Vuelta ... sneaky Cadel.

Andy.G

Likes Dirt
Watch out ... Cadel now sittin' pretty in 3rd overall.
All very quiet too ... not much attention. Just the way he would like it.

No cheating using Guurgle ... Who was the highest placed Aussie in the Vuelta ever?

Check out these apples :
General classification after stage 9

1 Denis Menchov (Rus) Rabobank 33.54.46
2 Vladimir Efimkin (Rus) Caisse d'Epargne at 2.01
3 Cadel Evans (Aus) Predictor - Lotto 2.27
4 Carlos Sastre (Spa) Team CSC 3.02
5 Ezequiel Mosquera Miguez (Spa) Karpin Galicia 4.02
6 Stijn Devolder (Bel) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 4.28
7 Samuel Sánchez (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi 4.42
8 Vladimir Karpets (Rus) Caisse d'Epargne 4.58
9 Maxime Monfort (Bel) Cofidis - Le Crédit par Téléphone 5.07
10 Carlos Barredo (Spa) Quickstep - Innergetic 5.19

Captain Kirk

Likes Bikes
Dont know who was it ?........or has there ever been a placing ?:confused:

Cadel has been looking a bit rough compared to Menchov though, a had pretty ordinary TT for him. After peaking for the TDF, will his form form improve or weaken in the 3rd week ?

Fingers crossed for the win, maybe 2nd is more realistic ???

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The first TT was a downhill run - good for the heavier, power TT riders - and the TT on the 2nd last day is no better.

He's only just down on Menchov, so maybe he'll come good as they get into the next set of hills, and there are some nasty steep bastards in there too.

floz

Likes Dirt
I'm guessing that Cadel himself was probably the highest placed Aussie in the Vuelta. He was somewhere in the top 20 a few years ago - 2004 maybe.
Otherwise maybe Neil Stephens in the early to mid 90s.

ozelise

Likes Dirt
The first TT was a downhill run - good for the heavier, power TT riders - and the TT on the 2nd last day is no better.
Agreed. Cadel seems to do better on TT with some hills, even if they are only of a minor gradient (as the 1st TT was in the Tdf).

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
considering cadel said he was only using the vuelta for training for the world champs hes doing well. hes currently sitting 2"27 back i think he can make it up in the tt but i dont thinks hes to fussed about winning.

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nup, he's not getting 2 mins back in a 20km flat TT. Only the big gear monsters could do that.

Captain Kirk

Likes Bikes
I think his real aim is get UCI Pro Tour Points, if he comes second he will just pip for 1st ! But 3rd won't do it :(

http://www.uciprotour.com/Modules/S...=/templates/UCI/UCI2/layout.asp?MenuId=MjE5OA

Rank Previous (29.08.2007) Riders UCI Code Teams Points
1 1 DI LUCA Danilo (ITA) ITA19760102 Liquigas 232
2 2 CONTADOR VELASCO Alberto (ESP) ESP19821206 Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 191
3 3 VALVERDE BELMONTE Alejandro (ESP) ESP19800425 Caisse d'Epargne 190
4 4 EVANS Cadel (AUS) AUS19770214 Predictor-Lotto 174

istepinyards

Likes Bikes
I agree with the cadel for UCI points well......err..point:rolleyes:
The Lotto team must now surely realise they need someone better than Horner as mountain support.

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I dunno about the Pro Tour thing - I mean, does anyone care who wins that one? For example do you know the current title holder, and what colour is the jersey?

(A: It's Valverde, and white.)

Tonight's stage doesn't look fun - 133km but with a few bitchin' climbs including two ascents of the finishing climb that has a 19% pinch. I wonder if Cadel has the firepower to try and crack Menchov, but not lose time to Sastre. Apart from the lame 20km flat TT and the roll into Madrid, it is the only chance he's got left.

craign

Likes Dirt
Tonight's stage doesn't look fun - 133km but with a few bitchin' climbs including two ascents of the finishing climb that has a 19% pinch. I wonder if Cadel has the firepower to try and crack Menchov, but not lose time to Sastre. Apart from the lame 20km flat TT and the roll into Madrid, it is the only chance he's got left.
Nope, I think he'll be more worried about losing second place to Sastre!

istepinyards

Likes Bikes
Cadel cracked hard last night. Looked very second hand at the finish. Not sure if after last night he has the legs for the TT but here's hoping. 3rd wouldn't be that bad...... hey I'd take it:D

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cadel didn't have the firepower to stay with sastre he attacked and is now in 2nd place on gc whilst cadel is only hanging onto third by 9 seconds.
General classification after stage 19

1 Denis Menchov (Rus) Rabobank 77.59.17
2 Carlos Sastre (Spa) Team CSC 3.02
3 Cadel Evans (Aus) Predictor - Lotto 3.49
4 Samuel Sánchez (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi 3.58
5 Ezequiel Mosquera Miguez (Spa) Karpin Galicia 5.23
6 Vladimir Efimkin (Rus) Caisse d'Epargne 5.47

ozelise

Likes Dirt
Unfortunately lost another position after the TT. Mecnchov looks like he's sewn it up. Well done Cadel, a big effort - if ever there's a cyclist that looks like his performance is unassisted, just look at Cadel for the 10-15min after any stage. He redefines the word buggered.