What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Granite sand and well ridden granite rock seems to be their happy place (dusty rocks are a different story though!). They are pretty slippery (but quite fun if you're not chasing outright speed) on hard clay in my limited experience. I'm totally biased though, they're my favourite rear tyre by a mile. :)
Yeah, certainly suits my riding conditions too. Although I am enjoying the Bontrager SE3 I'm running on the rear. Good grip and rolling speed. But the sidewalls aren't up to the EXO Aggressor sidewalls. I pinched it on Sunday and had to tube it sadly. Felt it hit the rim. 25psi on 30mm internal rim running tubeless. The aggressor wouldn't have felt it.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Did
More time on the new Good Year Newtons, rode some dry loose over hard yesterday at Aireys Inlet, but today I had to get a taste of the pines at Macedon, despite the logging theres still fun to be had . Bit damp but good fun and the tyres hook up well.
View attachment 360887
Looks like not the usual distillery creek loop, did you head out the back to the dh stuff?

tobbogonist

a registered member
A loud crack in the distance, I look up, another kangaroo perhaps? Not this time, the silhouette of man flickers through the trees, a glorious man atop of a glorious bike, sun shining, rays bouncing off his forhead, a freehub burrs and as soon as he arrived, he was gone.

I never see anyone on my local trail. It was like that moment at the end of Fantastic Mr Fox when they see a real wolf.
I set off with renewed vigour, washed out on a corner and hugged the barked off a tree.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Took the bronson for a run after #1 rode it and complained about the brakes. Yep hopelessly contaminated. It was sitting in the shed for a few months while I rode the cannondale instead. Mixture of general miasma and probably aerial wd40 excess from spraying the lathe and mill. Cooked the pads, slathered brakecleen on everything. Hopefully ok until new pads arrive. Bugger - dont store the bikes next to the lathe.

Edit: bronson is all good again, quiet brakes that work. Did notice the difference between the oval 32/40 gearing on 650b wheels compared to oval 34/40 on the 29er. Shit did i notice the difference on my much hated big hill.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Took the bronson for a run after #1 rode it and complained about the brakes. Yep hopelessly contaminated. It was sitting in the shed for a few months while I rode the cannondale instead. Mixture of general miasma and probably aerial wd40 excess from spraying the lathe and mill. Cooked the pads, slathered brakecleen on everything. Hopefully ok until new pads arrive. Bugger - dont store the bikes next to the lathe.

Edit: bronson is all good again, quiet brakes that work. Did notice the difference between the oval 32/40 gearing on 650b wheels compared to oval 34/40 on the 29er. Shit did i notice the difference on my much hated big hill.
Silicone spray is a prick, I only need to spray it in the same room as the bikes and I end up with a brake noise.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
WfB today (Working from Beach) so, Sue and I snuck out for a lunchtime ride. Hit up the Red Hill bike park, being a weekday, sessioning endure bros would be at a minimum. It’s our first ride there this summer. It was good fun, but gee it’s getting knarley. Even Pine Climb has got tougher. The middle super rooty bit, I had two goes at it, but failed miserably both times, so walked it. On the really rooted switchbacks, I dabbed heaps. Last year I could ride the whole thing, but I aint getting younger either. It sure is getting a lot of traffic these days and even Wombat is getting out there. Still, it was nice out and we only saw one rider, from Argentinia, who was on a Kona Process, so we bonded. Anyway, back to the coal face.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
A loud crack in the distance, I look up, another kangaroo perhaps? Not this time, the silhouette of man flickers through the trees, a glorious man atop of a glorious bike, sun shining, rays bouncing off his forhead, a freehub burrs and as soon as he arrived, he was gone.

I never see anyone on my local trail. It was like that moment at the end of Fantastic Mr Fox when they see a real wolf.
did you raise your paw & yell “Homo sapien”

Jpez

Down on the left!
Since I’m out of work because of these strange times I thought I’d go urban exploring on the Eccentric.
Followed the Kororoit creek trail until I hit a closed section because of the new freeway works.
Tried to take a short cut across a knee deep field of native grasses to get around it until I realised crossing a field of knee deep grass on a hot day is a really dumb thing to do.
luckily I didn’t find any snakes

Further up the trail on a shared path I get a flat. Struggled for a while trying to plug it before I gave in and ripped off the tire and insert and chuck a tube in.
Unbelievably 2 maybe three roadies blew past and not one asked if I needed a hand.

