Volunteers needed desperately for the Scott 24hr!

demo man

Used to be cool.
A serious lack of volunteers for the 2008 Scott Australian 24 Hour MTB Champs, on the weekend of October 11/12th, is causing concern amongst organisers.

Please CLICK HERE to read about how kick-arse being a volunteer at the Scott is - there are great prizes (like a 40" Samsung LCD TV) and you only need to volunteer for 3-4 hours if you want.

Vollies are needed on the Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday - so if you have any free time at all please VOLUNTEER.

Cheers.

demo man

Used to be cool.
Dear All

Currently we are facing a significant shortage of volunteers for the 2008 Scott Australian 24 Hour MTB Champs.

As this is the 10th Anniversary of the 24 Hour in Canberra we should be delivering an event that promotes fun and enjoyment for the riders, spectators AND volunteers. At this stage, with only around only 30 people having put their names forward (and only around 20 who are actually club members), it will be difficult to achieve.

In previous years it has taken up to 90 volunteers to successfully deliver this event. With CORC having a membership of 700 it would be great to see a few more people willing to donate 3-4 hours of their time in either assisting with crucial site set-up tasks on Thursday 9 October or Friday 10 October, pack-up on Sunday afternoon or Monday 13 October, or assisting with general site tasks, merchandise, registration and timing on the weekend of the race.

This 24 Hour Champs is the major fund raiser for the club. Funds are used to :
build trails;
undertake trail advocacy;
support the juniors program including the 'Switchback' youth at risk program;
provide subsidised racing;
purchase key equipment including down-hill timing equipment and downhill trailers;
and so much more
For every shift a volunteers works over the weekend (or before or after) they will go into the draw for a range of prizes including the major prize of a 40" Samsung Flat Screen LCD TV.
Volunteers who work a shift on a work day will have their name in twice for each shift they attend. The raffle will be drawn at the Volunteer BBQ which will be held the weekend after the race (to be confirmed).

We hope you will all consider volunteering a couple of hours of your time. Please go to the volunteer page on the website http://www.corc24hour.com.au/volunteers and register your support.

Thank you for being a part of CORC

Anthony Burton
CORC President

Maligno

Squid
I was curious about your cry for volunteers so I had a look at the number of entrants into last years Scott 24hr:

110 solo @ $180ea = $19,800
39 teams of 2 @ $295ea = $11,505
53 teams of 3 @ $390ea = $20,670
178 teams of 4 @ $480ea = $85,440
165 teams of 6 @ $650ea = $107,250
8 corporate teams of 10 @ $1000ea = $8,000

GRAND TOTAL = $252,665

Yes…. Two Hundred and Fifty Two THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!!!

And you can’t afford to pay marshals etcetera???

May I ask where all this money is going?

KWICKS

Likes Dirt
GRAND TOTAL = $252,665

I think he answered that. I'm tipping public liability insurance for riders and spectators probably accoutns for a fair whack across the year as well.

Maligno

Squid
Public Liability for spectators maybe but riders are covered by their 'licence' which they have to pay for.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Public Liability for spectators maybe but riders are covered by their 'licence' which they have to pay for.
Do a search. The "where do the profits from races go" arguments have been done to death, usually by newbies on the outside with no idea how expensive thing are to put on...

Tomas

my mum says im cool
250k! i bet all the mtb clubs cash themselves massive cheques at the end of the race weekend due to all the surplus funds.

:rolleyes:

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was curious about your cry for volunteers so I had a look at the number of entrants into last years Scott 24hr:

GRAND TOTAL = $252,665

Why don't you read a little harder mate:

This 24 Hour Champs is the major fund raiser for the club. Funds are used to :
-build trails;
-undertake trail advocacy;
-support the juniors program including the 'Switchback' youth at risk program;
-provide subsidised racing;
-purchase key equipment including down-hill timing equipment and downhill trailers;

Unless you're going to be putting your hand up to volunteer i'd suggest you don't post in this thread!

W.bat

Likes Dirt
I agree.

They put on a kick arse event and even if they did make bucks on it so be it.

Volunteering is killer fun anyway. You've got to get involved to be involved.

