What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
went & rode macedon this morning before the big storm hits; nb: they have put signs about road closure/do not enter on every fire rd entry & track..,maybe logging will finally starting the near future [been 3 yrs since sign first went up] a new metal gate to the main rd in has been added, had a road closure sign, but gate was open

the 170mm cranks i swapped on really helped with the flat pedal strikes, 5mm does make a difference

the trails up there are being cut to shreds, braking bumps everywhere, riders are just cutting their own lines in, short cutting some corners, some of the off camber bends are being cut up -so too many big tyres not holding onto the ride line & rolling off the edge,

the humidity nearly killed me, 59min riding, 490vert & just shy of 12kms: was exhausted

this was the first time kitted up with both elbow/knee/hydration pack..hope to get to the french alp later in yr for some hike-a-bike up a big mount, then ride down, wasn’t too uncomfortable—but was dripping in sweat

4 cars were left at the start of the trails, i didn’t see 1 rider, didn’t hear people shuttling....unusual.

Jpez

Down on the left!
went & rode macedon this morning before the big storm hits; nb: they have put signs about road closure/do not enter on every fire rd entry & track..,maybe logging will finally starting the near future [been 3 yrs since sign first went up] a new metal gate to the main rd in has been added, had a road closure sign, but gate was open

the 170mm cranks i swapped on really helped with the flat pedal strikes, 5mm does make a difference

the trails up there are being cut to shreds, braking bumps everywhere, riders are just cutting their own lines in, short cutting some corners, some of the off camber bends are being cut up -so too many big tyres not holding onto the ride line & rolling off the edge,

the humidity nearly killed me, 59min riding, 490vert & just shy of 12kms: was exhausted

this was the first time kitted up with both elbow/knee/hydration pack..hope to get to the french alp later in yr for some hike-a-bike up a big mount, then ride down, wasn’t too uncomfortable—but was dripping in sweat

4 cars were left at the start of the trails, i didn’t see 1 rider, didn’t hear people shuttling....unusual.
Are you referring to the downhill trails up Baringo road?
Was hoping to get up there tomorrow but that doesn’t look likely now with these storms.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Continued the Ripmo build.

Polished the lock on grip bits, fitted brakes & dropper post cabling. Top-down Dougie special rear bleed was super mega easy.

And continued on the GX 11spd non-Boost crank polishing, these were ratty & black:

Not perfect but will make them so if they suit...not much choice for polished cranks these days!

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Caught a break between the rain to get a couple laps in & give the shockwiz a go. Fork was pretty much spot on already, though is asking for less high/low speed compression damping which confirmed my suspicions - can't do anything about that without reshimming damper or changing to RC2.

Edit: Also decided I don't much like the 29x2.6 DHF.

Attachments

Last edited:

nathanm

Eats Squid
Bought yet another bunch of parts to convert the girlfriends anthem to 1x11 after I wasn't happy with the first lot I bought.

With the spare parts I've semi-decided to now convert the stumpy from 1x9 to 1x11 which will give me a little better climbing ability

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
And continued on the GX 11spd non-Boost crank polishing, these were ratty & black:

Not perfect but will make them so if they suit...not much choice for polished cranks these days!
just paint stripper? i had presumed they were anodised, i’d love some silver polished 104bcd cranks for my cross bike

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
why? heavy/slow
Yeah, that's a factor - also finding the grip doesn't seem overly fantastic for the weight, and seems a little inconsistent when leaning over. Maybe it's just me, but I found I trusted the 2.5 DHF or Aggressor more on the front. Mostly very loose over hardpack lately, it's probably just overkill.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Yeah, that's a factor - also finding the grip doesn't seem overly fantastic for the weight, and seems a little inconsistent when leaning over. Maybe it's just me, but I found I trusted the 2.5 DHF or Aggressor more on the front. Mostly very loose over hardpack lately, it's probably just overkill.
I find the gap to the edge knobs too big on the bigger DHF sizes. Good on a corner you know but horrible on unknown trails or slight offcamber.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
DHF 2.6 need a very wide rim IMO. Something 40mm+ internal width ideally. 2.5's are better on 35mm internal as the tyre doesn't try to roll around the rim as much.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Did the 6 month overdue 200hr service and Debonaired the SIDs while I was at it.

Not sure if it's the spring that's improved them or just the long overdue Full Monty service, but they sure feel nice up and down my country driveway. They'll need some trail tuning, it used to take a minimum of 65psi to get full extension, now it's 100psi. I'll see how much travel I use this week and go from there.

Nearly ended up in the F-wit thread. Thought I had to stop the damper spinning in the leg to get it out. Managed to unscrew the top cap off the shaft and splashed damper oil everywhere. As far as I can tell all I've done is disconnect the lockout, but I never used that anyway.