VIC VIC 3x3 Gazebo Series. Sat Dec 8th , Fri Feb 8th , Sat March 2nd

Knut

Troll hunter
No rain forecast for Saturday. You will need to bring your own water. Trails should be sweet.

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
on our site

Thanks guys. I wasn't there for round 1 last year, mainly just wanted to know if the whole course is within Kurrajong side. My brain needs special preparation if I have to deal with any Stockyards rocks (not to mention bike choice)!

Cheers,

Dean.
hey guys the map is up on our web site. It has been for a while. It pays to look. I felt pretty stupid when this was pointed out to me.

Also entry form etc.

http://www.gmbc.com.au/events/events.html

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
details from Tania

The 3x3 Gazebo series starts this Saturday – will you be there?
Saturday 8 December, 9am race start from the Kurrajong Picnic Ground. On the day entry only - Rego will open at 7.15am and close promptly at 8.15am.** DON'T be LATE!** You can speed up the rego process by downloading this form <http://www.gmbc.com.au/cms-assets/documents/87616-452729.gazebo-series-entry-form-rd1.pdf> , filling it in and sending it back to us so we can add you to the timing system (or fill it in and bring it along on the day – along with the cash!).
Categories: A, B, C and Women’s grade solo 3hr; Junior solo 1hr (12-14yrs); Junior solo 2hr (15-18yrs)* (Junior 2hr race will start at 9am and the 1hr race will start at 10am; rego will be open for 30mins before race start)

Single Event entry: $25 for GMBC seniors, $30 other MTBA seniors, $45 non-MTBA seniors (includes day permit). Juniors - $10 for MTBA members, $15 for non-MTBA members (includes day permit).
Or buy a Series entry! – 3 events for only $60 (GMBC), $75 (other MTBA), $25 (MTBA juniors).** Non-MTBA members can buy a series entry and 1yr MTBA membership for only $180.
NB: There will also be a Dirt Squirts event for the under 12’s at 1.45pm, Rego 1.00-1.30pm at the Kurrajong Picnic Ground. $5 MTBA member, $10 non-MTBA member (includes day permit).
See you there,
Tania

sossy

Saucier
To paraphrase the words of Macklemore and Ryan Lewis - 'that was f$cking awesome'

Thanks to all y'all who made the day what it was. Special thanks to the rest of the GMBC crew for all the hard work. The. Best. Committee. Ever.

See you all at round two on the 8th Feb for a twilight delight.

serowe

Likes Dirt
Images from today's first round of the 2012/13 GMBC Gazebo 3x3x3 Series are now available at http://www.mtb-images.com.au

Images are currently named and sorted by bike number (where visible). When results are available these will be changed to rider name for easier searching.

Go

Likes Dirt
Thanks to the GMBC for once again putting on a great event. Fast, hot and fun. Does anybody now how long the loop was?

Only gripe I have is that sandbagging seemed pretty rampant in B and specially C grades. It does not affect me directly as I am in A grade, however people on the lower grades deserve to race against other riders of similar ability. It is not the clubs fault at all. Riders should now what grade they should race in. I know someone has to win in each class and fair enough if it's you're first time and you are not sure of you're speed compared to others but C graders doing 8 laps? Give me a break. Hope they got little bags of sand at the presentation instead of a medal

Maybe I'm overreacting. What are people's thoughts?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Bloody hot, but great fun! :love: 15 degrees cooler & just a bit of rain to take the skateyness off the dirt & the Kurrajong course would be heroically fast! Can't wait for the Round 2 twilight race.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Thanks to the GMBC for once again putting on a great event. Fast, hot and fun. Does anybody now how long the loop was?

Only gripe I have is that sandbagging seemed pretty rampant in B and specially C grades. It does not affect me directly as I am in A grade, however people on the lower grades deserve to race against other riders of similar ability. It is not the clubs fault at all. Riders should now what grade they should race in. I know someone has to win in each class and fair enough if it's you're first time and you are not sure of you're speed compared to others but C graders doing 8 laps? Give me a break. Hope they got little bags of sand at the presentation instead of a medal

I agree with you on that one! Heck, going through the results I would have placed higher in A grade than I did in B! That actually means two things: a) some people have an inflated idea of their performance (I'm generally pretty much around the middle of the overall results, so that *should* be a pretty reasonable B grade benchmark), and b) some others understate themselves by a big margin. Good C Graders could resonably be expected to be fairly close to me on the overall sheets, not smoking me by a whole lap!

As for lap distance, according to my GPS it was about 9.3km.

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
hmmm

thanks for the kind words re teh event

re the sand bagging comments

Can we not have this discussion pls.

I used to worry about it but really the only way around it is to do what road cycling do and have a swipe card with your grade. otherwise there is No solution to it.

All the regular GMBC crew who race regularly in the club champs, No frills fridays etc are in the correct grades but the event is a fun Club level race open to everyone who wants to turn up and have fun. At checkin we ask people what grade they want to race in . Most people choose the correct grade, the Only rule is " No shaved legs in C grade"

People enjoyed themselves, there were some great rides on a super hot day ,lets leave it at that.

varge

Squid

You aren't overreacting.

Three grades and the C grade podium finishes near the top 20% of the field. That is sandbagging in the extreme. They shouldn't even be finishing in the top half of the field.

Great way to discourage genuine C grade riders from completing, or continue to compete if they feel like their efforts can't be rewarded with a little extra work.

Big thanks to GMBC and volunteers. Really enjoyed the day, despite the tough conditions. Very well run, relaxed and friendly atmosphere, both around the race centre and out on the track.

Re. grading issues - it doesn't really bother me either way. Good luck to 'em if they knowingly enter a grade below which they know they should in the hope of getting a podium - well done C grade champion, when you and your mates all know that you're actually a totally competitive B grade level rider - enjoy the fact that you're a fit and experienced rider who managed to beat a heap of new-comers to the sport! (I should add that I've got no idea who won C grade yesterday and whether they should have been in that category or not, just my general thoughts on folks that do enter below their level).

Having said all that, I was surprised to see that my 14th position in B grade would have given me exactly the same placing in A grade!? So maybe that means I should have entered A...? I've got no idea, but the way the grades were originally described to me (before entering Gazebo Rnd 3 of last year's series), there's no way I would consider myself an A grade rider.

Being an older rider (46) I'd actually prefer age based categories - there's no grey areas re. what category you should be in, and you get to see how you're travelling with similar aged riders! Make sense to me, but I'm sure GMBC have their reason for A, B, C type categories, and while they're putting on great events like yesterday, there'll be no complaints from me!

Thanks again, not sure about the twilight round (don't have lights at present), but hopefully see you all again for round 3!

serowe

Likes Dirt
Thanks again, not sure about the twilight round (don't have lights at present), but hopefully see you all again for round 3!
Have a look at the images from last years Twilight Round - if the weather is as good this year as last, there were some spectacular vantage points during the race - well worth going along even if you don't race (and I'm sure someone would be able to help you with lights just so you can experience it - including the mossies errrrr scrub that last bit :) )

akashra

Eats Squid
When you have 180 entrants, age-based categories makes more sense.

Self-seeded grading works well for small fields, but the larger your sample set, the more outliers there will be. And by 'outliers', I mean 'cheats'.

Knut

Troll hunter
It sounds like it was a great event. Don't worry about sandbagging. Just go in A grade. If you come last, you still beat all of the B and C graders. It's impossible to manage those who aren't accurate in self seeding. So what, you had fun. That's all that really matters to those who count.

Nice work GMBC. Again.

Last edited: