What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Since I’m out of work because of these strange times I thought I’d go urban exploring on the Eccentric.
if you get bored sitting at home, im heading down to ride those shitty tracks lachy seems to like all of a sudden on friday morning.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Yeah, I know the feeling, mate. I rode a road bike today too. :p
From memory, apart from a quick up and down the street on a racer that belonged to Eddie Salas when I was 16, I've never actually ridden one before. Not properly anyway. Not that this is in any way, shape, of form a racer. 3 speed hub is a cracker, now I've managed to tune it.
Skinny tyres are interesting. 45 psi and clunk clunk every time I hit the 20 mm lip in the curb crossing streets on the bike path.
Balls of my feet positioned behind the bloody pedal axle, and my toes hit the front tyre when turning at coasting speed o_O dafuq?
I have been thinking of messing around with one of those Sturmy Archer 3 speed hubs for the SS just to see how it goes. Not a big enough reason to bother with it yet. Although, if you have a 3 speed IGH then your roadie is more of a commuter bikes than roadie IMHO.

I put 670 or 680 mm MTB bars on it, because the 540's that were on it scare me, and after an hour of riding the heels of my palms feel like they've been hit with hammers .....
Fast, smooth, fun for a while .... nah, fuck road bikes, seriously ....
I put slicks on my GT and used to chase the roadies on the M7 and there were a few guys that I used to annoy. There is no way a 46/11 26" will keep up with a 53/11 700c when the hammer is put down. One of my riding buddies, and ex RB'er, said ' Just get a roadie' and we put together a cheapy. They will never be as much fun as MTB but I do enjoy the speed and how much easier it is to get up to a decent clip. I think roadie definitely helps your MTB and gives a better overall fitness and endurance. Road has its own hardness.

I don't mind a road bike ride and find that I now do a bit of both MTB and road. When I get bored with one then I have the other. If I had the skillz for trials riding or skatepark stuff then that would be a good alternative though.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
New bars, new grips and new air shaft in the pike increasing it to 150mm. Need to take it for a test ride (likely not until the weekend) to make sure that I haven't stuffed the fork up.
Was a good excuse to do a lower leg service as well, although a misplaced bucket meant oil went everywhere :(

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
New bars, new grips and new air shaft in the pike increasing it to 150mm. Need to take it for a test ride (likely not until the weekend) to make sure that I haven't stuffed the fork up.
Was a good excuse to do a lower leg service as well, although a misplaced bucket meant oil went everywhere :(
It's pretty much impossible to put bucket in right spot.....

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Looking pretty sharp. Much more style than a new soulless CF bike.

Has the hub given you any problems?
It was a bit of a pita to tune it, but only because I'd twisted the little chain on the hub. Once I sorted that it was easy. Only ridden for the hour yesterday, but I did a lot more gear changes than I needed to give it a workout. Seems fine. It's a nice clean change, no clunk or skip. The guy I bought it from used it as a commuter for 2 years. Only 5 km each way, or less, but it would have a few thousand km on it I reckon.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
The SA 3 speeders sound like the only ones that works reliably and are easy enough to pull apart and put back together.

If anyhow has an unloved 26" SA hubbed rear wheel then I would be tempted to give it a go.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Looking pretty sharp. Much more style than a new soulless CF bike.

Has the hub given you any problems?
Chappelli 3 speeds have been designed for the discerning rider with distinctive yet understated style and nothing but premium quality components
:p I should keep it just for the hipster cred.

My one is a 2016 or '17 'Vintage 3 speed'.

They're clearing some 3 spd models for $509 at the moment. https://www.chappelli.com/product-category/shop/three-speeds-bicycles/

David2406

Blueeeeeeeey's on!
Had my new bike on my new rear mounted carrier today. Went around a round about and looked back in horror as my bike started to fall. Managed to pull over and thankfully no damage. The ratchet lock is ratshit and somehow bounced off after I checked it was tight. Need to get some extra ties now. Thought it was supposed to be safe as it was :mad:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I successfully repaired the stripped thread in carbon sram cranks. These are cranks I received from #Fatboyonabike

Using a mates Unior pedal thread tap kit. The thread was stripped in the aluminium portion of the crank, but the aluminium insert was still solid in the crank arm.

I wrapped the crank in rope before clamping in a vice.

Photo shows the “Recoil” insert not all the way home yet, I will install and loctite in.

Yes, you have to really work hard to cut new threads, so hard the integrity of the crank is put to the test.

Last edited:

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Took the updated Django for a spin through Lysterfield to test the new air shaft this morning. All seems good (nothing leaked or exploded anyway) and the new PNW grips feel really nice. Nukeproof carbon bar doesn't feel that much different to the alloy one that I had on there, but it looks cool!

Perfect morning for riding and I wasn't the only one who thought so. Carpark was 3/4 full at 0730 and by 1000 people were having to park up the hill at the water tank (800m from trailhead). Lots of groups out riding together and runners also in close proximity with each other. Cafes seemed to be doing a roaring takeaway trade based on observations during the drive home. Social distancing my arse.....

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Got out for a relaxed loop of Cotter Pines. 7am and it was very quiet, we were the only riders. Unfortunately rode a bunch of it backwards but that was good because it's very tight on the climbs so pace was low #senditsurfacemail

indica

Serial flasher
New tyre yesterday, ride today. Was raining this morning so made me sad, almost canned the ride and did something else.

Ride was AWESOME.... Sun came out to play....

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Turns out the partners giant talon 27.5 fits like a dream on this 05 frame, get a bigger fork and shock she will have a good little squisher to play on the pump track with!

Attachments