So three things i learned today.

It’s pretty dumb to walk across an overgrown grassy field on a hot day.

Roadies have no camaraderie and can eat a bag of dicks.

And a 150mm aggro hardtail with 2.5 minions is not the best bike to do a 40k bike path ride.

but all in all was awesome to get out and pedal.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Took the roadie out since the local is up to my knees in long grass now. I have grumbled to the folks that maintain it but that is another story.

It was pretty warm out there today. Was at a decent clip down a hill with a blind corner and saw a black snake right across the path getting bothered by a noisey miner - those guys don't care what they harass. Grabbed a handful of brake and pulled up about 2 metres away. Mr Snake saw me and quietly moved on into the undergrowth.

Flat spotted the rear tyre a bit with my d00dworth braking skillz. In a extreme move of super tightarsedness, even by my low standards, I put a sticky Specialized patch over it to even it up the thin flat spot again. Hey, it is a pretty new tyre and you can't feel a eggular bump so call it winning.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Took the roadie out since the local is up to my knees in long grass now. I have grumbled to the folks that maintain it but that is another story.

It was pretty warm out there today. Was at a decent clip down a hill with a blind corner and saw a black snake right across the path getting bothered by a noisey miner - those guys don't care what they harass. Grabbed a handful of brake and pulled up about 2 metres away. Mr Snake saw me and quietly moved on into the undergrowth.

Flat spotted the rear tyre a bit with my d00dworth braking skillz. In a extreme move of super tightarsedness, even by my low standards, I put a sticky Specialized patch over it to even it up the thin flat spot again. Hey, it is a pretty new tyre and you can't feel a eggular bump so call it winning.
So good. If it works, it works!

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't

And a 150mm aggro hardtail with 2.5 minions is not the best bike to do a 40k bike path ride.

but all in all was awesome to get out and pedal.
how’d you flat on a bike path?

roadies couldn’t have helped, useless at changing a tyre, likely to get hands dirty so no way they’re stopping, besides the pumps they carry are likely req’d for 400-500 efforts get your tyre up, i’d have collapsed from exhaustion...you need a real hard core wanker to b able to blow up a mtb tyre with a weight weenie road pump

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Errr, lowered my own bar. Not a good trend sir..........
Yeah, I know the feeling, mate. I rode a road bike today too. :p
From memory, apart from a quick up and down the street on a racer that belonged to Eddie Salas when I was 16, I've never actually ridden one before. Not properly anyway. Not that this is in any way, shape, of form a racer. 3 speed hub is a cracker, now I've managed to tune it.
Skinny tyres are interesting. 45 psi and clunk clunk every time I hit the 20 mm lip in the curb crossing streets on the bike path.
Balls of my feet positioned behind the bloody pedal axle, and my toes hit the front tyre when turning at coasting speed o_O dafuq?
I put 670 or 680 mm MTB bars on it, because the 540's that were on it scare me, and after an hour of riding the heels of my palms feel like they've been hit with hammers .....
Fast, smooth, fun for a while .... nah, fuck road bikes, seriously ....

Jpez

Down on the left!
how’d you flat on a bike path?

roadies couldn’t have helped, useless at changing a tyre, likely to get hands dirty so no way they’re stopping, besides the pumps they carry are likely req’d for 400-500 efforts get your tyre up, i’d have collapsed from exhaustion...you need a real hard core wanker to b able to blow up a mtb tyre with a weight weenie road pump
An old bacon strip failed. Actually it was 3 bacon strips jammed into a big hole which I never got around to fixing so really I failed.

As for the roadies no they couldn’t have helped and nor would I expect them to but out in the hills if I’m stopped on the side of the trail to even scratch my nuts sure enough a passing MTBer will at least sing out a quick “you ok bloke?”

So I dunno maybe it’s the etiquette on bike paths but if I see someone with their bike in pieces I’ll at least ask them if they need anything.

In their defence though they were probably scared off by all the white goop averywhere. :D