What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Flow-Rider

Burner
Weekend - anyone ever come across dud batches of Shimano SP41 cable...? Went through two sections and almost my whole stash of inners chasing stiff and sticky shifting on the GX Eagle... Even dismantled the shifter chasing missing lube or something...

Have some new Jagwire LEX SL coming, hopefully that will restore normal operation.

It’s a cable... How do they get that wrong?
Unless the cable is frayed or birdcaged it will be the outer.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Sorry, I meant the outer... I even grease the inner in case Shimano forgot the lube on this batch. Very odd...

I’ve always used SP41 as the reliable go to cable.
The shimano stuff is usually pretty good but I haven't bought any of late, still got some in stock from years ago.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Weekend - anyone ever come across dud batches of Shimano SP41 cable...? Went through two sections and almost my whole stash of inners chasing stiff and sticky shifting on the GX Eagle... Even dismantled the shifter chasing missing lube or something...

Have some new Jagwire LEX SL coming, hopefully that will restore normal operation.

It’s a cable... How do they get that wrong?
Isn't SP41 the outer pre-lubed with silicon grease? That stuff is the Rolls Royce of cable outers. Are you sure you don't have a kink somewhere?

I've found the Jagwire to be good too.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Isn't SP41 the outer pre-lubed with silicon grease? That stuff is the Rolls Royce of cable outers. Are you sure you don't have a kink somewhere?

I've found the Jagwire to be good too.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
It is, I've always used it. Nope, pulled it out and checked for kinks and reinstalled. Tried a few different inners, added more silicone lube, checked and rechecked the rear mech, stripped and relubed the shifter (its a fiddly fucker to get back together...). In short, a lot of time muckign about because I couldn't quite believe a brand new section of SP41 cable was the cause!

creaky

XMAS Plumper
It is, I've always used it. Nope, pulled it out and checked for kinks and reinstalled. Tried a few different inners, added more silicone lube, checked and rechecked the rear mech, stripped and relubed the shifter (its a fiddly fucker to get back together...). In short, a lot of time muckign about because I couldn't quite believe a brand new section of SP41 cable was the cause!
The only performance issues I've ever had with SP41 is when I was trying to use some of the sram cable lube crap (snot?) a few years back. That stuff was awful. You didn't lube the inner with that kind of grease did you ?

Haakon

The only performance issues I've ever had with SP41 is when I was trying to use some of the sram cable lube crap (snot?) a few years back. That stuff was awful. You didn't lube the inner with that kind of grease did you ?
Nope. Just silicone spray on the inner.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yeah I've dismantled a few MTB shifters & Ultegra Brifters, it's a very time consuming job. Can you feel any sort of resistance when you slide the cable in the outer ? Maybe check the cable ends aren't tight and where you cut the cable isn't slightly crushed. If that looks OK time to try another outer and inner.

Haakon

Yeah I've dismantled a few MTB shifters & Ultegra Brifters, it's a very time consuming job. Can you feel any sort of resistance when you slide the cable in the outer ? Maybe check the cable ends aren't tight and where you cut the cable isn't slightly crushed. If that looks OK time to try another outer and inner.
Resistance not horrible when inserted, but when loaded it jams it appears. Theory will be confirmed or denied when new cable arrives...

Minlak

custom titis
Sigh pulled the smuggler down tonight another 3 bearings seized. It’s shits me so much ..... If they all sieze Ok maybe I didn’t maintain them all right. But just 3 well that’s just shit. I knew I should have just sold it.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fitted two dirt surfer guards that we bought at the Willo. Good bit of kit...

Bought my son his first set of Spd shoes to give them a try.

Rode 15 km around a very dusty Welby.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I still can't understand how they circumvent the cubed weight problem.
You don't think it's built into the price, we, the end user get screwed on the MRSP with the Australia tax and geo blocking they don't care what it costs to ship.

I blame Crank Bros, they started this whole fancy packaging encasing poo.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had my first decent spin on an emtb today. LBS is great and let me take it for a whirl around the local road hills..
These things are ridiculous on turbo, they are a straight up electric motor bike with cranks as the throttle. And as everyone says, yes they are a hell of a lot of fun, just like a moto.. And yes I was grinning.. if I was type of rider that only rides bikes downhill and shuttle then yeah I see the attraction..
I was particularly blown away by the torque it had, so much grunt for such a little engine..
I’m really not sure how I feel about these things now, on the lower settings it kinda felt like a bike but on turbo I reckon there is enough power to justify registering them, esp since speed hacking them is simple..
I’m not trying to start an emtb shit fight at all, just thought I would share my experience considering I wasn’t a fan of them previously..
When I am old and buggered I can see myself riding one, but I am not exactly sure how you could lift it when you are old and buggered?

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Had a blast at Eumeralla yesterday with The Boy. Blew out a week and a half's worth of stress, and I finally cleared that one huge fuck-off climb, bottom to top, without stalling or putting a foot down! I nearly cried. Not sure if it was the happiness, or the oxygen deprivation.

This video was a huge help in conquering the beast. Mo Awesome may dress like a fool, but he knows his shit when it comes to climbing:

mtb1611

Seymour
Didn't nothing strictly to or with the bike today, but definitely did something FOR it. Ride canned due to torrential rain so a few mates and I met up for brekkie to plan next week's Thredbo agenda. Crackenback return shuttle booked, rides sorted! Haven;t ridden at Thredbo yet this century, really looking forward to it.