What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
*sniff* far out guys! Doesn't anyone understand how hard it is for a balding middle aged guy to grow a man bun and stay on trend in a world obsessed with youth regardless of our ageing demographics???

Flow-Rider

Burner
I went direct with Manitou on a fork purchase from Wiggle. They were the ducks nuts! Having said that, I wouldn't have been surprised if they told me to go through Wiggle.
I'm with boomking. Hope would surely rather crc handle it.
USA retailers really know how to work. I recently emailed an Australian snowboard retailer through their website asking if they would price match a sale on another Australian retailer's site...first lot waited til the other guys sale was over before getting back to me, about 9 work days. I didn't need the stuff by then but how do these dickheads expect to survive? It.dodnt inspire me with confidence to buy from them!

Similar with bikes. Similar with everything.
I thought as a well known world wide business that they can send him an email stating to go through the proper channels or of their intent of action.
I emailed e-13 about some specs on one of their rims and they responded in about 8hrs. Some Americans know about good service.

I use Pushys and MTB Direct a lot of the time and they normally get back to me within 2 days. I've questioned some of the work from NSD I had done by email, they responded within 24hrs and they are a very busy small operation. I really like the Hope products and also use CRC from time to time but sounds like bad business to me.

Last edited:

fridgie

Likes Dirt
Another big day on the bike yesterday (even if it was the roadie) but have now completed my first 100mile excursion. Got sent over a traffic island into the gutter thanks to the bloke in front swerving late and not calling the obstacle but stayed upright and no damage or flat thankfully after hitting it hard. Was a bit if a struggle towards the end, as some bastard put most of the hills on the course at about the 125km mark....

Flow-Rider

Burner
Another big day on the bike yesterday (even if it was the roadie) but have now completed my first 100mile excursion. Got sent over a traffic island into the gutter thanks to the bloke in front swerving late and not calling the obstacle but stayed upright and no damage or flat thankfully after hitting it hard. Was a bit if a struggle towards the end, as some bastard put most of the hills on the course at about the 125km mark....
Shame on you for riding past MTB trails on a road bike. What's the world coming to, huh?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Never doubt yourself.

Was actually pretty impressed to see people doing the 160km ride on full suspension mtbs! Doubt I could have done it on my enduro...
I've done a couple of centuries on the MTB hard tail in the past, it's a lot slower process but not impossible and I'm old and worn out.:tongue1:

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Just got in, from my first ride in 16 days... due to an old persons issue. I hope it's sorted soon, as I can't stand being off the bike that long.

It was only 40 minutes of urban mountain biking... just riding kerbs, gutters and nature strips, but still beats not riding.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Fresh DU bushings in my m4x shock and the sound is gone. Now I can notice a slight tick in the BB, no wonder given all the rain, and a slight bit of rotor rub. Both easy enough to fix.

rstim

Likes Dirt
First ride in the new helmet at Derby peddled up to Black stump 3 times and wasn't too hot might be a different story in summer, but very happy with the fit and airflow. Trails are absolutely mint at the moment so much grip, had an absolute blast.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Treated it to a wall ride. No. Wait...that was my face.

Rode it, put it on a trailer, rode it, put it on a trailer, fell off it, put it in the Ute.

Tomorrow is going to be a whole other kettle of intermaresting.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Took the slope style bike out for a spin. Had an absolute blast! I was running the Schwalbe table tops at ~35psi and found them to be awesome. 1 minor slip in a big berm which was mostly my fault anyway. I wanted to really push the tyre, railing the berm reasonably quickly, leant the bike down as far as I could, slippppppppppp, managed to hold it and keep going. I came back to the berm and noticed I'd not been pressed up into the wall or it at all and was trying to lean over on flat dirt!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Took the slope style bike out for a spin. Had an absolute blast! I was running the Schwalbe table tops at ~35psi and found them to be awesome. 1 minor slip in a big berm which was mostly my fault anyway. I wanted to really push the tyre, railing the berm reasonably quickly, leant the bike down as far as I could, slippppppppppp, managed to hold it and keep going. I came back to the berm and noticed I'd not been pressed up into the wall or it at all and was trying to lean over on flat dirt!
Just like yesterday! Dirt jumps and trails with one of my mates. Good times were had!

spikenet

Likes Dirt
Spent the afternoon bleeding these bloody magura mt7 brakes.. by far the most finiky brakes I've ever had to work on... Got it done but used a bucket load of fluid! Arg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
So I've been out for the first time this month now, still sore but not enough to stop me having some fun. Hurt more breathing than moving around so I guess that's progress right?

