Vets DH team - "NTO" Victoria

primal108

Likes Bikes
alright lads, i'm interested in starting a team of vets (30+) that are interested in taking DH riding to the next level and compete in the victorian circuit like VHDS, King of Ballarat, and perhaps even national events as a team.

i think that there would be a large number of you out there that are keen to race and/or get out and ride/train together. it is my opinion that a group of guys (or girls for that matter) within a similar age group and capacity are more likely to enjoy, learn and develop among each other, rather than trying push themselves to the limits (and standards) of the elite mens group.

i'm 36 yrs old and i'm very competitive... in a healthy and constructive way... i like to push myself and and i get great satisfaction from measuring my progress and success against MYSELF and my past performances. i'm not driven to beat others in this sport at all, i like to use the comp circuit to set deadlines for myself and see where i'm at come that particular day. i believe that competition can provide so much more for us than podiums, medals and of course all the girls that come with winning the VDHS vets catergory. (well maybe not more than all the girls, but certainly short lived highs of 1st place).

and lets face it... DH riding is an expensive sport, so some level of deeper commitment to it certainly justifies the amount of coin we spend. what more perfect way to do that than join a team of like minded riders. i think that with the support of a like minded group, the enjoyment, progress and technical ability of the vet riders would improve.

this is all just a lofty idea at this stage but i really think it could go somewhere. i think it could see us increase the number of vet riders out there, socially and competitively. i have in mind to organise ride days, comp day support crews, maybe even training days where we ride with specific skills training in mind (as our number grows, so will the collective knowledge of many aspects of Dh riding, like off-camber cornering, jumps, drops, etc)

anyway... (somewhat inspired by the "OMFG" label of the other vets riding discussion) you'll notice that the title "NTO" appears in this title. Simply standing for the obvious... NEVER TOO OLD... perhaps if our team got off the ground and "up and riding" we could enter comps under this banner, with our own team jerseys etc.

so... what ya think? am i onto something? would anyone be interested or am i hopelessly clinging to an existence thats long behind me, and i'm just doing this as a mid-life crisis thing but i cant afford the flashy sports car so i chose DH riding...

would appreciate everyone thoughts :)

P.S - my vision of this DH vet riders group/team extends to social riders also. i would hope that it would grow into quite a large network of vet riders, where those interested in racing would be backed by a larger group of supporters (not financially, but emotionally and mentally) by having their group there to cheer and support them on race day... this is a great feeling for both racers and supporters.

notso

Likes Dirt
Sounds like a cracking idea.
I'm not quite there yet but will be eligible for vets next year.
Most of the guys I ride/train with are 30+ and would dig this for sure. The main reason they don't race is the perception that it's for the young kids and the culture that goes along with that.

primal108

Likes Bikes
ha ha, you hang on to those last remaining months of pre-30-something bro.. its all DOWNHILL after that (no pun intended)

yeah in regards to your post, i think that DH riding comes with a well established culture.. but i don't think that culture is beyond the vets. i kinda put DH riding in there with extreme sports and i think that attracts a certain kind of enthusiast, and you're quite right, suggesting that the majority of vets probably think that its all just for the youngsters... thats why i think a group like this can close the gap on that a bit. not just in racing but also within the social riding group. maybe not every vet out there is suddenly gonna start taking massive gaps etc just cos they have a group of dudes their own age saying "go for it son!" but i think developing smooth flow, a bit of drifting here and there, and some serious speed in the pedalling sections, will certainly inspire and consolidate the 30+ crew's ideas of DH in life's middle years.

i find myself thinking about surf culture in regards to this also. i'm not a surfer by any means and i'm not attracted to it either, but i have alot of respect for the culture in its purest form and i also have a great respect for the 30+ participants and competitors that make surfing an integral part of their lives.

furthermore, those 30+ guys that get out there in 30 foot plus surf, certainly put themselves on the line just as much as the DH rider does. you don't hear of big wave surfers over the age of 30 ever talking about themselves as vets or "over the hill" either. the reason i'm talking about surfing too is that it grew from a small sub culture that went on to take a firm hold in the world, in regards to fashion, culture and lifestyle etc. yet there are only a handful of guys/girls out there at that excell in the sport. however literally 1000's of people participate in the sport recreationally and socially everyday in every state worldwide...

