What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
And it's not like rigid steel forks aren't known for failing either... Just because they'll typically fold rather than crack it's still going to be a sudden and unexpected stop.
This happened to a mate a couple of years ago. It was a Charge Plug that he had been using solidly as a commuter for about 13 years.

Steel frame and forks. This might be the exception rather than the rule then? I'd be interested in hearing the thoughts of those with more knowledge about metal properties. My friend was convinced it was rust that caused the failure.

photo_2023-12-19_10-43-15.jpg

photo_2023-12-19_10-43-14.jpg

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
This happened to a mate a couple of years ago. It was a Charge Plug that he had been using solidly as a commuter for about 13 years.

Steel frame and forks. This might be the exception rather than the rule then? I'd be interested in hearing the thoughts of those with more knowledge about metal properties. My friend was convinced it was rust that caused the failure.

View attachment 405461
View attachment 405462
Yeah, fatigue cracking can happen too (and sucks... :confused: ). Could be rust, too much stress in the bend, material too thin, 50,000,000,000,000 vibrations, or a combination of all.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Yeah, fatigue cracking can happen too (and sucks... ;) ). Could be rust, too much stress in the bend, material too thin, 50,000,000,000,000 vibrations, or a combination of all.
Yeah, that's what Planko suggested was the case.
My friend ended up getting a new frame and fork set as he was concerned the same might happen to the Charge frame.
13 years for one bike, used in all weather and poorly maintained isn't bad!

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
20231219_104308.jpg

Rotorua Day 1 done. Today was the pedalling day so no shuttles. Legs are absolutely cooked and it was muggy this morning and then hot this afternoon so I was sweating up a storm.
It is insane that these trails are free, they are so, so good.
Some of the groomed flow trails are so fast you get yourself into trouble even though there's nothing really dangerous on the trail.
Beer o'clock now. Looking forward to tomorrow (when going rafting as well!)

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
View attachment 405464

Rotorua Day 1 done. Today was the pedalling day so no shuttles. Legs are absolutely cooked and it was muggy this morning and then hot this afternoon so I was sweating up a storm.
It is insane that these trails are free, they are so, so good.
Some of the groomed flow trails are so fast you get yourself into trouble even though there's nothing really dangerous on the trail.
Beer o'clock now. Looking forward to tomorrow (when going rafting as well!)
Best riding trails I've ever seen. Have a great time!
And it's even better when it rains.. grip for days.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Mate there aren't any pubs in zwift.
I can always grab a beer from the fridge :cool:

New pads and break in ride, still had the finned Shimano since Tassie 12 months ago after I killed 2 sets of TS Power on the Blue Tier waterfall.

Uber Race Matrix, phenomenal difference. Now used all 4 pack of pads I got a few weeks ago.

Roll on the Uberbike New Year sales for some e-Matrix.

dfghdfgh.jpg