virgin relaunch means you now get slugged with a bike

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
The baggage weight limits are (supposedly:rolleyes:) in place because it has to be handled by the baggage handlers on and off the plane. Passengers for the most part are able to walk themselves on and off no worries.
Max bag size is 32kg - no matter how much excess you pay (mandated oh&s thing) At 30kg they can refuse to take it depending on mysterious conditions that cannot be revealed to the traveling public!

Guess this is one good thing about traveling with a small child - they get an adult baggage allowance both for checked and carry on luggage. I think qantas has now moved to an 'as many bags as you like below the combined weight limit' system (or at least that was the way it worked a couple of weeks ago in domestic). Of course no checked bag can be more than 32kg and no carry on more than 7...

But of course you do get a laptop bag separate from your carry on luggage... Many ways to rort the system if you're creative :)

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
It's simple math really...

...that the flying machine needs more fuel to get off the ground than it does in the cruise, and the amount of mass onboard determines how much runway is needed to get away (hence more fuel if you're heavier and laden).

Your "tricks", be they long eye lashes or one foot holding up the end of your bag so as to lessen the apparent mass of your bag, only serve to jeopardise the aircraft, crew and fellow cattle onboard.

Don't be so tight and pay for what you take, then sit back and relax on the flight, knowing that you are responsible for doing the right thing. As you head back to earth in a fireball, because the cattle around you lied about their bag weights and the aircraft is out of control, you'll know that you weren't part of the problem.

Everyone loves a told-you-so!

And most of the time, you get exactly what you pay for when it comes to budget airlines, so read the fine print and change to QANTAS.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
I think qantas has now moved to an 'as many bags as you like below the combined weight limit' system (or at least that was the way it worked a couple of weeks ago in domestic). Of course no checked bag can be more than 32kg and no carry on more than 7...
Specifically for Qantas..... http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/checked-baggage/global/en

For tickets issued:
Before 1 December 2010 for travel any time, or from 1 December for travel before 1 June 2011
Allowance
Economy 23kg (50lb)
Business 30kg (66lb)
Qantas Club members, Silver and Gold Frequent Flyers 33kg (72lb) Economy
40kg (88lb) Business
Platinum Frequent Flyers 38kg (83lb) Economy
45kg (99lb) Business

For tickets issued:
From 1 December 2010 for travel from 1 June 2011
Allowance
Economy 1 piece (maximum 23kg)
Business 1 piece (maximum 32kg)
Qantas Club members 1 piece (maximum 32kg) regardless of travel class
Silver and Gold Frequent Flyers 1 piece (maximum 32kg) Economy
2 pieces (maximum 32kg each) Business
Platinum Frequent Flyers 2 pieces (maximum 32kg each) regardless of travel class

Total dimensions of each piece must not exceed 140cm (54in). Dimensions for checked baggage are calculated by adding together the width, height and depth of the piece of baggage.

Note: No single item of checked baggage may exceed 32kg (70lb).

Last edited:

martinpb

Likes Dirt
no arguements from me, athough I am sure there would be some civil rights hippies up in arms :)
The 6' 2" former plasterers will be up in arms too. But they aren't going to hold a protest march about it, they'll just tear the arms off some 17 year old shmuck, stick them in the waste disposal and then ask the check-in girl if they can have some extra weight allowance :)

As for the comment about over loading the plane - i have heard of this happening on a flight from LHR. So many of the passengers had over packed their checked and carry one luggage by so much, the plane would have been close too or over its max TO weight if everythiing had been allowed on board (e.g. 32kg checked bag, a 20kg carry on and a 7kg "personal item"). The airline brought all the checked baggage to the waiting lounge and had all of it and the carry on re-weighed - if your total was above the max per passenger limit then you had to arrange to leave stuff at the left luggage...

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
As for the comment about over loading the plane - i have heard of this happening on a flight from LHR.
While it comes across as an arbitrary figure for unknown reasons, there is relevance. I was in that field and nothing got the day off to a good start like seeing passengers straining with suitcases obviously oversize and over weight in the cabin. "But the shop said it is airline approved".

