VW on the ropes again

John U

MTB Precision
Wow. That sounds like it will hit them hard in the U.S. I wonder what the impact will be here? A soft slap over the wrist with a slightly damp sponge?

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have information that a local car maker has been doing similar things for over a decade. I'm sure VW isn't the only one that's ever done something dodgy like this.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
The only reason a manufacturer would do this is to provide a reliable engine in an off-test situation.

If VW are going to be forced to run their engines in lean (clean) mode all the time, reliability will have to take the brunt of this!

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
The only reason a manufacturer would do this is to provide a reliable engine in an off-test situation.

If VW are going to be forced to run their engines in lean (clean) mode all the time, reliability will have to take the brunt of this!
This. An properly functioning, economical diesel engine will never meet the US regs. Nor does the US auto industry want them to.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I can see aftermarket tuners loving this - restoring the power and economy losses the VW software 'update' will inevitably give.

And lawyers. Class-action lawsuits for filthy customers who purchased said vehicles on the basis of unrealistic performance/economy figures.

OTOH until motoring journalists and the sheeple start to realise that das eurotrash image das not match the ownership reality maybe VAG will continue to be Teflon coated in its ability to have the shit stick to it.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was the DSG issue like the the young lady that got run over by a truck when her golf dropped dead on the motorway? VW denied it from memory then claim was settled out of court, and a recall a few weeks later. If so that's shady as hell.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
This. An properly functioning, economical diesel engine will never meet the US regs. Nor does the US auto industry want them to.
Thats not true - it was just VW trying to squeeze the much cheaper and old school EGR NOx control tech through in the US, where emissions limits are much tighter than the EU (and hence us - ADR uses EU standards, albeit with a lag of a couple of years).

This is largely driven in the US by California, that has been going very very hard on emissions long before there was any concerns about imports competing with domestic car makers.

If diesel can perform, it can be sold. I am sure that the much tighter margins in the US market, and the muchg stronger consumer laws also inspired the decision to use the cheaper technology.

All VWs diesels now use SCR (urea dosing of the exhaust) to get past Euro 6, so VW was no doubt hoping they would get away with it in the US as they would be selling the SCR engines there soon anyway.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/18/vw-air-rule-violation-allegations-stunning-18b-fine-unlikely/

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/18/volkswagen-diesel-federal-charges/

Last edited:

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Was the DSG issue like the the young lady that got run over by a truck when her golf dropped dead on the motorway? VW denied it from memory then claim was settled out of court, and a recall a few weeks later. If so that's shady as hell.
Not only denial but threats were made to outspoken customers, from memory. Very, very shady.

Re DSG interesting that Ford has reverted back to a standard torque-converter in the new focus. Speaks volumes IMO.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Nope. She was driving a manual.

DSGs are unreliable - mines been replaced - but the issues with their DSGs are nothing like the blatant infringements of tampering with emissions testing. The U.S. takes a dim view to emissions fudging.

scblack

Leucocholic
Re DSG interesting that Ford has reverted back to a standard torque-converter in the new focus. Speaks volumes IMO.
CVT style autos are better than both. My Forester has one and it works brilliantly, including properly holding gears down an incline, towing a 1,500kg camper trailer.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Every transmission type has its place. But I'm going transmission-less in my next car. Electric it will be.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Every transmission type has its place. But I'm going transmission-less in my next car. Electric it will be.
This. Every time I do an oil change, change a timing belt, change a clutch or a transmission solenoid, deal with the cooling system, find an oil/exhaust/coolant leak, or stand at the petrol pump sucking in fumes I dream of an electric car...

link1896

Mr Greenfield
This. Every time I do an oil change, change a timing belt, change a clutch or a transmission solenoid, deal with the cooling system, find an oil/exhaust/coolant leak, or stand at the petrol pump sucking in fumes I dream of an electric car...

This. I love my electric mower. While I was changing the timing belt on a mates missus camry I was thinking " bring on electric"

floody

Wheel size expert
On the ropes? LOL.
VW are the Apple of the automobile industry. None of this will do anything to dissuade their fanboys/fangirls.