What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Discussion in 'General MTB Discussion' started by Minlak, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Zaf

Zaf Gearbox Frother

Around the handlebar where the shifter is.

Yeah but you have 100% more gear range than Eagle with the same amount of gear intervals. You get a larger shift per gear step, and be honest, how often do you find yourself on a gradient reversal that requires massive drops of gears? It's more of a problem for if you're already on a climb and then the gradient gets steeper.

The business end of your crack pipe is hot to the touch!

You can always go with an Effigear if the Pinion shifting methods aren't to your liking.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    beeb likes this.
  2. Oddjob

Oddjob Eats Squid

That's really great feedback, thanks. How on earth did you get a GPI before superfan @Zaf?

If anyone (hint hint) is willing to let me touch their gearbox bike I'm happy to be converted. Although I think I will hold out for a couple of generations of weight loss and a Di2 or more elegant trigger shifting system.

@Zaf, a 10s XT cassette is only going to add 200g tops to the inertia of the rear wheel. That inertia is stored energy, so it's not quite the same as energy loss through friction etc.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

3. Oddjob

Oddjob Eats Squid

"SRAM can eat a bag of dicks." Everyone repeat after me.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

the drizzle, Binaural and Ultra Lord like this.
  4. Zaf

Zaf Gearbox Frother

Yeah, twice as much energy to accelerate.

There are too many variables in mtb'ing to get a clear figure. For me, I got to a point where I accepted I was not limited by my power output on the mtb (that's more of a road thing) and what I wanted was stability and suspension performance that inspires confidence.
    Low central weight and removing unsprung mass is gonna be pretty unrivalled in achieving that.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

No Skid Marks and schred like this.
  5. Binaural

Binaural Likes Bikes and Dirt

You are the very definition of early adopter for innovative drivetrain technologies, salute! I hope you are planning a shaft drive commuter sometime soon :)

6. slider_phil

slider_phil Likes Dirt

Have spent the last 4 days in Bright on holidays. Two days in the snow and two days mountain biking on mystic mountain. Those jumps on the Hero trail are bigger than they look! Top section is pretty blown out at the moment but the last 2/3rds are really fast and flowy. Props to the trail builders for putting in a decent climb up there too so I didn't have to ride a fireroad up each time [​IMG]

7. crank1979

crank1979 Likes Bikes and Dirt

Mine is the Helius AC Pinion. Had it since May, 2013.

No Skid Marks and Zaf like this.
  8. crank1979

That's what I use the Rohloff equipped Cotic Solaris for. I couldn't live with the Rohloff for mtb duties, but it seems perfect for commuting.

I've had Di2 since 7970 Dura Ace, then 9070, but I didn't like the look of the new 9170 so haven't fitted it to the roadie. I've had a lot of trouble with the XT Di2 though. Mostly sorted now.

Binaural and Zaf like this.
  9. The Reverend

The Reverend Likes Dirt

I love Bright and it's among my favourite of locations. How slippery is it now though? I'd have thought in winter it would be greasier than a butcher's shop floor...

10. slider_phil

slider_phil Likes Dirt

Every time I've come to Bright it's always been slippery. Should really come back in summer .

Tuesday was pretty slippery on the lower trails but today was nice and tacky in most sections, unless there was a bit of standing water. The less used trails were covered in pine leaves too which added an extra layer of difficulty.

I have to say, "Up DJ" is a fine example of how to build a fun climb. There's always a roller into a bermed uphill corner to keep momentum up. Always detoured down "Down DJ" and then back up the climb on the way to Hero.

Miguel75 and The Reverend like this.
  11. The Reverend

The Reverend Likes Dirt

I love Up DJ and Down DJ. Great bit of trail and ride that with a smile on my face the whole time.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Miguel75 likes this.
  12. Cardy George

Cardy George Likes Dirt

Do you mind if I ask what?

13. crank1979

Mainly with it losing charge. It seems the front derailleur had to be set absolutely perfectly or it will keep trying to self adjust overnight. Other than that the initial set up by DefCon Cycles was not well done at all. Front and rear derailleur not set properly, cables run badly, Di2 stem not tightened correctly, firmware update not done.

Cardy George likes this.
  14. Ultra Lord

Ultra Lord Eats Squid

Guess your not going back to defcon then huh, bad service sucks, especially on premium gear.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Cardy George likes this.
  15. Elpho

Elpho Squid

Got my bike converted to tubeless today, some new tyres - specialized butcher grid on the front and specialized purgatory grid on the rear, andsome new shimano GR500 alloy flat pedals to replace the stock plastic ones. Only had time to get a quick ride in so far but is a noticeable difference in comfort and control.

16. Psimpson7

Psimpson7 Likes Dirt

Got my Shan up and running. quick 16k off road loop this morning to check nothing fell off! sorry for the utterly crap pic. It was still pretty dark and this was the best my phone could manage!

[​IMG]

17. Jpez

Jpez Likes Dirt

Dont think ANYBODY is going back to Defcon anytime soon!

Zaf likes this.
  18. Ultra Lord

Ultra Lord Eats Squid

*googles defcon*

Well damn

Zaf likes this.
  19. Cardy George

Cardy George Likes Dirt

I did the same..... .

20. Boom King

Boom King Wheel size expert

Some new bits for the Spitty.[​IMG]