Unfortunately air travel is the preferred mode of travel of the moron too. Consider road/sea options if viable.

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
Singapore Airlines

Hi - does anyone have any intel on Sing Air? I cant find anything on their website about pre-paid excess or pre-paid bike etc.
It would be very helpful if anyone has a recent experience.

Thanks

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Unfortunately air travel is the preferred mode of travel of the moron too. Consider road/sea options if viable.
If I could take a sea voyage from Australia to Europe or Australia to NZ for a similar price to the airplane, I would. So much reading time!

- Joel

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
If I could take a sea voyage from Australia to Europe or Australia to NZ for a similar price to the airplane, I would. So much reading time!

- Joel
Have you _been_ on a cruise? We won one... I'd read the 5 books I bought by day 2... it was like being trapped inside the Rooty Hill RSL for 7 days :(

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Have you _been_ on a cruise? We won one... I'd read the 5 books I bought by day 2... it was like being trapped inside the Rooty Hill RSL for 7 days :(
Crack out the rollers?

"what is he doing?"
"he's powering the ship, madam"

- Joel

Since April 27.

Luckily I booked my fare to Tassie a few days before this so I get the 28kg allowance.
Actually it was even better than that. It was not a 28kg limit. Your bike box and whatever was in it counted as 5kgs of your luggage. So you could stick a lot of other stuff in the bike box as well as the bike and they just called it 5kg. I've used it regularly. I even bought two bikes (in two separate boxes) back from NZ once with no excess baggage costs.

^dave

Likes Bikes
Actually it was even better than that. It was not a 28kg limit. Your bike box and whatever was in it counted as 5kgs of your luggage. So you could stick a lot of other stuff in the bike box as well as the bike and they just called it 5kg. I've used it regularly. I even bought two bikes (in two separate boxes) back from NZ once with no excess baggage costs.
Yeah that's what I thought as well, but after sending an email to Virgin to clarify I got this explanation:

The baggage allowance for Guests travelling with sporting equipment such
as bicycles does depend on the date you made your booking, as our policy
has recently changed.

For any bookings made before the 27th of April 2011, you will be
eligible to check-in an extra 5kgs of baggage allowance free of charge.
This additional allowance is allocated above your purchased checked
baggage allowance for Blue Saver or GO! Fares or above the inclusive
checked baggage allowance for Velocity Gold and Silver Members or for
Guests travelling on Flexible, Corporate Plus or Premium Economy fares.

Excess baggage charges will apply once the full allowance, including the
additional 5kg allowance, has been exceeded. This is charged at $15.00
per kilo.

For example, if you have purchased a baggage allowance of 23kgs, and are
travelling with a bike, you will be eligible for a total checked baggage
allowance of 28kgs. If your bike weighs 10kgs, you will be able to take
additional checked baggage (such as a suitcase) weighing up to 18kgs.

For any bookings made after the 27 April 2011, Guests will not be
eligible to receive any extra allowance.

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
This used to be the case, they changed that policy last year (in May I think) to the extra 5kg on top of checked baggage allowance. Any change they bring is effect for ticket bookings rather than travel dates, so if you booked before the change you fly on old rules.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
United slugged us US$200 for our bikes ($200 for each bike, each way) on a trip to Canada last year.
Air Canada does something similar, but at least that's in addition to your normal luggage. IMHO, last time I researched flights to Canada/US, that was one of the better/cheaper options.

One of the italians flying out here for the 24hr worlds was slugged $1000EU for her bikes on air italia.

Cheers
Spoonie

LastMile

Likes Bikes
Air Canada does something similar
Air Canada were US$50 each way when we travelled last year.

Always pays to read the T&C of a ticket before purchasing. No point saving $$ on a ticket to get slugged with heaps of excess charges. That said, looks like our domestic options are now getting pretty slim.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
I'm actually amazed by the amount Jewing in this thread.
Whinging about $200 to take a bike that you paid upward of $4500 for? Just hire a bike at your destination if it bothers you that much.
Air travel is (unfortunately) much more accessible and affordable to the everyday schmuck. It's going to be great once they get rid of these sub $1000 flights to the US.

