What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Inaugural ride on the AliEx-special 155mm cranks tonight. Told myself I would take it easy as I'm 100% sure I can see torsional flex when I push down on the pedals with the front wheel up against the wall.

Rode 22km like I would usually ride, jumps (not big), g-outs, rock gardens etc. and surprisingly I still have two perfectly functional ankles.

Compress_20240119_212444_4728.jpg

cammas

Seamstress
Not my bike but my nephews, he was having trouble finding the leak in his rear tyre, so they asked me to take a look. Found a little leak on the rim/inner side of the tube, no doubt him and his mate were only looking at where the tube is in contact with tyre as they had tried numerous times to find it.Anyway couldn’t be bothered patching it, as I don’t know where my patch kit so grabbed a tube from his other bike, which my lovely sister in law decided to leave here when I told her his rims were on the way out after he wore the rim brake pads so low they ate at the rims past the wear line:rolleyes:. Pumping the tyre back up then it decided to pop off the rim and have a haemorrhoid, scared the crap out of me and I was waiting for it to pop so I deflated it, put the tyre back on and this time it decided to stay put, it only had about 28psi in it when this happened, luckily I didn’t fire up the compressor as it may have been a little louder.

IMG_8626.jpeg

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Went for a ride with a friend at Woowookarung.
A few tracks have been shut for revegetation and to reduce plant disease transmission. But some of the tracks have had some new features added.
1000011139.jpg

1000011140.jpg

Also found this haunted house vibe place.
1000011141.jpg

The youngest canary learnt how to ride a pedal bike last week.
1000011144.jpg

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Had a niggling elbow injury the last couple weeks so haven't been riding as much as I'd like to (Golfers Elbow according to Dr.Google)... Having had it flare up before I knew what it was straight away and didn't ignore it this time so gave it a bit of a rest.. thought I'd give it a test this week with 25k 700vm on the little bike yesterday and 20k 1000vm on the big bike today and all systems are go.
PSX_20240121_151512.jpg

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Left it in the garage..... Tough day on the water yesterday, with a fill-in crew who's about 20kg lighter than my regular, which made me work a lot harder, so today was a rest & recovery day. Also with Worlds now only a few weeks away, I'm not keen on risking getting any new injuries on top of the existing shit that's already making things tough....

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Left it in the garage..... Tough day on the water yesterday, with a fill-in crew who's about 20kg lighter than my regular, which made me work a lot harder, so today was a rest & recovery day. Also with Worlds now only a few weeks away, I'm not keen on risking getting any new injuries on top of the existing shit that's already making things tough....
Lightweight crew for light winds, heavyset crew for the howlers. Something tells me you're going to have an ace up your sleeve for worlds.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Lightweight crew for light winds, heavyset crew for the howlers. Something tells me you're going to have an ace up your sleeve for worlds.
I wish!

Can't change crew during the regatta unless approved by the race committee; usually due to an injury or similar that prevents them sailing, and once they've been subbed out can't be subbed back in.

Just to twist things up, neither the semi-regular crew I've had this season nor yesterday's sub will be my Worlds crew.... That honour goes to the mate I originally started sailing this boat with and whose idea it was to do this regatta in the first place nearly six years ago. He pulled up anchor & moved to Tassie for work at the start of 2021, so we haven't sailed together for three years - we'll have two days training to dial ourselves back in together before the racing starts!

Last edited:

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
after a bit of playing around, going to do the superglue/graphite/sodium bicarb trick... seems to set well and quite hard
just to finish this up..
Superglue + bicarb sets quickly where it touches (almost instant).. but no working time, can leave liquid CA underneath, and ends up a bit brittle and easily damaged. Not a very good solution. (ie, shit)

Ground up pencil led (maybe H or 2H?) by itself with superglue worked muuuch better.
A short but workable life (10-20s?) so you can quickly mix and apply, shaved easily with razor blade soon after set to have smooth surface on stanchion, and hardens up very nicely all the way through.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Had a flat tyre on the rejuvenated Stumpy, so bit the bullet and re-converted it back to tubeless. When I got the Process, the Stumpy sat around for so long with flat tyres, that I put tubes in it, just so I could at least roll it around the shed.

Anyway the rear one was easy, but phark the front was a nightmare. Just getting the tyre/tube off the rim was a mammoth effort. The tube had welded itself to the tyre, with ancient Stans being the glue. I ended up taking the tube/tyre off as one. Then Sue and I worked as a team to separate the tube from the tyre. I used a long bit of wood anchored on the ground to hold the tyre, while Sue used everything she had to pull downward and separate them. Anyway, we prevailed.

Put new tape and tubeless valve stems on both rims and fired up the compressor. They are still holding air, so should be right.

ausdb

Being who he is
I haven't posted here in a while, but have managed a few bike things lately. I realised I had the solution to my quest for a cheap XD to HG conversion sitting in the junk pile that is my shed. My wife's bike that she never rides had a Hope Pro 4 with a HG freehub and the Crest rim it is laced in, is starting to crack at the spoke holes. She's not going to miss it any time soon so whilst the Hallion was at sport instead of sitting in the cafe watching I unlaced both wheels in the carpark. I just need to shorten half of the spokes from the Hope wheel and get new nipples and I can rebuild my wheel.
PXL_20240120_031216393.jpg

PXL_20240120_035557811.jpg
Then in the afternoon I changed the derailleur hanger and rear derailleur on my friends bike after her son (Hallions mate the bike smasher) had put the derailleur into the back wheel for her.

Today the Hallion and I started to bolt some more bits onto his Spitty so he can ride it before he grows out of it. Changed the stem to a slightly longer one, taught him how to use tube cutters to shorten his bars a bit. Drive train time, started to put a new BB in. Drive side goes in Ok by hand, non drive gets a few turns in and goes tight. Take it out and have a look, bugger... Hallion cracked the shits and took off on his other bike, won't talk to me for rest of the afternoon and hates me more than normal. Fingers crossed I can get the threads chased and save it. I should have had a better look before I started, as I think it's had a hard life before me.
PXL_20240121_101450653sml.jpg
Then to top things off I wrestled a downhill casing minion off a DT Swiss rim for half an hour to turn it the right way round. The upside of that was I found a hole in the tubeless tape before I filled the tyre with sealant. Downside I don't think I've got any of the right size tubeless tape and I've already placed an Ali order. Oh well that's bikes for you.

Last edited:

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Fitted a new drivetrain to Ex-VC's Marlin. He broke his chain while we were away. A 12sp quick link in a 10sp chain will get you out of trouble, in case you were wondering. It was a bit tight but it made it back to camp. I realised just how worn out evening was while trying to get it back together.

While I was in the shed playing with bikes I figured I should decontaminate my rear pads. They still had plenty of bite, just squawked at really low speeds. So out they came, and on to the BBQ. I'll just flush the dirt out of the caliper. Pads cool enough, in they go. I'll just top up the levers.

This is where I should probably cut to the COTF thread. Instead of securing the front wheel properly and moving the levers, I just propped it up high enough for the levers to be level. Screwed the half full bleed cup in, after dropping the plug (it's still on the shed floor somewhere) turned to get something off the bench and the front wheel had flopped over spilling oil down the front wheel. By some miracle nothing has gone on my front brake, or on the disc of Little Sender's front wheel that was sitting under it. I drowned everything in bike wash and now I have an unplanned clean bike.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Sell 'email and buy Onyx Vespers. You'll love them!
Nah, i change them it will be for a low engagement hub. I already get some occasional suspension kickback through the pedals on the Orange with whatever no name hubs are in it now...