Took the tracer with its shiny new chainguide thanks to ideate. Fark me these things make a racket! But if I use anti-vaxxer logic I can say with certainty that chainguides prevent rib injuries - crashes with chainguides resulting in rib injuries = 0, crashes without chainguides resulting in rib injuries = 2 - irrefutable scientific evidence!

New chainguide Pros:
Doesn't drop chains
Looks rad
Sounds like a trading card in the spokes
Cant hear any other noises the bike might make

Cons:
Can't hear myself think
When I can think, I think the guide is making it harder to get up that Hill
Looks like I should be able to ride more rad than I actually do

I'm on the fence still here :p

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
For the first time in my life I did a lower leg service on my Pikes. It all went swimmingly and I didn't do anything silly requiring a post in the f-wits thread so that's a win:) The forks felt so much smoother after new oil and seals...

Last edited:

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Good job Miguel - I'm due the same on a Recon on the hardtail/commuter - I can see some small cracks in the fork seals starting to appear so I don't know if I can put it off much longer!

I replaced a Shimano BB71 pressfit bottom bracket on the same bike this afternoon - the old one was about 3 years old and the NDS bearing always got noisy if I was riding in the wet - sort of a squelchy sound that was force dependent - the harder I rode, the noisier it got.

I'm what you'd call a selective tight-arse - I've been happily building a collection of expensive blue coloured tools recently to do more servicing myself, but for infrequent jobs like a bearing replacement, I'm too stingy to spend up on a proper bearing removal tool or press - even the cheaper brands.

Sooo... a trip to the big green shed and $6.62 later, I end up with this:

bearing replacement.jpg

The home made made bearing removal tool - a length of chrome towel rail - 900mm long x 19mm diameter, cut off about 250mm and 4 hacksaw cuts - $4.77 for the length, good for at least 3 tools, so call it a buck sixty for what is pictured. The PVC-U pressure pipe end cap cost me more at $1.85, and I used it to knock out the other bearing once the first one was removed with the towel rail tool. It was a perfect fit, and being plastic far less likely to score the inside of the frame. New BB was gently pressed in using the bolt and two bits of metal angle - I had all that shit just lying around so it cost me nothing. Worked a treat though - the pressfit BB bearings go in so much easier when they are pushed in evenly!

Next job will be the long overdue fork lowers - hopefully it won't be a story for the FW thread.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Good job Miguel - I'm due the same on a Recon on the hardtail/commuter - I can see some small cracks in the fork seals starting to appear so I don't know if I can put it off much longer!

I replaced a Shimano BB71 pressfit bottom bracket on the same bike this afternoon - the old one was about 3 years old and the NDS bearing always got noisy if I was riding in the wet - sort of a squelchy sound that was force dependent - the harder I rode, the noisier it got.

I'm what you'd call a selective tight-arse - I've been happily building a collection of expensive blue coloured tools recently to do more servicing myself, but for infrequent jobs like a bearing replacement, I'm too stingy to spend up on a proper bearing removal tool or press - even the cheaper brands.

Sooo... a trip to the big green shed and $6.62 later, I end up with this:

View attachment 338589

The home made made bearing removal tool - a length of chrome towel rail - 900mm long x 19mm diameter, cut off about 250mm and 4 hacksaw cuts - $4.77 for the length, good for at least 3 tools, so call it a buck sixty for what is pictured. The PVC-U pressure pipe end cap cost me more at $1.85, and I used it to knock out the other bearing once the first one was removed with the towel rail tool. It was a perfect fit, and being plastic far less likely to score the inside of the frame. New BB was gently pressed in using the bolt and two bits of metal angle - I had all that shit just lying around so it cost me nothing. Worked a treat though - the pressfit BB bearings go in so much easier when they are pushed in evenly!

Next job will be the long overdue fork lowers - hopefully it won't be a story for the FW thread.
Good job, I've got a spare collection of steel for jobs like this.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Installed some carbon easton bars and a marsh guard. Was a bit worried about carbon bars and snapage..
The marsh guard is pretty basic but seemed to stop shit getting sprayed over me but small gravel flicking up sounds awefully similar to the sound of cracking/creaking carbon.. Was paranoid my handle bar would shear off and stab me in the face as I went otb.. Took me half a ride to figure out what the cracking noise was..