Pavement - crooked rain
Radiohead - OK Computer
Soundtrack to the movie - A Single Man
Nick Cave - Henry’s Dream
Soundtrack to the movie - Amelie

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Ooooh, top 5 hey?

Without even thinking, they're all going to be from my formative years. But everyone knows music has gone to shit since I was a teenager, right?

1 - Metallica - ride the lightning
Not their best production wise, they hadn't quite found 'that sound' yet, but the writing is out-fucking-standing. Every song a masterpiece and all capped off with that epic instrumental at the end, can't beat this album

2 - tool - aenima
Tool fucked up with this one. Undertow was great, but aenima was phenomenal and they couldn't come near this again. How do you follow up on perfection?

3 - slipknot - self titled
This one found its way into the shiny new cd player in my hq sedan when I was 19, my steering wheel got belted oblong while I trashed the crap out of that poor old beast listening to the angriest music I'd ever heard. Still riles me up like nothing else

4 - guns n roses - use your illusion 2
The album that properly started my appreciation for music, this cassette copped a beating in the old Panasonic boombox. Get in the ring motherfucker!

5 - pink Floyd - dark side of the moon
Ok, chill out time. I played this, the wall, and wish you were here flat out while I was ahem trying new things. This one was always the best ride though, spectacular tracks played individually but really comes alive listened to start to finish.

Special mention to offspring's smash, Pennywise's full circle, chilli's blood sugar sex magic and Metallica binge and purge. Screw you for making me pick 5

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
Fuck, how could I have left Blood Sugar Sex Magik out...

Also - Nevermind, Neil Young’s Harvest, and Dark Side of the Moon, Moby - Play, Master of Puppets, Aniema, Jeff Buckley - Grace, George Michael - Listen without Prejudice, Nils Frahm - Spaces, Royksopp - Junior....

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Agree with all that except every song being a masterpiece, Trapped Under Ice stands out for the wrong reasons on that album. Weakest track from their first four albums for mine. Still a masterpiece album.
I don't see it, rose tinted glasses maybe? Every track has found its way onto at least one of my mix tapes, some are better than others but for me the low bar for the album is still stupid high.

Curious as to why, if there is a tangible reason?

(Listening to it now, Friday nights going to be a little later now )

...fuuuuuuck yeah

Last edited:

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Yeah, for me The Real Thing is their most consistent album but Angel Dust probably has the best outright tunes.
Those two albums were on repeat in my teens and early 20's.
Magic rock music.
They are quite different, but every time I thought I liked one better than the other, I would flip back to the other one!

(Strangely, Mr Bungle never clicked with me like FNM...)

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I don't see it, rose tinted glasses maybe? Every track has found its way onto at least one of my mix tapes, some are better than others but for me the low bar for the album is still stupid high.

Curious as to why, if there is a tangible reason?

(Listening to it now, Friday nights going to be a little later now )

...fuuuuuuck yeah

It's just a clunky song to me. Has good elements but quite a few parts don't gel with me.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Top five albums of all time? My indecisive tendencies won't allow for that, usually my favourite album is the one that I'm listening to which may vary by year/month/week/day/hour/mood...

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Sleep: Holy mountain. So many bangers, great album to fire up.

NOFX: punk in drublic. This was one of my gateway albums and I played it to death. The nostalgia is high and I love fat mike.

Electric wizard: Dopethrone.

Mogwai: Pick any album. I love them all.

Black Sabbath: sabbath bloody sabbath.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Those two albums were on repeat in my teens and early 20's.
Magic rock music.
They are quite different, but every time I thought I liked one better than the other, I would flip back to the other one!

(Strangely, Mr Bungle never clicked with me like FNM...)

I have little doubt a substance filled share house assisted in my like of Bungle, but even now in my middle aged relative sobriety I still feel only Bungle truly showcased Patton’s ability to span every genre from death metal to crooning tenor.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There’s this great little show on a community station down here. The host plays a new track, followed by a few songs which influenced the band and their sound. He has a guest muso on each week presenting their formative 5, not their all time faves, but the tunes which shaped their sound. It throws up some very unusual tracks, but you can hear how each odd choice has influenced the band in some way. It’s maybe a little nerdy but really entertaining.

https://www.rrr.org.au/explore/programs/the-golden-age-of-piracy

I’m no musician, but as a big consumer of music this is my formative 5. Not necessarily the best, but stuff that has steered me in a certain direction

Wish you were here. Pink Floyd
Black Sabbath. Black Sabbath
Nest of vipers. Exploding white mice
Wammo. Bailter Space
Doolittle. Pixies

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I have little doubt a substance filled share house assisted in my like of Bungle, but even now in my middle aged relative sobriety I still feel only Bungle truly showcased Patton’s ability to span every genre from death metal to crooning tenor.
Ditto to all of that :)

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Mike's fahn awesome. Kills me is one of the best singers of all time. Put that in your pipe and smoke it you bunch of Diva's singing with attitude.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/conseq...-rose-is-the-greatest-singer-of-all-time/amp/

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Sleep: Holy mountain. So many bangers, great album to fire up.

NOFX: punk in drublic. This was one of my gateway albums and I played it to death. The nostalgia is high and I love fat mike.

Electric wizard: Dopethrone.

Mogwai: Pick any album. I love them all.

Black Sabbath: sabbath bloody sabbath.
Oh yeah, my final years of high school... and a few more after that we're conducted with a NOFX soundtrack.
For me Punk in Drublic and Ribbed were fav's.
'The Malachi Crunch' is friggin epic!

mtb1611

Seymour
[QUOTE="Dozer, post: 3234845, member: 2338"
There you go, I'm nearly complete. ;)
What are your five go-to albums?
[/QUOTE]

5 shmive, impossible, how dare you! However, the 5 I'd pick today, as we speak:

1 - The Specials 'The Specials', life changer for me.
2- Therapy? 'Troublegum'. Very rarely do I see a previously unheard band for the first time, and be instantly blown away. T? are this band for me.
3 - V Spy V Spy 'AO MOD TV VERS'. IMHO Australia's most underrated rock band. Incredible live, I modelled my own drumming on Cliff Grigg's for many years.
4- New Order 'Low Life'. Dark, beautiful, genius.
5 - Poison Idea 'Feel the Darkness'. Punk, rock, brutal, brilliant.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just heard Ozzy has pulled out of headlining that download festival citing health concerns.

Hasn’t his entire life been a health concern?

Anyway, decided to pull out some Randy era Ozzy