What Bottom Bracket Do I Need?

el~rio

Likes Dirt
So I've bought a new XT crankset for my 2012 Anthem X 29er to replace the stock SRAM crank. As the bike has a SRAM GXP press fit bottom bracket what bottom bracket/ adapter will I need to get the XT crankset to fit?

el~rio

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the quick replies. One more question, what tools would I need to remove the old bottom bracket and install the new one?

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
To remove it I used a hammer and large pin punch. I just hit each side out from inside but the opposite side, if that makes sense.
To install it I just supported the frame on a block of wood and using a large socket and hammer just tapped it in. Just do it gently and go round in circles so it goes in evenly. They go in pretty easy really, it doesn't take a lot of force. Just make sure when you're installing it to only hit the outside section. Don't hit it in from the middle or you'll damage the bearing.
This is not the correct technique and you can go out and spend a lot of money buying the correct tools. But it works and is used in the industry.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the quick replies. One more question, what tools would I need to remove the old bottom bracket and install the new one?
these are the tools you need. you could also use threaded rod to install and a socket/extension to remove BBs. be very careful to 1. get them in (BBs) squarely and 2. don't over tighten, otherwise outer edge on BB shimano will crack.

you could also consider using some (Loctite ® 609™ Retaining Compound),to seat bearings in BB shell area. not to lock them in but to keep them firmly in place to avoid creaking.

not a bad price: AU$49.00
SC-175Z.jpg

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
these are the tools you need. you could also use threaded rod to install and a socket/extension to remove BBs. be very careful to 1. get them in (BBs) squarely and 2. don't over tighten, otherwise outer edge on BB shimano will crack.

you could also consider using some (Loctite ® 609™ Retaining Compound),to seat bearings in BB shell area. not to lock them in but to keep them firmly in place to avoid creaking.

not a bad price: AU$49.00
View attachment 282767
Looks good. Reasonably priced too. But sold out.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yes just giving him an idea, didn't check if they were in stock.

I use threaded rod + large washers from bunnings, your method works as well, only problem is if he's not the 'good with his hands type of guy' then as you know hammers and .... well anyway.

one day someone will invent a BB system that screws in!!!!! hang on it's already been done, wft. ;-)