What are you listening to NOW?

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
channelling my teenage years and have been listening to Tool.

i was young and stupid, but now I realise how political they are.
Kind like a heavy metal version of midnight oil.

mtb1611

Seymour
Been hitting up a lot of vinyl lately. Currently spinning an original Waterfront copy of the Hard Ons "Dickcheese". Cosmic Psychos "Go the Hack" is next....saw both bands at the Manning Bar back in June, brilliant stuff indeedy.

mtb1611

Seymour
channelling my teenage years and have been listening to Tool.

i was young and stupid, but now I realise how political they are.
Kind like a heavy metal version of midnight oil.
That's a big call....the impact of the Oil's political commentary was more effective than Tool's (if , in fact, they have any - some, like Vicarious, are definitely social commentaries) due to the fact it was unambiguous and easily interpreted by, well, pretty much anyone without a profound receptive disorder.

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
That's a big call....the impact of the Oil's political commentary was more effective than Tool's (if , in fact, they have any - some, like Vicarious, are definitely social commentaries) due to the fact it was unambiguous and easily interpreted by, well, pretty much anyone without a profound receptive disorder.

That was a MASSIVE call. Not sure many people can top Oils directness

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
Was not ment to be a comparison in terms of penetration into the actual issues they talk about. Definitely was not a Oils vs Tool comparison.
What I meant was they write about political and social issues in society like Midnight Oil does, but much darker, more overdrive and a lot more naughty words.

P.s. Peter Garrett is a flog and The Oils are way over rated. I think people think they like them because they talk about political issues so therefore it would be wrong if they didn't like them, thats not a call on their political views either, their actual music was crap.

Last edited:

Gripo

Eats Squid
Was not ment to be a comparison in terms of penetration into the actual issues they talk about. Definitely was not a Oils vs Tool comparison.
What I meant was they write about political and social issues in society like Midnight Oil does, but much darker, more overdrive and a lot more naughty words.

P.s. Peter Garrett is a flog and The Oils are way over rated. I think people think they like them because they talk about political issues so therefore it would be wrong if they didn't like them, thats not a call on their political views either, their actual music was crap.
They were of their time an important political voice....but Garrett's political career has proved anyone can be bought and possible degraded his work in the Oils

Thought he would've been smarter but yeah....

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I don't think he sold out so much as was naive to the machinations of the politic system. And I don't think the oils had that big of a reach/influence through their.music. but they did give a voice to a bunch of stuff that needed to be said.

Not to fuel the argument too much, but tool would have had a much larger audience to hear their social/politicalish rambling and thus from some perspective es may have had a greater influence. MJK loves.to blow his trumpet when the chance is given.

Last edited:

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
I don't think he sold out so much as was naive to the machinations of the politic system. And I don't think the oils had that big of a reach/influence through their.music. but they did give a voice to a bunch of stuff that needed to be said.

Not to fuel the argument too much, but tool would have had a much larger audience to hear their social/politicalish rambling and thus from some perspective es may have had a greater influence. MJK loves.to blow his trumpet when the chance is given.
Mmm i don't necessarily agree 100%, in terms of shear numbers Tool probably had more listeners, but when it comes to the genre of the music and the typical types of listeners/cultures of those people that would listen to Tool. Politics and social issues were probably not very high on their agenda.

They were more into smoking weed and head banging.

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
Lord Huron - Lonesome Dreams..
My little boy wanted a particular song from walking the dinosaurs movie which was by Lord Huron.. The album is actually good.

Fish90

Likes Dirt
Exactly. Saw them last year, best night of my life! Winston's such a good frontman and from watching the dvd's they all seem like a bunch top dudes
I dunno how many times I've watched the DVDs! Soooo good!! How epic is there set at sonisphere!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtb1611

Seymour
I'm a fan of both bands but to suggest that Tool have had more a) reach and b) socio-political clout and have therefore been more influential than Midnight Oil is utterly absurd. Midnight Oil reached (and continue to reach) a far broader market than do Tool; virtually everyone between the ages of 25-65 can name an Oils song - I doubt the same can be said for Tool.

In terms of Garrett's political naivety well, I don't think he was naive at all. Through his music he lambasted both major parties and yet aligned himself exclusively to one of them. Naive no, sell-out yes (pains me to say it).

mtb1611

Seymour
W
That's a judgement call but suggests you know absolutely nothing about song composition, musicianship or the task of weaving complexity and content into lyrics.

People don;t like music, or buy albums, or attend live shows, based purely on their political tastes. If the only magnet was politicisation of lyrics, gigs would be empty/

rollingrambo

Likes Dirt
I dunno how many times I've watched the DVDs! Soooo good!! How epic is there set at sonisphere!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh hell yes that shows how good deliver me is. And I love how pig wrecks his ankle yet still starts the tour in a wheelchair