What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Today is bright and sunny, so I'm off to the Youies later to test it all out.
Fark me, I'd forgotten how much pure fun this bike is to ride! I still have to tweak a bunch of stuff (soften the suspension just slightly, raise the seat post a tad, tweak this, fiddle with that), but even at 90% it was an absolute blast.

One thing I noticed is that when the shop put the fork back on, they put the stem a bit lower, with one spacer between the stem and the top cap, where it used to sit flush. I didn't know if I'd like it like that. I was worried I'd be too bent over the front. But I gave it a go, and I farkin' love it! It's
better on climbs (of course), and also noticeably better through corners. I don't have to be as conscious about putting my weight over the front wheel. It just happens. If someone had suggested I try it, I would have scoffed. But just having it done, and with the placebo effect not being a factor, the difference is noticeable. And no negative effect on descending that I noticed, although I didn't ride anything really steep.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Planned. Executed. Got some of the chocolates (and some other goodies!)

I don't follow Aussie XC that closely, but Russel Nankervis from Trek-Shimano came up with his brother, who beat him.

@silentbutdeadly, no podium for Mr President, he was 4th.

More importantly, 6th overall for me, second local over the line :D

@ozzybmx had a good day out too :)
Noticed all that.

Very happy to see the Coomie tradition of many juniors and their parents participating though... it's getting to be a rare thing in Oz MTB and something that the Coomie mob should be the most proud of.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Noticed all that.

Very happy to see the Coomie tradition of many juniors and their parents participating though... it's getting to be a rare thing in Oz MTB and something that the Coomie mob should be the most proud of.
On my second last lap, I'd just come to the second drop of Unhappy Valley and had a rider come in behind me at the junior track intersection. No problems there. Next thing I know he's calling track. WTF?? Turned out to be the winner of U17 and had only been racing for half the time I had been.

Mrs George heard plenty of comments from the visitors about how good the track is and how well it was put together :)

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Installed new PNW Bachelor dropper post with Loam lever. They managed to ship the post and separately purchased lever without including cable housing. Luckily the housing from my old 2x lever was just the right length. Bit of a puzzling oversight though, for an otherwise very well-packaged (and not cheap!) product. Do they just assume that everyone is going to have an old 2x lever lying around? I mean, it's a fair assumption, but still...
I put on of these in 2 weeks ago and was very surprised that there was no cable housing (or cable) with the post itself, and that the cable only came with the Loam lever which had to be purchased separately.
It seems to be an Australia (or outside US) issue, as all the online manuals show the Bachelor coming with a lever and the cable housing.

Ignoring that thought, I'm only 2 rides in with it but I really rate it as a dropper post, and installation was very easy.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
I put on of these in 2 weeks ago and was very surprised that there was no cable housing (or cable) with the post itself, and that the cable only came with the Loam lever which had to be purchased separately.
It seems to be an Australia (or outside US) issue, as all the online manuals show the Bachelor coming with a lever and the cable housing.

Ignoring that thought, I'm only 2 rides in with it but I really rate it as a dropper post, and installation was very easy.
When I was ordering, I contacted MTBDirect to clarify whether the post came with a lever, as reviews indicated it did, but it was listed as no lever on the MTBDirect site. They replied thusly:

"When PNW first released the Bachelor they sold it as a package with the Loam Lever, and all their other models could be upgraded to it (so we sold it like that, too). About 6 months ago they decided to stop selling the Bachelor with the lever, as they realised a lot of potential buyers already had a lever that they liked. So they decided to stop selling them together."

I guess they haven't updated the manuals yet.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Haven't ridden in over 2 weeks (after usually riding 2-4 times per week), so getting extremely toey. The only remedy is to buy more shit. So incoming is a new Fidlock bottle/mount as my current cage has the bottle fouling on the shock, a 2nd hand Super Deluxe coil (more weight yay!) to replace the air shock and an Exo Dissector for the rear.

Also getting the fork serviced for the first time, after 1300km :eek:, and brakes bled too, as they're a bit spongy when cold.

So all that change + lack of fitness should mean good times for Super D in 2 weeks! :D

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Pushy's carpark sale was on Saturday so Dave and I went, always a little underhwhelming because generally large boxes of generic shit being offloaded, the rest is like 20% off which you can negotiate on most days at most bike shops, but just don't try to get Pushy's physical Canberra store to match the online prices. Picked up a bottle cage for Mrs, some cheap sunnies and some shorts but the shorts were way too big for me, so they went to my son. He hasn't ridden for a while but the plan I'm getting him to help me with is he gets back into riding but needs my bike because neither of us fit his old one, and I need to get a new bike. Yep, I am dreaming, but it's a nice dream to have, I can almost see that barely used 2019 Bronson CC owned by a rich roadie cat who "doesn't have time to ride it anymore"...

Then off to Dave's with my stand and tools to adjust the Ride 9 from slackest to steepest which is still a very slack 66.2, seriously considering an angle set for the Bronson which runs 68 stock. It took a little longer than the dude in the video took, I think would have benefited from taking the wheel off first but got there in the end, tricky to align after you remove all the bits.

Then I removed these silly bars and replaced with some nice lo-rise ones 100mm wider and 30mm shorter stem from @Shredden for a friend who didn't get a chance to ride on the weekend but said it felt heaps better just sitting on the bike.

We went out Sunday for Dave's second go on the fresh RM, we did Double Dissolution twice, stopping on the first go to show him some lines and tips and he took 9 seconds off his previous best time on the second non-stop run. Just seeing him romp through roots and rough corners compared to the old XC rig is very satisfying. He said it was a big difference to uphill riding after the geo adjustment. David Blucher (Talentspotter) was out again and got some sensational pics. He and Dave have many friends in common as Dave is an ex-military photographer, had a good chat. I was smiles for miles as you can see below :)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
@ozzybmx had a good day out too :)
Great event and awesome result at 6th overall @Cardy George

I rode 5th in line with 4 of your local guys, 3 of which were in my category for the first lap and a half, those blokes know every inch of that track and carry so much speed in the corners, I'm up out of the saddle closing a 4-5m gap after every corner.
All with camelbaks on too, laughing at me trying to drink and eat... "Mate that's the worst place on the track you could have picked to smash a gel down"

I went out with the aim of doing 7 laps and got a bonus goldie in the 45-54 cat. My boys got 3rd and 4th in the under 17's which was awesome !

Last edited:

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did order some Sun Ringle Duroc 35 wheels for my Dartmoor Primal, so the young bloke can have go. About $400 for the pair, not bad. Better get some tyres and an Eagle cassette and another seat cos I don’t like the one on it now. Geez that escalated quickly to about a grand !

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
"Mate that's the worst place on the track you could have picked to smash a gel down"
I'm still trying to work that one out. The 'straights' are long, but not long quite long enough. Best i can do is a pocket full of lollies.

Great to see your boys had a great day too :)