What car do you drive?

redbruce

Eats Squid
My previous car was a 2005 mini
Very fun to drive, used very little fuel (750km was not uncommon on long freeway trips)
Servicing was very expensive, pretty much once a year, pretty much had to fix random broken stuff each time. Never left the shop spending less than 2k
No spare tyre, wife got a flat about 1km from work. She kept driving:( I had to leave work to go try fix it, tyre sealant stuff they provide was useless
My daughter wants one of these. In searching the web, yours is a familiar story.

Last edited:

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
My rig, Its a delicate balance modding this and attempting to do a bike build on an apprentice wage.

Its a 1995 mj triton. 2.5 litre turbo diesel.
Getting it into that position in the first place is impressive enough, but then hopping out to take the photo? Nicely done!

knob scortcher

Likes Dirt
Getting it into that position in the first place is impressive enough, but then hopping out to take the photo? Nicely done!
It was the single most scariest thing ive done in it so far. Had two guys on motos ride past and give me a thumbs up and headed off. I slipped into a hole someone ,made attempting to get up this part. so hopped out to secure a strap to the tree beside me. seeing as which its all i had to help stop it tipping if it went. Picture doesn't do it justice.

This pic is the track around it. Had to get pulled out since i had no traction and another wheel lifting. Flexes like a brick.

Attachments

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice shots!

I drive a '99 Nissan Maxima inherited from my grandma. I can fit 2 bikes on the rear seat sans wheels, but now I have a boot carrier so can take 3 bikes and 5 people + tools and stuff in the boot.
She's been a very reliable old girl, coming up to 245,000km on the clock. Leaks power steering fluid like a sieve and has at least 2 ignition coils which are gone, so it's running quite rough at the moment (new coils and spark plugs should be in her in the next week or 3).
Services are generally expensive because they always find something that needs fixing (last one was the front right wheel bearing - next up is the front brakes).

Otherwise, when it has all 6 coils working it has a lot of power on the highway, pushes about 800k's per tank and is super comfortable to drive in. Would probably trade for another Max, but I'm going down the Patrol route next.

Been looking at buying something bigger for the expanding family (and the future need to tow a camping trailer) and one option is the Ford Ranger 4x2 XLT (same motor as the BT50?)
How does the 4x2 compare vs 4x4? Fuel economy? Road manners? Off road ability? Cant really justify the extra $$$$ of the 4x4.
My work car is a 2011 ranger 4x2, hi-rider 2.2L diesel auto. It's an extra cab so has the suicide rear doors, and an alloy tray. Not sure if the spec level, I'd say one below the XLT as I think that would then be the 3.2L

Previous work car was a 2010 hilux SR 4x2 dual cab, 4.0L petrol auto.

The ranger is a far better car than the hilux. Drives better, brakes much better, way better on fuel, interior seems to be less creaky and both are around the same age and Kms.

The ranger does ~800-850kms to an 80L tank. The hilux was lucky to get to 550kms from 70L.

The ranger is definately a big car though, it felt enormous for the first while I had it, I'm used to it now. But it does take a bit of car in tight car parks. It also does have quite bad turbo lag from standstill though I would think the 3.2 would be much better in that regard. The high ground clearance is handy, though of course it will could get out of its depth off road, but for fire trails etc shouldn't be an issue.

If I had to buy a car I would struggle to look past one of these, tray is huge, good on fuel, comfy inside. Back seats are a little cramped but it's only lift bludgers that go in there so I care not haha.

Mtbs fit side ways accross the tray, though I'm not sure how one of the tail gate pads would go with the ally tray.

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
Had a Subaru Liberty B4 twin turbo AWD, two bikes, wheels off, across the back seat, no probs, lots of up and down the east coast trips, averaged 10L/100km.

Moved onto a BMW 335i twin scroll turbo sedan, couldn't get a towbar for it (@$2k you can blow me BMW) so went with roofracks, worked fine. Easily did two bikes, could have done three if I bought another Frontloader rack, plenty of interior space for adults and long trips. Averaged 9.9L/100kms over the 53k kms we had it for, did 6.0L/100kms on a trip from QLD to VIC. Got me all around the SEQ for MTB races.

Family got bigger, needed more boot space so now running a current model Subaru Outback, have the option of rear towball racks or roof racks, has built in racks that unclip and cross over the car so retired my whispbars (gave them to a mate) and kept using the Frontloader racks, all good until the missus drives into the McDonalds drive through with two bikes up top... Using the 2.5L engine, average 10.5L/100 over 10k kms so far. Use the Eyesight cruise control a lot, it's fucking mint and saves you from going bananas during peak hour or long trips.

