What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
How long or what distance are you hoping to get out of a chain before a re-cook ?
From what I've researched, somewhere between 200-300kms for optimum chain life.

But I'll play it by ear (literally) once it gets a bit noisy, or shifting starts shitting itself.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Had a fair old read up on chain waxing to start with, and found some people just use paraffin wax, others a mix of paraffin and beeswax, or there is of course the branded waxes.

I just found someone getting rid of 1.5kg of pure paraffin wax so have started with just that initially.
That's all I use, and its lasted a good 18 months.
From what I've researched, somewhere between 200-300kms for optimum chain life.

But I'll play it by ear (literally) once it gets a bit noisy, or shifting starts shitting itself.
You'll be good for at least 200, less if it rains though.

With the quicklinks, I run multiple chains, and swap weekly, so it's somewhere around 13 openings a year, never had a link fail

What do you use to clean them? I use Turps, couple shakes then an over night soak, and a few rinses in Metho to get rid of any oil residue

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
That's all I use, and its lasted a good 18 months.

You'll be good for at least 200, less if it rains though.

With the quicklinks, I run multiple chains, and swap weekly, so it's somewhere around 13 openings a year, never had a link fail

What do you use to clean them? I use Turps, couple shakes then an over night soak, and a few rinses in Metho to get rid of any oil residue
Yeah I was thinking at least 200k's.

I just used metho in a small container with the chain. Gave it a good shake every 5-10mins whilst I was at work for the day.

greendream

Likes Bikes
Had my first tubeless puncture on the weekend and a good one it was . Once I removed the offending "splinter" the sealant was unable to cope with the size of hole left behind so off i go to the LBS to buy myself a plug kit. I found the remainder of the splinter in the tyre, heavens know how long I was riding around with it.

So before I leave I think I'll check my chain stretch to find that 0.75 is now fitting therefore a new chain as well. And the fun didn't end there, whilst in the shop I check out the sexy helmets that happen to be on sale and find one with my name on it (Met Roam mips).

Cardy George

These bad boys finally arrived.

They'll go on the Procaliber, which will donate the m8000 levers to the Turner, which will donate it's SLX levers to Middle Brother's Marlin, which will also receive the Procaliber's old 2-pot calipers when I get hold of some brake hose.

Then I sit back with a camera and wait for Middle Brother to go OTB

ausdb

Being who he is
Had a crack at cooking my chain in wax yesterday. Rode You Yangs today.
Dammit another thing I can't throw away, had a tidy up in the kitchen last week and had put one of those cheapy fryers out to get chucked next bin day. Looks like it's going in the shed now.
I must admit that squirt is my go to at the moment especially with kids bikes that get put in the back of the car.

Getting a bit OT is anyone using an ultrasonic cleaner to clean chains or is that too anal?

Cardy George

Had a crack at cooking my chain in wax yesterday. Rode You Yangs today.

I think this chain waxing business might just be worth it.

Dammit another thing I can't throw away, had a tidy up in the kitchen last week and had put one of those cheapy fryers out to get chucked next bin day. Looks like it's going in the shed now.
I must admit that squirt is my go to at the moment especially with kids bikes that get put in the back of the car.

Getting a bit OT is anyone using an ultrasonic cleaner to clean chains or is that too anal?
Putting my sensible hat on for a second.

Be careful using a fryer. Paraffin has a relatively low flame point, around 200⁰, which is easily achieved in a fryer.

You'll be much safer with a slow cooker or rice cooker.

@ausdb the ol soak'n'shake works fine for me

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland

Be careful using a fryer. Paraffin has a relatively low flame point, around 200⁰, which is easily achieved in a fryer.

Yes very true. The lowest setting on the fryer is 150 degrees C, but it has a warming function so even with the temp dial only a 1/4 of the way to 150 it turns on.

I definitely do not turn it on and go to the shops either.

ausdb

Being who he is

Yes I was thinking about it a little more and remembered back in the days of motor bike chains and the tin of wax you used to put on the stove and had to make sure you didn't walk away and forget about it! :eek: (can't remember what brand it was)

Which got me thinking to have a smaller container of wax and use the fryer as a double boiler, which would also save wax as well. I'll have a look at my fryer and see what the lowest setting is but otherwise if needs be I could rig up an external temp controller.

Regarding the soak and shake BITD (8sp) I used to use the Sachs chains with the splittable link, a 600ml water bottle half full of kero and feed the chain in then give it a good shaking every so often. Used an old spoke as a hook to fish it out at the end and then hung up to dry, back on bike and relube. Leave the bottle sitting for a few days so the crap settles out, decant off the kero into another bottle. And of course dispose of the bottle in an environmentally sensitive manner

Cardy George

Yes I was thinking about it a little more and remembered back in the days of motor bike chains and the tin of wax you used to put on the stove and had to make sure you didn't walk away and forget about it! :eek: (can't remember what brand it was)

Which got me thinking to have a smaller container of wax and use the fryer as a double boiler, which would also save wax as well. I'll have a look at my fryer and see what the lowest setting is but otherwise if needs be I could rig up an external temp controller.

Regarding the soak and shake BITD (8sp) I used to use the Sachs chains with the splittable link, a 600ml water bottle half full of kero and feed the chain in then give it a good shaking every so often. Used an old spoke as a hook to fish it out at the end and then hung up to dry, back on bike and relube. Leave the bottle sitting for a few days so the crap settles out, decant off the kero into another bottle. And of course dispose of the bottle in an environmentally sensitive manner
Double boiler is what I started with. Bit messy but it did the job until I knew it was worth it, then I upgraded to a rice cooker.

I found kero leaves a film of oil that the wax won't stick to, the metho leaves the metal totally raw and the wax sticks like the proverbial