What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Went for a ride on Tuesday, smacked a rock and Stans sprayed everywhere, smallest hole and surprised it did not seal. Could see the Stans bubbling out but would not seal it.

New tyre on last night and sealed up fine.

Had a few instances where Stans has not sealed small holes so when this bottle is out will try another brand.

golden path

Banned
Fitted my SDG Bel Air and did a 24km ride, some great singletrack and only came off once. :cheer2:

Had a convo with my arse along the way, as we cyclists do, and my arse was much happier to be on the Bel Air as opposed to the Spec Henge.

Hit up a few decent orb weavers over the track tho. :spider:

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
Put a Minion DHR 2.3 on the front and an Ardent 2.25 on the back of my 575.

Test ride with this combo seems positive so far.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rode the kids bikes yesterday to check what sort of condition they were in.

First I rode my Sons bike, Giant Talon 4. I only grabbed half of my bike tool so I didn't have a screwdriver with me and had to listen to the FD rubbing for the whole 15km round trip to the post office. Arrrgh on my bike no FD, bliss. So I need to adjust his gears front and back. His bike also needs a good wash....I should make him do this though.

Then my Daughters bike Liv Tempt 4. Only rode it about 5k's...went to a market garden stall a couple k's down the road. Hers was actually still in good nick, guess it hasn't been ridden as much. Seat felt a bit flexy though...maybe I'm just getting fat :O

Was pretty much my first time riding 27.5" wheels for any length of time. It felt different, more like you're in the bike I suppose (but then again my 26" bike probably just has a different cockpit set up / not as upright position).
It felt more stable, like not as twitchy in steering (running similar short stem set up on all bikes). I certainly noticed that it wasn't as zippy to accelerate. Although I'm thinking some of this would be due to the fact that my own HT is quite light compared to theirs.

On my Daughters bike the fork felt harsher, even though both bikes seem to have the same forks....SR Suntour XCT....Hmmm I see hers appears to have more like 80mm travel and his is 100, that would explain it. Although the specs do say 100mm, interesting. Might have to see if there's a spacer or something that can be removed on hers.

Overall pretty good bikes considering they cost us $550 and $600 respectively. I would love to upgrade some stuff on them, hard to justify when the kids don't ride that much though.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
just ordered some xt 11sp goodness for the scout. 10sp cassette is due for a replacement, may aswell upgrade while I'm replacing stuff.

fun times!

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
What a week for bikes it's been in the X household!

Monday - took The Girl (13 in May) on her first ride on her nice new 27.5 100mm hardtail. She had a good old time, and even managed to ride an obstacle I thought she might balk at. We're going out again tomorrow afternoon.

Wednesday - took The Boy (16 last November) for his first ride on his new Canyon Strive AL 6.0 Race. He loved the hell out of it, except the part where he came off and smashed his rear rotor on a rock. I told him not to break it on his first ride, but do they listen? We ended up taking the rotor off so he could roll back down the trail to the car park. He had another ride at The Hill after school today, and was much more successful in keeping the bike between his arse and the ground.

Today - I took myself for my first ride on my new Norco Sight A7.1. Oboy is this thing going to be fun once I've got it fully tweaked and get some fitness back (been off bikes for two months while visiting my gf in the US)!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Today I got my NS good and dusty! Second ride in about 8 weeks...fitness is pretty low, so I rode like a slug. Still had a rad time.

- New forks (rock shock lyrics) feel awesome. I put the bike to the test with plenty of air time and some sketchy landings...forks saved me a trip to the dentist twice.
- Bike has an annoying creeeeeeaaaaaaakkkkk...seems to be in one of the pivots, let the grease game begin!
- Thomson dropper is awesome.
- I don't know what all the whinging is about? My xt brakes work great and feel snappy! If they can drag my "robust" arse to a halt with such ease I suspect others aren't using them correctly. Get some Hayes!

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Oh, I also got some Five Tens, and put some nice grippy (and shiny!) Straitline pedals on both bikes. Goodbye, pedal slip!

Beej1

Part 1 of rear wheel rebuild. Extracted bearings from hub shell and freehub body. Going to contact DIYMTB about some replacement Enduros on Monday.

Part 2 will be putting it back together with hopefully zero issues. Else part 2 will be something Someone Else does to my bike around Thursday.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Went to the Lake Mountain Super G ride day, was supposed to be a family fun day but not really a family trail. was quite a lot of climbing & technical climbing at that, not really an endure trail, id say pretty much a god Xc course. did 3 runs, just over an hr each, i think me & 1 other guy were the only ones to complete 3 runs, the enduro unfit types did 1

i thought the trail was great, has a bit of everything, solid hard climbing, plus technical down also. definitely not a gravity trail though, each run of just over 10km had about 300m vertical =esp. the first 1/3

all up 45km -3.5 runs, vert gain reported by strava app was 2000, should have been more like 1250 i think

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Stockyards today with The Boy. He stayed on, I wasn't quite so lucky. Came off half way up a tricky (for me) rock climb (the one on track 5 heading away from the Drysdale Rd carpark, for them what know). No damage to new bike or old body, apart from bars/front wheel getting knocked out of alignment, which was easily fixed.