DH probably wont ever get a big as surfing has, but the idea remains the same. people of all ages and backgrounds can yield so much enjoyment from this sport. it challenges us at every level, mentally, emotionally, and physically. and so it should! this is our life, good to the last drop, and since we aren't due at the retirement village just yet, why not get the marrow out of our lives a bit more til then. (inspiring words huh??) i'm starting to feel like anthony robbins or something. nah seriously though, DH is so satisfying for me and i'd like to share it more with other people who feel the same way i do.

:) :) :)

dunndog

Eats Squid
furthermore, those 30+ guys that get out there in 30 foot plus surf, certainly put themselves on the line just as much as the DH rider does.

:) :) :)
Next time you go over the falls on a 30+ footer, let me know how you go...Disregarding this quote as 'oh my god, that could only possibly be said by someone who has never surfed!!';) I too think you are onto something. I'll be 36 this year, and i must say when i'm riding with people closer to my age i tend to 'compete' a bit more, push it a bit more, which usually results in riding better. sometimes when i'm out with a younger crew I find myself holding back and falling back on the old 'leave it to the younger dudes to smash that, i'll ride around it' addage. definately onto something mate.
and who knows, one day it may become something iconic - shuttling in fleets of toyota camrys with bowling caps on the rear dash, having (preferably sexy) nurses sponge bath us in the tent on race day, team cardigans instead of jerseys, pants worn just below the nipple line, the list goes on.
But seriously this could work, and as you say socially it could be a blast with family days even to get all the little future of downhill grommets mingling together. I like it.

notso

Likes Dirt
Next time you go over the falls on a 30+ footer, let me know how you go...Disregarding this quote as 'oh my god, that could only possibly be said by someone who has never surfed!!';) I too think you are onto something. I'll be 36 this year, and i must say when i'm riding with people closer to my age i tend to 'compete' a bit more, push it a bit more, which usually results in riding better. sometimes when i'm out with a younger crew I find myself holding back and falling back on the old 'leave it to the younger dudes to smash that, i'll ride around it' addage. definately onto something mate.
and who knows, one day it may become something iconic - shuttling in fleets of toyota camrys with bowling caps on the rear dash, having (preferably sexy) nurses sponge bath us in the tent on race day, team cardigans instead of jerseys, pants worn just below the nipple line, the list goes on.
But seriously this could work, and as you say socially it could be a blast with family days even to get all the little future of downhill grommets mingling together. I like it.
Lol. Nice Jarrod. That's probably the funniest thing I've ever heard you say :)

Team Cardigans..... Awesome!!

primal108

Likes Bikes
NSW could very well have something like this... maybe those sincerely interested should get onto it and make it a state by state national thing. if you think that there would be an interest in you state, try to get the ball rolling too.

definitely can agree with dunndog on the whole feeling more inspired to push yourself against those of similar age, and i think that drive is there simply because it doesn't seem so far out of reach. (guess we humans are similar to the donkey and the carrot... dangle it too far away and we just wont strive for it, but put it just in front of our nose and we'll definitely attempt a wee nibble)

futhermore... i know in myself that when i've stalled on a particular part of a track, whether it be a drop, a gap, a big double or whatever. i've watched a couple of others take it, assessed the speed, line and landing, and almost always felt easier about giving it a go. where as if i hadn't seen it done, that hurdle was always harder to get over... so in saying this, and i relation to dunndogs post, if we have a crew of guys/girls together that are all of similar age, the achievements of one could quickly translate into the progress of the others based on the same idea.

also, the support of a crew, that is established on building everyones skills and enjoying that process, rather than competing against each other, is exactly the kind of environment that brings out the best in a rider, and therefore 9 times out of 10, will likely result in improvement for the whole. i think as the team grows into something, each rider will have many individually developed skills, and as the numbers increase, the knowledge brought to discussions held around a particular skill will be quite vast.

a team built up of like-minded enthusiastic members will most definitely consolidate there passion for bikes and riding.

i actually run a thai boxing gym/fight team in richmond... i'm saying this because the nature of thai boxing is in many ways similar to bike racing. (not just that you get really hurt if you f*ck it up ha ha) Thai boxing is a very individual sport. when you are in the ring, you are on your own, no one is in there doing any of the fighting for you. but back in the gym in training you greatly depend on your team to help improve your skills for that fight night. so in this way, the environment and the team you work with prior to each event, is where the skills, confidence, and support is cultivated. regardless of the fact that fighting is an individual sport, the team with which you surround yourself with is the most important factor of whether you will succeed in the ring. its all the preparation, the training, the discussions about technique, tactics & strategies, that later result in ones confidence and ability to perform when you are finally on your own in the race.

i know for a fact that the support of a team is imperitive to improvement in individual sports. no one gets better trying to go it alone. two heads are certainly better than one, and a whole heap of heads, has got to be better than two.

