Very Confused!

Huck!

Likes Bikes
Ok, I'm confused, I've heard at alot of places that the Nationals Rd4 at thredbo is on the 17-18th December and also alot of places saying that its the 16-18? Am i just an idiot or does this seem strange to some people? It'd be great if someone could give me the lowdown on whats happening.

Rik

logged out
I'm only assuming here... but...
Look at the calender. 18th is a Sunday, race day. I'm guessing 16th and 17th are practise days, and would probably be paid for with your race entry. You can just practise on the Sunday, or you can practise on Saturday as well as Sunday. If you want your arms to fall off during your race run, of course you can practise on the Friday as well.
Someone else may set me straight, but that's what I'm gathering will be happening from past experience.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I for one arn't happy about the division of practice times. Im paying the same as what i did last year, but having my ride time essentially cut in half.

demo man

Used to be cool.
i do find it a little strange to split it up for every day of practice, sunday morning practice i can see the point behind it, but for the whole week?

atleast you can go and muck around/practice on the 4X track when you can't ride the DH track - you do get the same amunt of riding time just not on the same track...

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
Someone may be able to help me, I've read conflicting reports about what time Sport class practices.

Anyone able to shed some light on this? It will make a difference to my accomodation plans.

I don't quiet understand the logic in the split either. I thought the system of splitting sunday made sense, but not the days leading up to it. This is the reason I didn't make the trek to Tassie. Not enough riding for the outlay.

Demo Dave

Likes Dirt
Atleast you'll be able to get more practice runs in as there will be fewer people in the lift line and on the track.

sammydog

I don't ever recall ever having to que up at races like thredbo. If I have, the line up wan't long enough to worry about.

demo man

Used to be cool.
chairlift = basically no cues

i think the main reason behind it is safety, as all of the things that mtba do. i assume that there have been younger riders mowed down by older ones while they stand in the middle of the track right after a fast blind corner, which pisses both ridersoff. this will stop those sorts of incidents from heppening. i think, if you look at it the right way, that it could make practice more fun too, you just have to find those who are in your category (will not be hard) and do chain runs etc. - chain runs in an open practice session can piss off many of the slower riders, but in seperate prac times it won't be as bad...

i'm just trying to be optimistic here - i'm sure that you'll still have shitloads of fun and feel like you can't move after the weekend is over.

Shaun

Likes Dirt
i am also slightly confused. do we not have a choice of racing in the mtnx? the entry form seems to be for both. so what happens if i don't wanna race in mtnx, do i still have to pay full price and get ripped off by thredbo once again?

SKT

Likes Dirt
Another benefit is if you race Cat B then you can spend a few hours watching the Cat A guys, photoging & sussing lines and just getting primed for your upcoming practice session.

S.

ex offender
demo man said:
chairlift = basically no cues

i think the main reason behind it is safety, as all of the things that mtba do. i assume that there have been younger riders mowed down by older ones while they stand in the middle of the track right after a fast blind corner, which pisses both ridersoff. this will stop those sorts of incidents from heppening. i think, if you look at it the right way, that it could make practice more fun too, you just have to find those who are in your category (will not be hard) and do chain runs etc. - chain runs in an open practice session can piss off many of the slower riders, but in seperate prac times it won't be as bad...

i'm just trying to be optimistic here - i'm sure that you'll still have shitloads of fun and feel like you can't move after the weekend is over.
Thredbo is the track that needs it the least IMO. I've never ever seen any kind of holdup there in practice, visibility is generally excellent (as in you can see the track for quite a fair way ahead of where you are), and riders are spread out a long way because the track is so long. And (on the old track at least) there weren't any bits (such as the creek bridge at Buller in 04) where people were consistently crashing or jamming up. The way that the chairlift brings riders up at a constant rate rather than dumping them there in loads of 40 like shuttle buses also helps with this. This seems like a really backarseward way to do things. I could understand separated practice on the Sunday alone (and maaaaybe even the saturday so that people get practice time for the 4x), but the Thursday and Friday too?

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
Shaun said:
i am also slightly confused. do we not have a choice of racing in the mtnx? the entry form seems to be for both. so what happens if i don't wanna race in mtnx, do i still have to pay full price and get ripped off by thredbo once again?
MTNX is included in the cost of the DH entry. Thats s good idea, as i'm sure that we'll get a much bigger turnout in the MTNX than if you had to pay for both events.

demo man

Used to be cool.
yeah, i agree with S. there. Thredbo is one of those tracks that just works well for racing, even with the largest of turnouts.

although - on the bit about there being no where where people are constantly crashing - that may change with the 'snake pit' being added in to the track...that section is going to be a race-pupose built section, it should be very very hard, but it will definately be very, very, VERY bloody good, judging by who they have to help build it...

maybe they'll change their minds...

EDIT:
wOOt core!! check the fully sick post whore-nes! !!!@shiftone111!!
1000 posts! i feel proud.
keep your trap shut Rik.

powermutant

Likes Dirt
Is it to cut down on shuttle-vehicle queue times? Or to allow for an increase in punter numbers? I can't really see it being due to safety. The speed differential in Group B is almost as great as Group A and B combined. I've never seen any real rider conflicts during practice, even on vehicle shuttled, short courses. An average weekend at Thredbo has a far greater speed/experience differential than a national round.

I question whether the practice split entices the punter to attend:
- Will it cut down on riding time? The punter goes there to ride.
- Will it fully utilise lift capacity? Mornings (especially Sunday) and afternoons often have empty lift lines.
- No more trailing the wheel of the Elite guys or stopping at sections to watch. DH in oz is about participation. Elitism will see it go the way of xc.

8 hours pratice for Group B, Fri-Sun. 9.5 hours practice for Group A and a qualifying run. Goodbye vets, hello Elite.

How did the practice split go in Hobart?

Cheers,
Doug.

sammydog

I have to admit, the split has me questioning whether to just can it and go at a different time when I can ride all weekend. I know I will end up at the race, but there is a little voice telling to consider an alternate time.

Like has been said above, one thing great about riding with the other groups is being able to stop mid run and watch better riders lines and try to learn from them.

I have no interest in 4X and I really hope the split isn't just to entice people to race 4X. Surley there is better ways of doing that.

Sitting around for half a day isn't sounding great at the moment.

Maybe I'll just take the XC bike and just ride out to Cascade Hut in my time off (anyone wants to join me, let me know), but I would prefer to be practicing DH.