The Boy is loving his new Strive. He literally didn't want to get off it after we were done; he was off practicing jumps and skills while I was moving in slow motion getting my bike ready to pack into the car.

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
All good on the black trails, hit a blue trail and some loose gravel and BOOM, a big low side. Got my arm under my side so no broken ribs but very very very sore. Have a 42km race in a few weeks... Breathing hard hurts currently:yell:

The Heckler was put through its paces with an 80mm stem and climbs quite well, descending wasn't to bad but it is hard to get enough weight back. I don't have a dropper and nutted myself as well today as my shorts caught as I was trying to get off the back of the seat :(

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
The Boy is loving his new Strive. He literally didn't want to get off it after we were done; he was off practicing jumps and skills while I was moving in slow motion getting my bike ready to pack into the car.
That's great... but hey, why wouldn't he... it's a serious bike for a kid... good on you.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Went to the Lake Mountain Super G ride day, was supposed to be a family fun day but not really a family trail. was quite a lot of climbing & technical climbing at that, not really an endure trail, id say pretty much a god Xc course. did 3 runs, just over an hr each, i think me & 1 other guy were the only ones to complete 3 runs, the enduro unfit types did 1

i thought the trail was great, has a bit of everything, solid hard climbing, plus technical down also. definitely not a gravity trail though, each run of just over 10km had about 300m vertical =esp. the first 1/3

all up 45km -3.5 runs, vert gain reported by strava app was 2000, should have been more like 1250 i think
Great day out, plenty of people around.... there must have been a roadie club having a meet in the area, tons of cyclists on their way up in the morning. Plus an Alfa club on their way down, though I didn't see the breakdown truck...

I really enjoyed the trail but yeah, not really a family trail. As at Buller, it's either up or down, there's not much traversing going on. Each of the 3 sections had some up and then some down. Fairly dusty but still plenty of grip, the first section was the hardest technically with some short but decent rock gardens. I love riding in alpine areas, the smell of eucalyptus trees is just soothing to my soul. The last section had a pinchy initial climb and then a more manicured flow downhill which was neat though it was very bermed hairpin, short straight, bermed hairpin, short straight etc.. there were a few sections to get off the brakes but not many.

Good day out, shuttles worked out pretty well and the cafe had good bakery produce... do they source from Marysville? Either way, thank you to the club, I'll be back again.

Willjh

Squid
Drained the Bank account on:

New TLD A1 Helmet
New Fox Shorts
New TLD Jersey
New Fox Kneepads
New TLD Gloves
New 5-10s
New BikeRack

Cleaned garage and setup workshop for when bike gets delivered tomorrow.

Made up couch to sleep on when wife finds out.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Tonight was musical dropper posts…

My nice new smooth black dropper got removed from my bike and installed on my wife’s new stumpjumper, and my old gritty red one got reinstalled on my bike. I stole the specialized dropper lever, adjuster and outer cable off my cotic and installed it on the wife’s new bike, which looks good, all colour matched and works a treat. A bit of a bonus, really, as I was able to leave the reverb in the merida 120, which keeps it a viable bike.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Got a new (used) car yesterday. Spent the morning getting bike racks for it, and roof racks to mount the bike racks. No more taking bloody wheels off and shoving bikes in bloody boots!

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
So, after riding my LaPierre consistently for a year now, I found out today that the Shimano shifters on it can also downshift Sram-style. This is going to change my whole life!

Also, new Nobby Nics are noticeably grippier than old Nobby Nics.

Willjh

Squid
Bought some Back Country Research gear so I can ditch the pack and I must say it performed flawlessly and silently. The tubetarp kept my tube clean and the racestrap kept my tyre levers, 2 CO2 inflators and the tubetarp wrapped spare tube well secured and completely immobile.

The Tubetarp is a wrap to put around your spare tube, but it also doubles as a boot for your Tyres sidewall tears.
The Racestrap is a pretty minimal strap that can be used to secure a tube, some CO2 and some tyre levers to under your seat. Doesnt interfere with the dropper post and try as I might could not buzz it when bottoming out.

If your looking to run a minimum on your smaller adventures I highly recommend checking out their gear.

The above, a water bottle and a multitool in my pocket is all ill be taking if im only going for an hour or so spin.

***Wasnt paid to say this im just really chuffed***