Video makers 'post here'

fattyandthepiemakers

I ride an STP

st4ccer

Likes Bikes
Hey all, Ive bought myself quite a decent sony hard drive camera and have started filming not too long ago. I currently use Sony Vegas as my editing software, but for the outcome when im suppose to render the movie together i sit there bewildered at all the selections. Could someone please explain just the more important/better of the compression types or whatever to save as :confused: Mpeg2 gives me sweet quality but too big file to upload onto the net and avi gives me an even bigger file. What would be good to go with for say a good quality video but smallest possible file size to enable others to download off the net without wasting too much download space. Also is Mpeg2 the only/best quality file type to save onto dvd?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.:)

projectsplat

The film guy

projectsplat

The film guy
heyy, sorry :( the camera i use at the moment is a pentax optio 555 its a couple of years old. the pics are great but the videos are...umm, not great. i looked at the jvc everio hard disk cameras, a family member (who is a cameraman for channel nine) told me they were crap tho ugh. any opinions?
thanks
the reasons that your pictures are not great is because whilst your camera takes still images of a 3-5MP, when it shoots video, it shoots at a much lower resolution. i am suspecting that the format it shoots is something along the lines of 320x240 at around 15 frames per second. when you compare this to standard definition video which is 720x576 @ 25fps, you can see there is a big jump in quality. quick tip. don't use a stills camera to shoot video.

the hard drive cameras at the moment are still a bit out there. I am currently shooting with a Panasonic P2 camera which shoots to drive, but it is a lot of work to manage the process. You are better off picking up a cheap DV camera which will sort you out for the next few years until you can afford something better.

So is a fireport like a USB to connect it to the computer?
FireWire is a standard developed to work with DV cameras. The good thing about firewire is that all the hard work has been done. It has been around for a bit over 10 years, so every edit system supports it, and all operating systems support it. if you have a PC you might need to buy a firewire card for your machine. if you are on a Mac, the firewire card comes standard.

for more info on FireWire:
http://developer.apple.com/hardwaredrivers/firewire/index.html

i have a dillemma.
i have a panasonic gs-180, the image quality should be really good. but when i capture video onto my computer (through vegas) it always turns out dull is there something i have to change on the camera settings or is it the computer itself? what can i do to fix it? cause im out of ideas
check the settings that you are using for editing. the kind of quality drop you are talking about often occurs when there is a mismatch of settings. if you are using a camera bought in australia and capturing via firewire, your settings will need to be something along the lines of :
Codec : DV
Frame Size : 720x576
Frames per Second : 25
Audio : Stereo, 16 bit, 48khz

you also need to make sure that your capture settings match your edit settings. otherwise, your editing application will be trying to convert the footage on the fly to a different format, and will make it look like crap in the process.

if you could post a pic or sample of how it is going bad, that might give me a bit more of a clue as to what is going wrong. also, screen shots of your settings (capture and editing settings) will also help me figure it out.

OK, I've been looking at the ADVCs. Both ADVC110 and ADVC55 (http://www.canopus.com/products/ADVC110/index.php, http://www.canopus.com/products/ADVC55/index.php). The 110 is priced at $530 while the 55 is $200 cheaper. What I want to know is is paying that extra $200 really worth it? What great advantage does 110 have over 55. Will I need any of those extra bells and whistles in the future as my film making skills grow? These items seem perfect.
Big difference between the two units is that ADVC 55 has analogue inputs only (converts analogue video to firewire), and the ADVC 110 has inputs and outputs (goes both ways). Most people these days would only require the ADVC55. My reasoning? We need to look at the workflow. Shoot - use the ADVC55 to get the footage into the computer and edit it. Once edited, most people these days will :
- compress it to a quicktime or similar (and probably put it on youtube)
- burn it to a DVD

the only reasons to buy the ADVC110 is if you :
a) want to play your edited piece back out to VHS or your camera
b) you want to be able to view your stuff on a telly while you are editing

The second option there is pretty cool if you are starting to get serious about your work, but most people will just need to get the footage in.

Hey all, Ive bought myself quite a decent sony hard drive camera and have started filming not too long ago. I currently use Sony Vegas as my editing software, but for the outcome when im suppose to render the movie together i sit there bewildered at all the selections. Could someone please explain just the more important/better of the compression types or whatever to save as :confused: Mpeg2 gives me sweet quality but too big file to upload onto the net and avi gives me an even bigger file. What would be good to go with for say a good quality video but smallest possible file size to enable others to download off the net without wasting too much download space. Also is Mpeg2 the only/best quality file type to save onto dvd?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.:)
ok, so what you are talking about here is compression. compression is what we use to take our edited video (which is huge) and compress it so that it is small enough to get where it needs to go.

