What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Went to H2O to become reacquainted with the Prime.

H2O is an xc track, no real hill climbs, a windy pedally, a little bit techy at times track. Some jumps and some berms, I really like the track for just fast pedalling winding between trees fun.

Had a ball, came back with all my teef!!!

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Rode it first time as a 27.5 at the Yewies, cracking day. Can't say I noticed any real difference, aside from no pedal strikes (and I had put the nuetral chips in, replacing the slack).

Was an ace day riding with a few burners, @moorey, @teK--, cheers.

P.S. and @Hipstar , sorry.

Last edited:

slowmick

38-39"
I went for a ride. Don't remember the last time i went out. My local hill went from an hour climb to well over 2 hours with 5 stops. Great day to be out. Especially in May.

LTIH - 2 x 10 gears with 3 x 9 fitness

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Back from the centre, yesterday we rode wet and slimy Silvan, but today was back to dry knarly rockiness on the Goldfields trail near Castlemaine. Very nice.

Hipstar

Likes Dirt
Hit the yewies with some other people (well one is, other is a kind of unknown)

Ripper day and got a shitload quicker on cressy. Mondraker cracked the sads with a loose headset again after 4 runs, lucky I took the spitty just in case. Way faster on it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Nice

Something I'm going to have a crack at one of these days. Then I can say goodbye to bike shops once and for all
Until you realise it took you 5 hours and that someone who does it full time will do it better than you.

I've built a few wheelsets but the reailty is that I prefer to use that time with the family and just do the odd true now.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've gone down the rabbit hole before reading books, trawling forms and watching videos on building wheels. I'm going to imagine the first set will take me a good long while. My frustration comes from my local shop taking 2 months to build my wheels and then when I got them back the spoke tension was super low, to the point where if I grabbed both sides I could almost make them touch. Some didn't even make a dull "ping" to the pluck. I tightened them myself, rode it hard then went over it again and I've just got them true and evenly tensioned by feel. If I was smart I would've just taken them right back but I'm just sick of dealing with them.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I've gone down the rabbit hole before reading books, trawling forms and watching videos on building wheels. I'm going to imagine the first set will take me a good long while. My frustration comes from my local shop taking 2 months to build my wheels and then when I got them back the spoke tension was super low, to the point where if I grabbed both sides I could almost make them touch. Some didn't even make a dull "ping" to the pluck. I tightened them myself, rode it hard then went over it again and I've just got them true and evenly tensioned by feel. If I was smart I would've just taken them right back but I'm just sick of dealing with them.
Just do it! Time isn't really an issue and if you read Roger Musson's book, like @teK-- suggested, you will understand exactly what you're doing and why.

Best to just go down that road, stick to one philosophy as there are many in wheel building. Too much research can be very confusing.

When you want to do the deed, https://www.customcutspokes.co.uk are great for spokes and nipples. I got 70 Sapim Race spokes including brass nipples, shipped, for about $95.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree. Just do it.
It is a lot easier than it seems and as long as you have a few hours spare it is super rewarding.

I built my first set not long ago and abused the hell out of them not long after and they have held up perfectly well.

A shop that is on time constraints will usually do the best job possible, in the time they have available, which is not necessarily any better, or as good, as you will do yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

teK--

Eats Squid
I agree. Just do it.
It is a lot easier than it seems and as long as you have a few hours spare it is super rewarding.

I built my first set not long ago and abused the hell out of them not long after and they have held up perfectly well.

A shop that is on time constraints will usually do the best job possible, in the time they have available, which is not necessarily any better, or as good, as you will do yourself.

Cant agree more. A shop might allow 1-1.5 hour. I once paid a fixed price for a build and they ran into issues so rushed the rest. Ended up with a wheel that was horribly (not) stress relieved. It pinged just by putting the tyre on.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cant agree more. A shop might allow 1-1.5 hour. I once paid a fixed price for a build and they ran into issues so rushed the rest. Ended up with a wheel that was horribly (not) stress relieved. It pinged just by putting the tyre on.
The wheels I built were the first wheels I have had that did not ping at all on their first ride. I was extremely surprised.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for all the links . My next set of wheels will be built by myself. Have already got more wheels then bikes at the moment but that can all be fixed with money .

Cheers!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Build your wheels over a few nights in front of the telly. It's just a repetitive thing, getting the spokes up to mostly tensioned & then it's an hour in the stand at the end to right them just so.

Well that's how I do it...

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Haven't used quality nipples myself, but when I was building cheap wheels for the school's Pedal Prix/HPV (those pedal cars @The Duckmeister races) we used a drill and a flat screw driver bit that was ground down to leave a point in the middle of the tip. When the nipple was screwed down the spoke pushed the driver out of the hole, leaving the spokes with a roughly even tension.

I only ever built front wheels tho, they copped a higher lateral load, so this may or may not work for dished wheels.