What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Decided i wanted to try a mattoc on my rune so the nomad got my old pikes. Also swapped out the carbon havens for some crossmax enduros.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Forrest was a blast! The climb up Barlidjaru damn near killed me, but the descent back down Red Carpet was well worth the price of admission. Some proper old school Otway mountain biking there!

This new bike seems to have made my balls a bit bigger. I was riding stuff I would have baulked at any other time.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Rode the Mont 24 course. Hip didn't whinge too much which was nice. Course is awesome of course. My fitness is still fucked...

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sons bike has Altus / Acera gearing on it (8spd), tried to adjust it today and I so love my sram gearing and not having a FD either! Couldn't get his gears to work well enough, probably just me though guess I'll have to take it to the LBS. Ahhhh would be nicer to upgrade it to sram 9spd stuff though and go 1x9....actually my daughter needs that along with a twist shifter because she's really not great with gears.

Took the kids for a ride out on the trail anyway. I rode sons bike and he rode mine...that was probably a mistake, he likes my bike now haha...hmmm wonder if it would wash as an excuse for me to give it to him and by myself a new one? I wish lol.
We did the whole 12km loop. They did great, heaps of farkin flies still around though. Quick dip at the beach after now buggered but feel good....really need to do this sort of exercise more often!
Proud of my 12yr old daughter though, didn't complain the whole way and had a few semi offs (it's not an easy trail). I'm glad she didn't fall the wrong way and down the embankment haha....I was carrying a first aid kit just in case!

ridex.JPG

Last edited:

wilso1

Likes Bikes
Gave the ol' 2006 Specialized Stumpy (the wife's/spare/loaner bike) more of a service than I intended.

After re-installing the just-serviced rear shock, I thought I'd test the bike on the street and found the gears jumping badly. So whacked it on the workstand to find something was stopping the whole drivetrain from spinning smootly, and in the process see that the rear tyre had been installed the wrong way. Taking the rear wheel off to fix the tyre, I can see why the gears aren't indexed - the cassette lockring has unwound and the cassette is rubbing on the dropouts!.

So:
- take the tyre off and see that the rim tape has shifted and is exposing some spoke holes in the rim. Re-tape.
- put the tyre back on correctly.
- clean the cassette and torque up the lockring
- clean the chain, re-install rear wheel, index the gears and voila!! the bike is running smoothly again. :dance: Just in time for a friend to use it at the Mont.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Today, my wife is loving her new bike…

Yesterday we rode Lysty, which was yeah, whatever, ho hum… she knows the main loop like the back of her hand and could ride that on almost anything.

But today we rode Redhill… much more challenging. She rode a few gnarly rocky descents that she’d previously walked and was able to hammer through some stuff that was ridden with trepidation before… we got to the bottom and she was raving about it. And I reckon it will only improve when the soft front spring arrives for the forks.

Here’s his and hers…

Attachments

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
What's wrong with you blokes giving up so easy.

A bit of panel beating, run a tube and will be good to go until your new rims comes along.
It's worse than it looks in the photos to be fair.
Whipped off the tire with the purpose of straightening it out.... but it's deformed so badly that I wouldn't trust it to hold another impact.
My front teeth are worth more to me than riding this weekend.

Z

Zaf

It's worse than it looks in the photos to be fair.
Whipped off the tire with the purpose of straightening it out.... but it's deformed so badly that I wouldn't trust it to hold another impact.
My front teeth are worth more to me than riding this weekend.
Wait, that's off the front wheel?!

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Wait, that's off the front wheel?!
Na rear... either way I'm not desperate enough to risk it collapsing, which is definitely possible given the extent of the deformation.

Spectral frame is due this week...and I also have a spare set of narrow rimmed wheel I could use, so hopefully won't be stuck.

Z

Zaf

Na rear... either way I'm not desperate enough to risk it collapsing, which is definitely possible given the extent of the deformation.

Spectral frame is due this week...and I also have a spare set of narrow rimmed wheel I could use, so hopefully won't be stuck.
It's a heroic effort to do that kind of damage!!

Sending all the good postage vibes to you to get the new frame ASAP. Take comfort in the fact that AusPOST recently lost my order and I've had to lodge an investigation through Deustche post with regards to the loss, hopefully that's soaked up all the bad postage vibes so your delivery will be smooth sailing and you'll be on the bike in no time.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Took the big bike out for a spin at Loftus on Sunday. I've been vaguely dissatisfied with the suspension for my last few rides, so I decided to re-baseline the sag front and rear. To get the recommended settings required a surprising amount amount of air to be taken out of the forks and a decent amount added back into the rear. I then re-rode a loop with the new settings to see the difference. The change was amazing - the bike was so much easier to get low and rail flat corners, and the bike had far better composure on the technical climbs without the tendency to bounce on the front. Greatest result:effort tuning I've ever experienced!