MPEG 2 as you have correctly figured out is the compression standard for DVD. most edit systems will have presets there, so i wont go into too much detail unless needed..

for sending video to the web, my recommendation would be QuickTime. You can download QuickTime player from the Apple website (both mac & pc) and it will work with your editing application and give you a few more export options.

Now rather than re-typing this all out, I do remember that i tapped this all out for a video project that Johnny was working on.

I now have a quicktime copy of my new teaser on my PC (windows XP, not patched or updated for obvious reasons) which is like 190meg big. I would like to compress this to a managable (sp) size whilst retaining as much screen size and frame rate as possible (quite probably an oxymoronic ambition, I know.....).

Which prog should I use to accomplish this?

Whoever can help me with this gets to download my movie for free! :)
Hi Johnny,

Is it currently in 4:3 or widescreen?

I have listed details for both. The first set are for native size - ie - no size drop, but you may experience a significant drop in quality - always a trade off. I have listed a second set of details that are a slightly smaller screen size (still pretty big), but are going to look a lot clearer.

Details for 4:3 using Quicktime
Video -
Codec : H264
Frame Rate : Current
Keyframes : Every 25
Data Rate : Restrict to 1200Kb/s
Encoding : Best Quality (Multi-pass)
Size : 720x576
Audio -
Format : AAC
Channels : Stereo (LR)
Rate : 32Khz
AAC Encoder Settings - Target bit rate 96kbps

For 16:9
Video -
Size : 1024x576
Audio -

These are the smaller screen size options

Details for 4:3 using Quicktime
Video -
Size : 512x384
Audio -

For 16:9
Video -
Size : 512x288
Audio -

Hope that this helps.

Cheers

Al
Alright, well - I hope that sorts people out. Any other questions, chuck em over this way. Have a good one.

Cheers

Al

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
I came across an interesting article from Apple that I thought I might share; they did a profile on the making of Collective/Roam in April 06:

projectsplat

The film guy
anyone know a program that will batch convert the mod files used in JVC harddrive cameras to mpeg?

As for software I like Sony vegus but have also use premiere and ulead.

Ulead DVD studio was probably t he simplest but Premiere and Vegus have a lot more features and control
Ahh, I'm having the same problems with my camera. One simple way to convert the .MOD files to .MPG is simply change the extension to .MPG. Sounds stupidly simple but it works, pain in the ass if you want to edit a lot of videos. Ohh, and I do believe certain programs such as Video Studio 9 converts them, I am yet to try but found out here...

http://www.moviecodec.com/topics/9735p1.html
Hey Cat,

I did a quick hunt and found this thread on another forum.

I don't have access to the right kit to test their suggestions, but it sounds like they are on the right track.

http://www.moviecodec.com/topics/9735p1.html

Cheers

Al
Shit. I guess I should have read before I posted. Oh well...

Last edited:

STRETCH JP

Likes Dirt
I came across an interesting article from Apple that I thought I might share; they did a profile on the making of Collective/Roam in April 06:

Whats with that, didnt know thay were into mountainbikes:rolleyes:
Its good the big name companys like apple are seeing the potential in mountainbiking for advetrising and such. Good stuff!

Mattty

Squid
im not sure of this has already been posted
but can anyone tell me of any good video editing programs
and maybe some prices
cheers

fatass

Banned
Hey, You all seem to know your stuff about videography and editing and the like, I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction, maybe a few different models to look at at the nearest video/photo shop. I have a budget of $700 to around $850, maybe more if it's something very special. I'm looking to do mountain bike films in a while so I would like something with high enough resolution to put on your average family size TV. Other features I would like are a fairly fast turn on time (Missing a rider at a race is damn annoying) and a highish zoom, I would prefer something on the bulky side as it's more stable. I'm not too fussed about other features though the more the better. If you guys could point a few models out that would be awesome.

projectsplat

The film guy
definately the GS300. great camera. very cheap at JB Hi Fi or on eBay. almost bought one myself last night, but decided to hold back and throw a bit more money at something a bit more speccy.

movie makers

hey guys, wat is a good movie maker that i can download, that doesn't stuff up like windows maker movie every 5 mins, i kind of dont wanna spend any money, haha, so lik a good site or progam would b nice 2 no about, thanks mate

crozzo

Likes Dirt
advise

hey guys i am no movie maker, but i wanna start. i was just woundering if anyone could tell me what kind of camera is good and cheap for a begainer and aslo whats a good editing program. at the moment i have been using my digital camera and the quality is quite poor and windows movie maker is a complete piece of shit i download abode premirier and thats so hard to use so any advise would be great thax guys:D

matty_101

Likes Dirt
hey guys, wat is a good movie maker that i can download, that doesn't stuff up like windows maker movie every 5 mins, i kind of dont wanna spend any money, haha, so lik a good site or progam would b nice 2 no about, thanks mate
If i was you i'd be more worried about downloading an english translating program because what you just wrote is pure shit

projectsplat

The film guy
If i was you i'd be more worried about downloading an english translating program because what you just wrote is pure shit
harsh but fair. harsh but fair.

