of the 29Jun10 meeting that a large number of you attended.

The report can be found via this link below
http://bmorc.com/node/16874

Council has taken steps to call a Community "workshop" to more broadly discuss the draft plan, as opposed to the usual written submissions process. To this end rider numbers are critical to the success of the proposals made to date.

"Council will present a draft track plan for mtb in Knapsack Reserve and provide an opportunity for discussion and feedback, prior to it being submitted to the Council for consideration. Intereseted individuals and stakeholder groups are welcome to attend. Further info Matthew Chambers 47805694

Date: Monday 18 Oct 2010
Time: 7.45pm
Venue: Blaxland Seniors & Community Centre- Sharon Burridge Hall 33 Hope St, Blaxland."

We understand that there is lots happening at present with the NPWS discussion paper, various workshops and numerous letter writing calls, however, for the Blue Mountains we are at a critical point in that the Knapsack reserve PoM is a definite compromise by riders, our preferred options are still Old Bathurst Road for a Downhill trail network. Without numbers we could again be defeated by a small number of residents from one street.

To this end, we ask that you please allocate the 18Oct2010 @ 7.45pm as a date and time to head to the mountains and attend this important meeting and finally and clearly demonstrate rider numbers that support legitimate and sustainable trail networks, regardless of discipline.

Please could you RSVP prior to the 18Oct2010 via email to:
MChambers@bmcc.nsw.gov.au and adavid@bmorc.com

I can not emphasis enough the importance of attending this meeting with overwhelming numbers to clearly demonstrate our support for mountain biking in the Blue Mountains.

Thanks for your time and apologies for the short notice.

With Thanks
Alan David
BMORC
Blue Mountains Off Road Cyclists
If you are able to attend BMORC would greatly appreciate your show of support.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
night before first end of year exams, probably not entirely up to me but will try to get out there
thats alright hazza ... school first.

If you are unable to attend I suggest you still rsvp to Michael Chambers with something similar to:

Apologies, I can not attend on the 18th due to [school exams] however I am a resident of XXXXX and support the BMORC recommendations provided in their report to BMCC staff as part of the assessment of Knapsack reserve MTB trails allocated in the Plan of Management for the reserve.
in your own words please.

not sure if that will do anything but worth a shot.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Update:

BMORC reps met with Matt Chambers ... (not Michael d'oh) today at Knapsack and he is of the impression that we should not attend the meeting in numbers.

Me being suspicious, given the pasting we got in March 2010 ... I would prefer numbers, even if we all just say,

"my name is [insert name] I support the MTB draft plan " in case NIMBY's attend and oppose stuff.

Given this ... I ask if you are local and available on the night, please take time to attend, however if you are an "out of towner" thanks for the PMs and offers to help us out ... very much appreciated, however, no need to travel all the way unless your curious

With thanks
Al

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Update:

BMORC reps met with Matt Chambers ... (not Michael d'oh) today at Knapsack and he is of the impression that we should not attend the meeting in numbers.

Me being suspicious, given the pasting we got in March 2010 ... I would prefer numbers, even if we all just say,

"my name is [insert name] I support the MTB draft plan " in case NIMBY's attend and oppose stuff.

Given this ... I ask if you are local and available on the night, please take time to attend, however if you are an "out of towner" thanks for the PMs and offers to help us out ... very much appreciated, however, no need to travel all the way unless your curious

With thanks
Al
No worries Al. Good luck.:)

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Firstly, thanks to those that took time to attend, and also for those that offered to come along, but saved it on my request until November.

About 30 people attended, with a few new faces, some WSMTB reps, a few residents, a couple of historical society reps, Howard McCallum (Green Councillor for the ward) and the usual BMORC old heads.

The Staff presentation was very professional and wide ranging briefly touching on current hot topics such as the NPWS Discussion paper, other trail developments such as Awaba and some others I wasn't aware off :eek:

Many questions were fired off from "pro" mtb attendees ... ranging from engagement of Penrith council, The long discussed Penrith to Lithgow cycling connection (which council are supportive off), next steps and requirements re (LEP and further environmental assessments).

The main "road block" or more appropriately "challenge" to the proposed alignment(s) (aside from Council approval of the proposal) was that the upcoming Environmental Assessment / Survey to be conducted will likely identify an increased area that the Turpentine Iron Bark Forest EEC covers in the reserve.

BMORC clarified that although this is significant, the PoM caters for MTB use (including 1 DH track) and any additional EEC identified would lead to a fine tuning of the proposal as opposed to any drastic revision or reclassification.

Resident input was limited to feedback from the Historical Society reps ... and in a nut shell, this was [paraphrasing] " ... provided we don't get run over by cyclists and you don't close our tracks to historical sites ... then we're happy".

It is important to note that BMORC have gone to great pains to ensure that where practical, tracks should remain shared use. (the PoM indicates that the DH track is to be Cycling only) however, we have recommended the XC loops and other access trails should be shared access (*), with associated visibility considerations etc. This is due to our belief that we should be inclusive and not exclusive in our advocacy approach.

Finally, attendees clarified that the knapsack trails (and riding on the eastern escarpment on BMCC LGA, in principal at least) is legal, noting that Nichols Pde and OBR remain sign posted as CLOSED and therefore are illegal trails.

Practically, there will not be a scheduled trail day until early 2011, however, there are some steps we could potentially undertake with staff consultations and approval (eg, marking out the current trails more in line with the proposed alignments).

Thanks again to BMORC members and see you all at the next BMCC meeting in November to encourage Councillors to support the BMORC and Staff proposals.

(*) there are also a number of walker only trails which we have conceded due to practical considerations (Steps and walker popularity).

dhr_matt

Likes Dirt
Great Stuff Al and BMORC! Sorry I can never attend I'm working out in Orange during the week days so its not possible.

Al, Is the DH trail going to be the actual trail there at the moment, or near that, or a bit of both?

Keep us posted!

Matt

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Matt
No problems mate.

BMORC tabled 2 DH proposals utilising the existing trail were possible with the view of IMBA sustainability guidelines and personal experience (Kingy is da man)...

A) use the top part of the existing DH (String Line) and just as it starts into the long straight section we turn it and add a big right and send it the other way better utilising the gradient and add almost double the length of the existing track.
- We then zig zag this down the gradient finishing at a strategic location (aka, more to come)
- we sacrificed steepness for length
B) we use more of the existing track, but add some turns and finish it slightly differently (ie, we try to use the gradient better.)

I'll try to add the maps

Big up to the BMORC old heads ... has been a real team effort with everybody involved having different skills and perspectives which all adds to the mix very well.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Show Up or Lose Knapsack

The council meeting to approve the BMORC and Staff reports re: Draft MTB plan for Knapsack reserve (for both an XC loop and 1 DH track). will be held on the 23 Nov 2010

Council Meetings are held from 7:30pm in the Council Chambers, 2 Civic Place, Katoomba.

BMORC are asking all residents in the Blue Mountains and surrounds to please attend the meeting so as to clearly demonstrate the level of "demand" for legitimate MTB trails in the Blue Mountains.

There have been lots of positives with Council, however, we expect a negative campaign similar to that held to close OBR as seen below.

The best way to combat this is to show numbers on the night, no email campaigns which just get ignored. We Turn Up in numbers or Lose Knapsack and set back legitimate Downhill riding in the blue mountains, and risk creating a precedence for small groups of residents to shut down random XC tracks with misinformation.

If you are intending to support BMORC please could you register on the BMORC calendar *) to highlight numbers as the site is regularly monitored by stakeholders
http://bmorc.com/node/17734

Resident Flyer that got Old Bathurst Road Closed
Nichols_001.jpg

More Info here.
http://bmorc.com/node/18000

*) note you need to be a BMORC or Nobmob or Global rider network member to register on the Calendar (Doesn't take long)

*edit: Please note Threads are regularly monitored by stakeholders, so please limit your banter ... start a new thread if needed or PM me.

Last edited:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
The scheduled meeting for BMCC held 02Nov10 lead to amendments to report requirements to be provided by Staff.

On discussion with Staff these amendments have lead to another extension being required and reports will now be tabled for the 16Dec10 BMCC meeting.

BMORC reps are now moving the calendar item to the 16Dec10 and ask members and supporters, where possible to book in the 16Dec10 to attend the BMCC meeting.

We understand that this may conflict with Christmas and Holiday plans so fully understand that Family will take priority and we will do our best to make proper representation where possible.

Regards
Alan

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Corrections

Update:

BMCC meeting is scheduled for the 14Dec2010

Council Meetings are held from 7:30pm in the Council Chambers, 2 Civic Place, Katoomba.

Apologies for my bumbling.

Its been a long slog to get to where we are, and numbers are needed. We ask if you are a resident of the various BMCC wards and have time to attend to please register on www.bmorc.com

and mark your availability to attend in the calendar item, by marking the star icon (just above "Who's In"
http://bmorc.com/node/18150

Out towners are welcome however, we understand its a long way to go

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Update:

After alot of consultants' hours and elapsed time ... the REF has been lodged and is going to Council tomorrow night Tuesday 19/7/11.

There was not alot of negatives in the report and seemingly has green lighted the proposed XC loop and DH track. Thus far the process although long, has followed what BMCC Staff had originally outlined, so as least we have that to be comfortable about.

next steps are for a public consultation meeting in August please check BMORC for exact date (TBC).

If you are a Blue Mountains Rider or want to be able to ride Legal DH trails in the Blue Mountains, please take time to regularly monitor the BMORC site and more importantly to come out to the public consultation meeting so that we can show numbers.

Thanks
Al

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Meeting went well with Kingy and myself speaking to council. In the vote councillors passed the recommendations unanimously.

So the next stage will be the community consultation meeting on the 7th of August at Knapsack Park itself and then the final council meeting on the 11th of October which will be the big vote and likely to be a little more complex. At the end of this timeframe we will know the final answer.

Personally I am feeling confident that this will go through.

For more updates on this issue visit bmorc.com