WATER PROOF COMMUTER BACK PACK

marks

Likes Bikes
Does anyone have any real world recommendations for water proof back packs?
I don't carry computers or anything like that. its just really my lunch and the days work clothes.
Living on the Gold Coast we don't get that terrible weather often but I arrived at work today with 50 mm of water in the bottom of back pack.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I’ve had a few Chrome bags in the past, currently a Bravo 2 which is great. Roll top so there’s a bit of flexibility in capacity, plus you can strap shit to the outside if you need to carry something bulky from time to time. Tough cordura build with external seams and vinyl lining so about as waterproof as a daily use backpack gets.

They also do some welded bags that are literally air tight - I used to have a roll top duffel that strapped to a front rack and you would have to push the air out if it as you rolled it shut or it would just be a big balloon. It floated when I dropped it in the creek for lols which was great.

They can be a bit exxy in Aus, but they go on sale in the UK relatively frequently and then you can cut the VAT off the price too.

Last edited:

rstim

Likes Dirt
Don't have personal experience with this backpack https://henty.cc/shop/26l-sports-backpack/
But I do have the Henty enduro riding pack and it's great quality and very comfy, I also love it's a Tasmanian company. May be bigger than you need or want though?
I also have an Amplfi 12lt riding pack that has a pull out rain cover. It's a great pack if I need to take more stuff on a ride with the kids.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
I've used a Deuter cover (on a Deuter bag). For light to medium rain it was fine, but heavy rainfall it would just seep in along the straps and under the cover.
I was always going to invest in an Ortlieb backpack but price was, and still is, prohibitive.
I ended up getting some roll-top dry bags to stash my gear in and and used the cover over the bag.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
They also do some welded bags that are literally air tight - I used to have a roll top duffel that strapped to a front rack and you would have to push the air out if it as you rolled it shut or it would just be a bit balloon. It floated when I dropped it in the creek for lols which was great.
One of these would be pretty good; it’s the backpack version of the welded roll top duffel I had.
https://www.chromeindustries.com/pr...or=BK&dwvar_BG-312_size=NA&cgid=view_all_bags

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I've used a Deuter cover (on a Deuter bag). For light to medium rain it was fine, but heavy rainfall it would just seep in along the straps and under the cover.
I was always going to invest in an Ortlieb backpack but price was, and still is, prohibitive.
I ended up getting some roll-top dry bags to stash my gear in and and used the cover over the bag.
Another vote for Deuter, but I don't get rained on that hard, or that often

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
You could grab a bikepacking style seat or handlebar roll bag for you clothes and stuff that needs to stay dry. Though not very handy to access stuff or take it off the bike when you arrive at work.

Good gear - https://www.apidura.com/shop/

Petero

Likes Dirt
My Camelback mule has an integrated rain cover that is tucked away in the bottom of the pack when unused. Does what it's meant to. Probably not ideal for fitting clothes etc. though and unsure if you need a hydration pack..

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
just stuff your gear into a garbage bag or a couple of coles bags, unless the stuff is going to sit in there for hours lying down, should be fine..
I invested in a waterproof backpack with an intergrated rain cover for when I did the Inca Trail, after the first day of constant rain and nearly killing my camera, I just wrapped everything up in one of those $2 poncho's you get at the airport and service stations, I resigned to the fact that it was better for me to end up wet than my phone and camera!

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
Rain covers are good for light rain. They're not effective for heavy rain, you're better off putting your gear in a waterproof stuff sack and not worrying about the backpack. None of the covers I'd tried kept all my gear completely dry in the northern monsoon seasons.

sbm

Likes Bikes
Rain covers are good for light rain. They're not effective for heavy rain, you're better off putting your gear in a waterproof stuff sack and not worrying about the backpack. None of the covers I'd tried kept all my gear completely dry in the northern monsoon seasons.
Second this. Covers don't really work, they have a hole by design. The hardcore bushwalkers I know put a dry bag inside the backpack, and then actually crimp eyelets into the bottom so water can drain out around the dry bag.

Flow-Rider

Burner
We don't see heavy rain here like in NQ, you only see a large deluge if there's a storm about. I can't ever remember getting my phone wet just having it in a camelbak, water gets into them through the zippers but it's usually just damp. It's more the spray from your back wheel going up your back as you ride. When it rains real heavy that it stings your face, most of us pull over and wait under a bridge or tree till it stops.

Last edited:

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
ive got a crumpler propellor, crumpler have lost their way but the roll top bags seem to offer tip top water protection, the old crumpler canvas 1 strap sling bags are also excellent, good quality canvas

Isildur

The Real Pedant
I've been using an Exped Torrent 20 for years. Heavy PU Material, Welded Seams and roll-top closure. I've even taken it on quick canyons (where I was the lucky one not carrying any gear!) and it's stayed 100% dry in all conditions.

Harder to find these days, but bloody good.

I've used Ortlieb packs as well which are just as bombproof, but their harnesses never got on with me.