hey guys i am no movie maker, but i wanna start. i was just woundering if anyone could tell me what kind of camera is good and cheap for a begainer and aslo whats a good editing program. at the moment i have been using my digital camera and the quality is quite poor and windows movie maker is a complete piece of shit i download abode premirier and thats so hard to use so any advise would be great thax guys:D
on the pc you could check out AVID Free.
http://www.avid.com/products/freedv/index.asp

it's not much, but it is free, and it will give you good quality.

Aaron547

Likes Dirt
Ok guys I have some questions...

At the moment im shooting with a Sony HDR-HC1E, I read something earlier about the HDV codec being crap? so do you recommend I film on HDV or DV for a bike movie that I intend to go on DVD.

Also, I notice ollys latest films like perspective 2 have had really nice crisp colours, I take it for the most part he has brang them out on his editing program, can anyone give me some tips on how to achieve this on Vegas?

Cheers guys, and thumbs up for making this thread, its bloody tops. ;)

oh yeah, no mean to be an ass but im filming tomorrow so id appreciate the first question answered tonight if anyone can. thanks.

demo man

Used to be cool.
Disclaimer: Do waht Alister says over what I say. He is the frigging prophet for this stuff.

HDV?

You're not going to get a difinitive answer that works in all situations.

For example, Clay Porter uses a Z1 and shoots everything in HDV. Wheres Black Pheonix shoot in DV on FX1s (which are very, very similar cameras). It has to do with what other footage you use, and your workflow.

*Check if you're camera has a down-converter built in (some of the Sony's do). If it does, shoot HD for now, and figure out how you want it when it comes time to edit, and then either downconvert or capture in HDV.*

If you have a computer and software that can handle HDV, and plan to shoot EVERYTHING in HDV, then you'll probably be fine with that. If you want to combine various formats then HDV is the only one I know of that causes problems.

Remember that in the end the whole thing will be in DV for the DVD anyway, so don't panik if you can't decide, just go for the less-risky DV.

RE: Ollys colours. Yeah, that over-saturated look he's using is done in post. If you're doing your thing for TV I would recommend against doing too much of that, as I'd say that those levels are way too bright for good TV veiwing (remember, everything looks different on a TV from a Computer monitor).

anyway - dinner time for me.

Last edited:

projectsplat

The film guy
Ok guys I have some questions...

At the moment im shooting with a Sony HDR-HC1E, I read something earlier about the HDV codec being crap? so do you recommend I film on HDV or DV for a bike movie that I intend to go on DVD.

Also, I notice ollys latest films like perspective 2 have had really nice crisp colours, I take it for the most part he has brang them out on his editing program, can anyone give me some tips on how to achieve this on Vegas?

Cheers guys, and thumbs up for making this thread, its bloody tops. ;)

oh yeah, no mean to be an ass but im filming tomorrow so id appreciate the first question answered tonight if anyone can. thanks.
the hdv codec has it's merits, but adds a lot of additional fucking about in post. in short, if you don't know what you are doing, stick to shooting in DV for the minute. things will get easier and better with HDV in the next year or so.

if you are delivering to DVD, i would recommend going for the DV option. that way there is no downconversion process, and you know exactly what you are getting straight up.

as for ollie's colours, he has done them using a colour correction filter. should be one available in vegas, but I am not sure.

as demo has said though, be wary of going too over the top with colour grading. ollie's colours are so hot they are bleeding off the screen. just look at the red shorts on the bloke in the first few minutes of the film. you can see the colour clipping and losing detail around the red in the shorts.

it's also worth noting that if a clip with those colours were submitted for tv, they would probably tell him to take it back and do it again.

if you are going to do colour grading, it is good to do it with software that has a waveform monitor / vector scope. that way you will know if you are pushing your colours into illegal levels.

Please note : this is not a slight against ollie. from what i have seen, the vid looks good, the colours just need to be toned down a bit. (i am on a shoot in japan at the moment, so have not had the time to watch it through)

you can have great colours that leap off the screen without pushing them so far that the video codec starts to bleed.

cheers,

al
- it's also dinner time here!

Aaron547

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys you've been a great help.

I have a feeling ill be visiting this thread alot in the next 3 weeks.......