What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I hate myself for it, but I’ve missed the flat bar roadie for commuting so I’ve been on the lookout for another cheap roadie to convert for about a week.

Fuck all in my size on FB but spotted an ad on Gumtree for an “XL Giant road bike” for $120. Description said “well used and needs a good service to bring it back to its former glory”. Photo was grainy as, so I could tell was that it had a Giant logo and did appear to he a decent size.

No mobile number with the ad so took a bit of painful back and forwards over the interwebs to organise for me to look at it. Owner said nothing was broken but badly needed a service, tires were shot etc.

Old guy that owns it said he had a bunch of messages and six no shows and I was the first to actually turn up to view.

Their loss as it turned out to be a sweet, virtually unused 2015 Giant Defy with 2x10 Tiagra groupset, with reflectors, warning stickers and the little vent spews still on the tyres.

IMG_0006-compressed.jpeg

Owner still had the purchase receipt or I would have been worried. As for the need for a service to bring it back to its former glory, I had to pump the tyres up. Gears and brakes were perfectly adjusted.

Given how fresh it is I might keep it as is for a while before I flat bar it.

ausdb

Being who he is
I hate myself for it, but I’ve missed the flat bar roadie for commuting so I’ve been on the lookout for another cheap roadie to convert for about a week.

Fuck all in my size on FB but spotted an ad on Gumtree for an “XL Giant road bike” for $120. Description said “well used and needs a good service to bring it back to its former glory”. Photo was grainy as, so I could tell was that it had a Giant logo and did appear to he a decent size.

No mobile number with the ad so took a bit of painful back and forwards over the interwebs to organise for me to look at it. Owner said nothing was broken but badly needed a service, tires were shot etc.

Old guy that owns it said he had a bunch of messages and six no shows and I was the first to actually turn up to view.

Their loss as it turned out to be a sweet, virtually unused 2015 Giant Defy with 2x10 Tiagra groupset, with reflectors, warning stickers and the little vent spews still on the tyres.

View attachment 404794

Owner still had the purchase receipt or I would have been worried. As for the need for a service to bring it back to its former glory, I had to pump the tyres up. Gears and brakes were perfectly adjusted.

Sweet buy flip the stem and appreciate having the drops when it's as windy AF and you just want to be as aero as possible, put some online cross levers on as well maybe.

Jabubu

let you google that for me

View attachment 404794

Absolute fucking bargain that is and definitely something I'd love to have. Just needs tan wall tyres...

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Off the bike for the last 4 months with a broken elbow. But thanks to sales this weekend I now have a new Marzocchi Coil Shock and Double Barrel Kitsuma coming for a bike I can't ride....... (which has new 38's sitting on it unridden). Oh and looks like because I have gotten fat with no riding my 500lb SLS spring isn't going to be heavy enough for me.......

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Off the bike for the last 4 months with a broken elbow. But thanks to sales this weekend I now have a new Marzocchi Coil Shock and Double Barrel Kitsuma coming for a bike I can't ride....... (which has new 38's sitting on it unridden). Oh and looks like because I have gotten fat with no riding my 500lb SLS spring isn't going to be heavy enough for me.......
There’s no upgradeitis worse than broken body boredom upgradeitis…

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Great buy !

Grab some flared gravel bars and it will transform the ride from 2015 40/42cm wide bars to something with a bit of width and flare, which make them feel more MTB.

Ritchey Venturemax comp are great, 46cm bars give you 58cm in the drops for great stability.

I had the above bars then went Venturemax XL, which are 52cm wide and 65cm in the drops.

You might be happy and stick with drop bars if you get a good feel.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Sweet buy flip the stem and appreciate having the drops when it's as windy AF and you just want to be as aero as possible, put some online cross levers on as well maybe.
Great buy !

Grab some flared gravel bars and it will transform the ride from 2015 40/42cm wide bars to something with a bit of width and flare, which make them feel more MTB.

Ritchey Venturemax comp are great, 46cm bars give you 58cm in the drops for great stability.

I had the above bars then went Venturemax XL, which are 52cm wide and 65cm in the drops.

This is the sort of shit that had me wondering whether a nice set of old 105 or Ultegra levers to hide the cables away and get even more aero is the way to go. FFS.

And 10min early to the first train of the day thanks to light weight and aero. FFS.

Might look at gravel bars though. I’m happy with the stock position going straight and around sweeping corners, it’s the more technical bits getting around pedestrians and around tight paths and hopping kerbs that I hate the roadie bars for. And the braking is shit but I’m going to get some modern 105 or Ultegra dual pivots for it.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great buy !

There are so many good road bikes going cheap right now. Yvonne and I went to the UK in May/June to ride End to End. Spent $500 for 2 20 year old road bikes off Gumtree that worked perfectly. Just gave them to the bike shop in Thurso when we finished. If you're not trying to wing the T d F, most of them are a steal. I will never take my own road bike overseas again. Just buy a cheapie and give it away when done

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
That's making mine look a bit wimpy!
Yours looks great and these probably ride best at their stock travel numbers (although 150 front and a -1 degree headset works really well).

TBH I only really did this because that bomber is 170mm and I had a rear 27.5 wheel handy. @Mattyp came through with the goods on a 27.5 front wheel and I thought why not.

170mm/138mm isn't too much of a discrepancy front to rear and I've never owned a 27.5 bike so thought I'd give this a bash before I shorten that airshaft to 150mm. Who knows I might really like how this rides like this and keep it.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
20231125_145546 1.jpg

Rode Buller. Conditions were surprisingly not too bad considering the 20mm+ hosing it got the night before, and some of the back country scree surfing got really fun once you just accepted you had very limited control and the bike just needed space to explore concepts. Thank f*** for good suspension.

Scenery not too bad either

20231125_174947 1.jpg

20231126_102723 1.jpg

Might be in need of a clean.