What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Lap of the quiet north Stromlo bits with one other. Got within 3m of 2 other people over an 11k loop. Fair few cars in carpark but cafe closed and no large groups, social distancing while exercising respected. Turns out shock was 30lbs too low after service, pedal strike city. Fork however with more sag and damping was nice.

Jpez

Down on the left!
TLDR. bike path diaries.

So doing my usual C19 bike path explore around Melbourne. This time all the way up the Moonee Ponds creek. Enough twists and turns to keep it mildly interesting until I hit a section of huge wide concrete storm drain. The sides were urban free ride heaven.
Found sections where you could shoot up and over the edge and get some nice air then back down again Rinse and repeat. A few drop offs etc.

Anyway on the way back found a small pump/BMX track. Had a bit of fun on that then some sweet little single trail back along the river.

Finally hit the huge storm drain sections again on the other side and had a bit more fun getting some sweet air and fooling about.

Finally had enough of that and decide to head for home so hit the gas and continue flat chat down the storm drain when out of nowhere I notice a storm water channel about a meter wide coming up real fast. Real sharp edges to the concrete too!

Didnt think I could bunny hop that distance and survive and couldn’t pull up quick enough So dropped the bike sideways and slid into the storm drain at speed Soaking wet but no injuries!

climbing out of that drain laughing felt like the best day ever.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Been doing one of the various loops available from the driveway (8.5km) on foot, on the Bronson and on the Cannondale. Given it is quiet roads and horse trails with a couple of big hills it is not surprising that the Cannondale is the fastest option though burns the least energy because so much speed can be carried down the hills for the next uphill part. Anyway was riding the Cannondale the other day and got some weird looks from some of the walkers. One guy asked what happened to the other side of the fork and I told him that a conventional fork was too expensive so I just bought the left hand side. He seemed ok with this.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
TLDR. bike path diaries.

So doing my usual C19 bike path explore around Melbourne. This time all the way up the Moonee Ponds creek. Enough twists and turns to keep it mildly interesting until I hit a section of huge wide concrete storm drain. The sides were urban free ride heaven.
Found sections where you could shoot up and over the edge and get some nice air then back down again Rinse and repeat. A few drop offs etc.

Anyway on the way back found a small pump/BMX track. Had a bit of fun on that then some sweet little single trail back along the river.

Finally hit the huge storm drain sections again on the other side and had a bit more fun getting some sweet air and fooling about.

Finally had enough of that and decide to head for home so hit the gas and continue flat chat down the storm drain when out of nowhere I notice a storm water channel about a meter wide coming up real fast. Real sharp edges to the concrete too!

Didnt think I could bunny hop that distance and survive and couldn’t pull up quick enough So dropped the bike sideways and slid into the storm drain at speed Soaking wet but no injuries!

climbing out of that drain laughing felt like the best day ever.
Haha, pretty sure I know the exact spot you mean. Caught me out years ago. I almost pulled off the perfect stoppie, almost... :D

If it's where I'm thinking of (where Citylink exits onto Flemington road) if you ride bank to bank you can get enough speed to bunnyhop the centre channel and just carve back and forth. (Or at least I was game enough to back in the day, these days I doubt I could, haha). Aaaaand maybe not the best idea under these C19 lockdowns either.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
Actually got my derailleur setup. Need a new cable, chain and cassette but hopefully I can get out riding for a bit while I save some spare cash.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Haha, pretty sure I know the exact spot you mean. Caught me out years ago. I almost pulled off the perfect stoppie, almost... :D

If it's where I'm thinking of (where Citylink exits onto Flemington road) if you ride bank to bank you can get enough speed to bunnyhop the centre channel and just carve back and forth. (Or at least I was game enough to back in the day, these days I doubt I could, haha). Aaaaand maybe not the best idea under these C19 lockdowns either.
Yes! Exactly that spot. The only spot on the whole channel that has an open storm water perpendicular to the channel.
I was on auto pilot so came as a bit of a surprise.

Thats a big leap one side to the other!
Dunno if I’d have the balls to do that. Although it does have nice shallow angled sides if you come up short.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Yes! Exactly that spot. The only spot on the whole channel that has an open storm water perpendicular to the channel.
I was on auto pilot so came as a bit of a surprise.

Thats a big leap one side to the other!
Dunno if I’d have the balls to do that. Although it does have nice shallow angled sides if you come up short.
Haha, I was 15 or so back when I used to do it. Made it dozens of times, but did have some notable fails such as missing the take off (too late to lift up) and burying the bike in the channel front wheel first and another where I made the jump but slipped the pedals on landing, lost control and rode into one of the concrete pillars head on! I swear it didn't effect me at all... o_O:Do_O

Jpez

Down on the left!
Haha, I was 15 or so back when I used to do it. Made it dozens of times, but did have some notable fails such as missing the take off (too late to lift up) and burying the bike in the channel front wheel first and another where I made the jump but slipped the pedals on landing, lost control and rode into one of the concrete pillars head on! I swear it didn't effect me at all... o_O:Do_O
Yep super fun spot.

The flip side to all that fun today was I saw about 5 different humpies of homeless people on the way. Actually seen a heap on my inner city wanderings lately.
Made me sad to see people living like that.