I'll tell you now that baggage crew don't take kindly to your bike box when you've crammed 32kg of your life into them. It doesn't matter how many 'fragile' or 'handle with care' stickers you put on that box. Loading oversize luggage into the cargo hold of an aircraft is a cunt of job and packing it to the brim does not do you any favours. They will leave it behind / in the rain if they have to.

If you've got 28kg of luggage I'd suggest packing 2 bags at 14kg.

The heavier they are, the harder they fall...

tcurr

Squid
Air Canada were US$50 each way when we travelled last year.

Always pays to read the T&C of a ticket before purchasing. No point saving $$ on a ticket to get slugged with heaps of excess charges. That said, looks like our domestic options are now getting pretty slim.
yeh on international flights it can make a vast difference - even British Airways vs Qantas - On non-US routes each way - BA have a flat rate of $40 for an extra 23kg bag, Qantas charge $175 for 5 extra kilos and a massive $875 for 25kg extra

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Couldn't have put it better myself. Hell we even print out the baggage policies when we check in just case the check in person doesn't know the rules.

Case in point - on our way back from the USA this year we had 7 bags to take from SFO-MEL. We checked the Qantas baggage allowance and found were were entitlted to 2 bags of up to 23kg each. As we have QC membership, it gave us an extra 1 x 23kg bag each, adding up to 6 free bags. Any bag on top of that was USD$150. Armed with this material we checked in and happily forked over the USD$150......I reckon for 7 bags, that's a bargain :)

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Charges Confirmed for QANTAS

OK - after some emails and phone calls to QANTAS, it got put to the practical test about 30 minutes ago when I checked in. So, for QANTAS Domestic - and lets just work on Economy Class tickets, OK:

. You get one 23 Kg bag with your ticket (32 Kg if a QANTAS Club member or Silver/Gold Frequent Flyer Silver). Platinum you get 2 bags up to 32Kg.

. You can pre-purchase up to two extra bags, nominal 23Kg each, for $20 per bag each way. A flight with intermediate stops still counts as one flight as long as you don't break your trip. So, Canberra-Brisbane-Townsville-Cairns is $20, not $60.

. If your pre-purchased bags are over 23Kg (up to the 32Kg limit), you get charged an additional $20 "heavy item handling fee" per heavy bag at the airport. But they told me this morning that they aren't charging that yet, and that it does not apply to QANTAS Club or Silver/Gold frequent flyers - who get their extra pre-purchased bags up to 32 Kg.

So - the outcome ... Worst Case - a bike box up to 32 Kg as pre-purchased excess baggage will cost you no more than $40 each way (and probably only $20, especially if its under 23 Kg) to get anywhere in Australia on QANTAS.

Specific info from the QANTAS website relating to this is:

. Pre-Purchased Excess Baggage

. Heavy Item Charges

Last edited:

scbullit

Likes Dirt
...that the flying machine needs more fuel to get off the ground than it does in the cruise, and the amount of mass onboard determines how much runway is needed to get away (hence more fuel if you're heavier and laden).

Your "tricks", be they long eye lashes or one foot holding up the end of your bag so as to lessen the apparent mass of your bag, only serve to jeopardise the aircraft, crew and fellow cattle onboard.

Don't be so tight and pay for what you take, then sit back and relax on the flight, knowing that you are responsible for doing the right thing. As you head back to earth in a fireball, because the cattle around you lied about their bag weights and the aircraft is out of control, you'll know that you weren't part of the problem.

Everyone loves a told-you-so!

And most of the time, you get exactly what you pay for when it comes to budget airlines, so read the fine print and change to QANTAS.
It's all good to pay for excess baggage, but I don't think it's very fair when I weigh 70kg and the fat ass next to me weighs 130kg and we have the same baggage allowance. I reckon everyone should have the same allowance INCLUDING the weight of the passenger, and then if you go over that, you pay...