Maligno

Squid
Reading is overated..... :rolleyes:

All i am saying is; if you can't get volunteers, how about you try paying people to do it? It's quite obvious you can afford it.

demo man

Used to be cool.

GRAND TOTAL = $252,665

Yes, you may ask. But know that it has already been answered, if you'd care to read.

And the whole damn event is ORGANISED by volunteers - CORC is a non-profit organisation that has done so much for mountain biking it's incalculable. CORC is a group of cyclists, I'd estimate at around 40 of them, who have consistently been working hard for many many years to better out sport. Your suggestion that they are somehow being selfish with this money is offensive, you really just don't have a clue what goes on.

As AB says in his mail-out (which is directly above your post), the funds go into making the sport better. Someone already quoted his list so I won't repeat, but have a look at www.corc.asn.au to see some of the stuff they do (like 60+ events per year, many of them subsidised by this one).

thecat pointed out correctly before that this 'they are making heaps of money!' claim has been made plenty of times before, and it has always been someone who has never had any role in organising an event, often of any kind, let alone a mountain bike race. Very few events of any kind happen without volunteers, I'm pretty sure even MotoGP and Formula1 races have vollies, and they make a lot more money than the Scott 24hr.

Volunteering is a way to put something back into the sport you enjoy so much. NO mountain biking event happens without volunteers. Besides, it's a lot of fun, I've been a vollie at a heap of different events, I even ran a few myself, and it's a great time. The fact that you get a BBQ and a chance at winning some bike goodies is a pretty cool bonus too - plus you usually get a free t-shirt and some food.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC

All i am saying is; if you can't get volunteers, how about you try paying people to do it? It's quite obvious you can afford it.
It's quite obvious you don' know what you are talking about and could be bothered trying to rectify the situation...

Simple fact is if they pay people it cuts out on their profit and thus CORC will no longer be able to afford to host the annual rich club presidents week long hooker and coke weekend christmas party... Sheeeesh!

Ah. that reminds me. Anthony, I didn't get my solid gold invite this year

:cool::cool::cool::rolleyes:

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Simple fact is if they pay people it cuts out on their profit and thus CORC will no longer be able to afford to host the annual rich club presidents week long hooker and coke weekend christmas party... Sheeeesh!
I must have missed my invite to this event too....

On a more serious note, given the number of events that CORC puts on each year, it doesn't surprise me that there are a lack of volunteer numbers though.

Assuming its not being done already, making a donation to another community group (Scouts, CWA etc etc) in return for help seems like a reasonable thing to do in order to ensure the success of the event. That's what we do.

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Day release

Please dont flame me , but a good cheap labour force can be day release prisoners . Generally there good guy`s just a bit wild .
. Is there a jail in Canberra you could talk to about there day release program .

JP

Likes Dirt
Please dont flame me , but a good cheap labour force can be day release prisoners . Generally there good guy`s just a bit wild .
. Is there a jail in Canberra you could talk to about there day release program .
At least you'd know where to look if any bikes went missing!

An organisation I know used to use day release guys to "mow" their grass. Somehow every time the crims got their hands on the lawn maintenance gear the equipment sufffered massive mechanical faults that cost shitloads to get fixed. Put 'em in "The Hole" I say!

smytht1

Likes Dirt

Your an idiot, do you have any idea of how much work goes into the running of these events not to mention a whole club? There are a lot of people who work very hard so that unappreciative people like you can race. How about you give some of your time and help out rather than just comming onto farkin and bitch about how corc apparently needs to pay for volunteers. If corc has to pay people to run an event then that means that less money goes into subsidising race entry, building trails and whole lot of other programs that virtually run the mountain biking community in the ACT. Go jump in a lake.

smytht1

Likes Dirt
It has been done before in the building of stage 1 of Stromlo when there were issues with numbers of volunteers at working bees. The only problem with this is that there might be an issue with them being around people because at working bees they were away from everyone else.

gerg

Likes Bikes
I volunteered at the recent World's and had a great day their, unfortunately I could only volunteer for a day due to other commitments over the weekend.

I have also volunteered for the 24hr and looking forward to it - anybody thinking about trying it should give it a go because its heaps of fun and makes you all fuzzy on the inside.