What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Hesitantly pulled apart my GX Eagle shifter looking for reasons why it shifts like arse - heavy and sticky.

Then overdoing it a bit and spending quite some time working out how all the little springs and esoteric bits go back together... That took longer than it should have!!

Brand new cable is no good I think, shifter is fine.

Last edited:

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rode with my wife at Wingello- her first full no 5. Then registered and picked up race plates for the son and daughter for tomorrow’s Willo...

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Solid 90km today, probably 80% on dirt.

Club had a social ride going, was planning on driving there but Mrs George booked the use of the car. 22km cruise in. 35km group ride, scaring dogs all along the river. 33km solid ride home. I'm working on my long distance average speed so happy with a 23.4kmh average.

The local motorbike shop hosted it and has starting to carry Merida bikes. Picked up a comfy Merida jumper :D

Edit: The jumper is a door prize :D

Last edited:

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Few things on both mine and the wife's xc bikes. I finally got rid of the "over the bar" dropper remote and installed a Wolftooth lever. Action is so crisp and only added a few grams over the KS carbon one.

My wife's Canyon got a few things to help with fit etc. The saddle from her old bike. A Syntace bar and stem combo to bring the bar height down since she's at the limit of a small. A 30t chainring for the XT cranks. Vittoria Barzo and Mezcal tyres for a bit of extra grip and protection over the stock Schwalbes.

Going for a ride with her in the morning and will play with the setup. First race this year for both of us this weekend in Ballarat. First MTB race for my wife ever!

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Rode Silvan for the first, and probably last, time.

I'm not bagging the trails at all; for those who live closer, and get to ride them regularly, I reckon they'd be great. Parts of them look like great fun. But for the amount of driving we had to do to get there, followed by the amount of climbing we had to do to get to the fun part, not really worth the effort for us.

I did have a nice walk down Bottlecaps, interspersed with a few metres of riding here and there. The videos I've seen made it look challenging and fun, and for those who are better riders than I am, I'm sure it's both, but it was way beyond my meagre capabilities. The Boy was able to do better on it than I was, but even he struggled in places.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Fair enough. We’re local and only ride there for a change. Sometimes we’ll take two cars to do the shuttle. Gruyere can be fun too.

slowmick

38-39"
Took my daughter to Lysterfield with the bike and the weeride to look at for Roos and Wallabies.
Started with ooh and aahs which quickly became mummy, mummy mummy on the single track. Stopping to say hello to the wild life calmed her down. Managed to get her to say Weeee a few times on the downhill fire roads.
She seems a little embarrassed with me trying to take a selfie :)

Attachments

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Met a real life burner, in the wild!
Nice to meet you tkdbboy, will have to actually go for a ride at some stage.

Nice footage! Defs down for a ride in the future

Rode Silvan for the first, and probably last, time.

I'm not bagging the trails at all; for those who live closer, and get to ride them regularly, I reckon they'd be great. Parts of them look like great fun. But for the amount of driving we had to do to get there, followed by the amount of climbing we had to do to get to the fun part, not really worth the effort for us.

I did have a nice walk down Bottlecaps, interspersed with a few metres of riding here and there. The videos I've seen made it look challenging and fun, and for those who are better riders than I am, I'm sure it's both, but it was way beyond my meagre capabilities. The Boy was able to do better on it than I was, but even he struggled in places.
I was a bit the same at the start (I'm an avid anti-climber hah) but once you get an idea for where everything is located, you figure out routes where you get some easier climbs in for good descents.

Haakon

Weekend - anyone ever come across dud batches of Shimano SP41 cable...? Went through two sections and almost my whole stash of inners chasing stiff and sticky shifting on the GX Eagle... Even dismantled the shifter chasing missing lube or something...

Have some new Jagwire LEX SL coming, hopefully that will restore normal operation.

It’s a cable... How do they get that wrong?

Last edited:

Haakon

Today - almost ran over by idiot elderly woman in new high end beemer.

Who’s worse - aggro tradies or arrogant rich wankers...?