... i've just read back over what i've written, and although i don't want to delete any of it, i am starting to sound overly serious about all this, and i don't really want it to come across like that. i feel that what i'm saying may well scare off some of those who would be attracted to such a team, into thinking -: "oh those guys are a bit focused on the competitive racing scene, and i just want to have a nice ride..." on the contrary, i'd like to see the team grow into something where there is a serious side for racing, but also a social side for those who don't wish race at all. however i would like to also think that the team would exist because it members wished to get more from their riding than they could on their own. to be able to use the team as a means to improve their present ability and get more from their riding.

as you can see, i've been doing alot of thinking about this...

AshR

Likes Dirt
This sounds awesome, I'm from Northcote so not to far away.

Started Riding DH (well when I say start) I did a hire bike day at Buller in Jan 2010 and was hooked, so bought a bike and started racing in this season of the VicDHS in Vets.

I'd be up for joining the team, but only if we get a team cardigan together with NTO embroider on the breast pocket that we can wear over our shoulders and fold the arms over (yacht owner style)

dunndog

Eats Squid
I'd be up for joining the team, but only if we get a team cardigan together with NTO embroider on the breast pocket that we can wear over our shoulders and fold the arms over (yacht owner style)
I personally prefer the moth eaten, smoke stained 'you kids get offa ma prop'ty' style of cardigan, but each to their own..:)

primal108

Likes Bikes
ahhhh a vehicle.... if i didn't spend all my money on my bike, i might be able to own a vehicle... (he gazes loftily off into the distance)

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So we talking just the Vet age bracket..or truly NTO, including Masters?....
In any case, this would be a good thing to bring the older riders together, whom probably dont always have as much time just to get out on a weekend (cause the wives and girlfriends and kids keep you busy at home). Just the excuse you might need, "got to go train now love!".........

primal108

Likes Bikes
of course masters too, absolutely! grand masters too if we can find any and shake the dust off them... "Team NTO" would definitely be open to all riders/racers over 30.

we could even run introductory seminars for the late 29ers who would be coming of age soon, we could do all sorts of nasty initiation rituals on them before they are bestowed the grand cardigan

dirtpig

Likes Bikes
Sounds like a great idea, the only folks I have met since moving to MLB are XC types, and I have done most of my previous riding with a lot more of a shuttle up/ride down kinda perspective- runs, beer and hijincks.

I vote for Team Get Off My Lawn!

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can imagine a few of the old "Hash Hash Harriers" style initiations and fines being bestowed at the end of a riding session.......

primal108

Likes Bikes
The first event

hey guys

well i'm committed to getting this team off the ground, so i'm currently trying n to work out a ride day at iRide MTB park at Apollo Bay for the Labour Day Long weekend.

those dates are:- 12th & 13thmarch.

i've sent an email to the apollo bay crew, and i'm trying to get this locked in. so all of you guys that would like to join us on our first official ride day please express your interest so we can get this event organised.

Last edited:

dirtpig

Likes Bikes
BAH! I'll have to pass on the ride on that weekend- already have labour day w/end plans. But I'll be there for round two!

My vote for the second (or third or whatever) is Mt Beauty over Easter... Mainly cause I'm trying to convince a bunch of people to head up their anyway!!

primal108

Likes Bikes
Well looks like mike is keen to have us Vets on his tracks over the long weekend. Hopefully for both days (sat and sun). the sunday shuttles are already going ahead anyway and we are all welcome to join in on that but if there's enough interest we can get sat shuttles too.

Shuttles are $50 per head and run from 10am til 5pm.

we've got two booked in so far, but obviously we'd like to see more.

express your interest, or PM me to lock yourself in. we are definitely going to head down to apollo bay for labour day weekend, and would love to meet all you keen riders.

primal108

Likes Bikes
awesome! i was hoping you'd be coming.could use your expertise on the tracks seeing as you're a bit of a regular down there. it will be nice to have someone along with some knowledge of the runs