Hyped

Likes Bikes
Vote #1 Ford Ranger. Tailgate pad, 4 bikes, 4 blokes and gear easy. I could never go back to a sedan/hatch now.

dej

Likes Bikes
My daughter wants one of these. In searching the web, yours is a familiar story.
Yeah I'd avoid at all costs unfortunately.
I could list the problems I had, it's a long list..PM me if you want details.
Things I had fixed/replaced i mostly wouldn't expect to have fixed on a brand new car (we owned from new for 8 years)
I keep reading the mini2 forums to see if they've improved, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be the case, despite the current car being completely different

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
SNIP

Moved onto a BMW 335i twin scroll turbo sedan, couldn't get a towbar for it (@$2k you can blow me BMW) so went with roofracks, worked fine. Easily did two bikes, could have done three if I bought another Frontloader rack, plenty of interior space for adults and long trips. Averaged 9.9L/100kms over the 53k kms we had it for, did 6.0L/100kms on a trip from QLD to VIC. Got me all around the SEQ for MTB races.

Nice car! I like the coupe version.

Anthony B

Likes Dirt
From the op's initial choices the hilux is the only decent car on the list, but that's a preference.

Anyway currently I have a 2012 S-Edition Forester, loaded up with 2 bike, a boot full of gear, & 2 mates trekked down to Bright, Mt Beauty, & Falls Creek in absolute comfort. Managed with a fully loaded car & road tyres to climb to the top of Mt Beauty for shuttles in the wet.

Previously had a 09 e82 135i BMW with roofrack for bike duties
pros: looked mint, 260rwkw & 590nm@2500rpm, & exhaust note to die for
cons: lost close to 25K in 1yr, not the most reliable in 1yr cost north of 7k in repairs, & general running cost(insurance, servicing, rego) near double the foz

Honestly love foz its quick, practical, & comfortable. But no car of mine can be standard & the Foz is no exception, catback, front & rear swaybars, slightly lowered, & soon to get a new tmic, dump pipe, & full tune which should see a healthy increase in power but also see improved fuel economy provided I drive responsibly

& the e82 I miss that exhaust note

terry.langham

Cannon Fodder
After much protesting I recently sold my Fiesta XR4 for a more family friendly 2004 Subaru Outback. While I have always proclaimed that 'soft roaders' are useless piles of pointless poser crap, I was wrong. The Subie has turned out to be a perfect fit for us. Plenty of room for kid stuff and/or bikes, and quite comfy on a long trip. My only issue with it is fuel economy while loaded. We only managed to get around 400km per tank on our trip to Victoria (still in Vic at the moment) which is 200km less than normal for h'way driving but the car was absolutely chockas.

IMG_1920.jpg

poita

Likes Dirt
I currently drive a Focus. Meets nearly none of your criteria and not many of mine, but it drives very very nicely around town and on the highway. Reasonable fuel use if driven sedately, but not miserly diesel type figures.

Previous car was a 2011 Grand Vitara, I reckon the 5 door fits your needs pretty well. We did 36000km round aus in ours including the Gibb and Cape York. Only mechanical we had were the (aftermarket) shocks failing in 45 degrees on the Gibb when everyone else's were packing up also.

Thinking about getting a higher clearance vehicle again myself, but the pragmatic approach is to park it up unless you are actually going to use the clearance on that trip. Otherwise it's a pain in the arse and expensive.

MARKL

Eats Squid
To the OP, you can see that almost all types of vehicles can be adapted for transporting bikes (but not necessarily all vehicles of a particular type). Unless you are planning on having dedicated mountain bike transport I would assume other needs are more important - pick the right type of vehicle and then find something in that class that works for you.

My 2c, transporting bikes inside the vehicle sounds like a great idea but in reality sux for anything that is not commercially based (van or ute). A good roof or tow bar rack is a small price to pay for having a good car that is relatively free of compromises.

Next car i'm looking at will be a renault clio or megane. Just gotta also convince the wife to put racks on as im tired of loading the bike in the back of the car
Beautiful car but cross the Megane off your list, current shape one can't fit tow bar or roof racks and bugger all boot space even with the seats down - I wouldn't even guarantee you could get a single bike in the back with both wheels off.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
To the OP, you can see that almost all types of vehicles can be adapted for transporting bikes (but not necessarily all vehicles of a particular type). Unless you are planning on having dedicated mountain bike transport I would assume other needs are more important - pick the right type of vehicle and then find something in that class that works for you.

My 2c, transporting bikes inside the vehicle sounds like a great idea but in reality sux for anything that is not commercially based (van or ute). A good roof or tow bar rack is a small price to pay for having a good car that is relatively free of compromises.

Beautiful car but cross the Megane off your list, current shape one can't fit tow bar or roof racks and bugger all boot space even with the seats down - I wouldn't even guarantee you could get a single bike in the back with both wheels off.
This is pretty good advice.

For the Megane - http://www.caradvice.com.au/243175/renault-megane-gt-220-sport-wagon-review/

Only downer with the sport wagon is that they put a conventional mac strut in - this can be relativly easily fixed though with the front end from a wrecked coupe - its a bolt in conversion and needed as it kills torque steer.

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/200704/2007-renault-megane-sport-4-1_1600x0w.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

redbruce

Eats Squid