What 600cc moto?

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
thinking about getting a road moto

still got to do RTA test etc

i'll be able to get upto a 600, some bikes restricted though

i'm looking for something to ride to work, 35kms each way, dry weather only!!!
and the odd little road expedition

i'm not looking for a new hobby, and i don't want a trail bike

really like the look of the Ducati Monster, and the 600 is on the approved RTA list
i like the semi naked/cafe racer bikes, however i like the look of some of the RR bikes too, such as the ZX-6's

any views?

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
SV650
Monster
ER6
FZ6
600 Hornet
GSF600 (I think, Suzuki naked with GSXR motor)

Nathan_

Likes Dirt
i have a 650 BMW Daker - really good learners bike and pretty forgivable - on/offroad duties (and can take a bike rack if needed :p)

skivi

Likes Dirt
what's your budget?
what is your previous motorcycle experience like?
how old/physically fit are you?

if you have previous experience with bigger bikes in particular don't count out supermotards, they can be a lot of fun under the speed limit and they're cheaper to crash, maintain, insure and modify.
if your new to bikes i always recommend getting an old hack to make all your mistakes on.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
You have a Pitch that you can strap a 2 stroke too!..and whats wrong with the Landy, i might add?

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
RSEX ... I've got a '99 which you can pretty much pickup for 6K or less which is ridiculous.

ZX6R I don't like the green ... but

prolly not allowed ... but ahhhhhhhhh ... would be what I'd get if I were to upgrade

Naked version

Check out bike biz ... CP from the Sydney Night ride thread is currently working there ... the buggar keeps TXTing me whenever he gets on a new bike ... BASTARD :D

I recommend 2nd hand as well ... especially since I've seen you crash on the oaks .... jokes Dude :p ... seriously, with all those twisty roads and klunkers out your way, I'm sure you'll find some oil or other crap mid corner.

Invest in some good boots and full leathers if possible ... even if its a relatively short ride and a pain to get in and out of them ... with the roads you'll be riding on, best to be safe ... especially when your starting out.

Good luck Dude ... be an awesome regular commute for ya :cool:

jrewing

Eats Squid
The triumphs have the best exhaust note of them all. i'd recommend the naked triple(forget exact name) as it's a good mix of street cred,comfort,power and can scratch up a back road with any bike. monsters are nice too, a bit more relaxed than the triumph tho.
EDIT. just saw upto 600cc, thought you might have had the exemption to go full capacity. go for the ducati

how about the new aprilia v4 1000 superbike...oops, that's what i want and could possibly get if business improves

Last edited:

Mongo

Likes Bikes
I got the impression that you were under some sort of licence restriction in your post. Because you can ride up to a 660 in most states on your L's and year of restrictions doesn't mean you can can jump onto a Jap sportsbike. There's a power to weight thing going on. Your local RTA or Vicroads will have a list of bikes that new riders can get away with.
I may have mis-interpreted and your not on restrictions. In that case apologies. But what I can say is that Life is better with a moto in the garage.

Oh - And make sure you have plenty of money left over for safety gear. Good Luck

frostbite

Likes Dirt
I got the impression that you were under some sort of licence restriction in your post. Because you can ride up to a 660 in most states on your L's and year of restrictions doesn't mean you can can jump onto a Jap sportsbike. There's a power to weight thing going on. Your local RTA or Vicroads will have a list of bikes that new riders can get away with.
I may have mis-interpreted and your not on restrictions. In that case apologies. But what I can say is that Life is better with a moto in the garage.

Oh - And make sure you have plenty of money left over for safety gear. Good Luck
Seeing as he put "till got to do RTA test etc" in his post I think you're right.

You'll be limited to the LAMS bikes. I dont ride but my brother just got his first bike and went with a 250cc because they hold their value really well, and they are cheap. So you can get a faster bike after a year or so.