What do MTBers want?

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i dont care where it is/how it works as long as it doesn;t sit below the chainstay and get smacked on every second log and rock :lol:

Adi

It's my birthday!
As long as it dont snap and it shifts properly with minimal adjustment then I am cool with it.

S.

ex offender
Bonnet said:
maybe, i dunno, but what about a deralieur that sits above the chainstay's instead of hanging below them, then there is less chance of smashing it off on a low lying stump, or a concrete ledge (urban). this is just a vague thought, i understand that it may be unreasonable to implement it.
That wouldn't work. The derailleur (this applies for both front and rear) has to adjust where the chain is being FED into the cogs... otherwise it does nothing. Like Kalem said, you'd have to pedal backwards every time you wanted to change gears!

Not to mention chain tension issues pulling derailleurs apart...

S.

ex offender
Simo said:
it's all in theory guys :lol:
Ya, but have you ever tried doing the practical side of making something before the theory side? Tends not to work so well! :wink:

Personally what I want is:
- Companies to stick to standards (ISIS, 6 bolt discs, whatever hub spacing, PICK A SINGLE SIZE FOR SEATPOSTS, caliper mounts, etc)
- an all metal shifter, NO plastic parts
- removable (or hardened steel) inserts for anything with a thread, eg cranks, stems, forks etc

And most of all... a 5 or 6 speed internally geared hub. Like a Rohloff, but without trying to cram an entire XC gear range into one thing (keep in mind that anything with a single ring effectively has 1/3 the number of gears [but not necessarily 1/3 the range] of a standard 3-9 gear setup). Who ever uses 14 gears on their DH bike? Not I.

Self extracting cranks or ones that at least included a plug for the BB (so I didn't have to keep looking for drill bits n stuff to use just to get my cranks off) would also be appreciated.

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Pana said:
an affordable bike stand would be right up there for me... I mean really, how complicated are they? There is no reason they should be more than $100.....
Ok... now I was always going to check in on and reply to this thread (irregularly), but I just couldn’t let this one go through to the keeper even for a night.

Pana... what are you on about? Mate you couldn’t even buy a shitful repair stand for TWICE what you’re wanting to pay... let alone a stand that works AND lasts. Maybe you’re prepared to pay out of your own pocket for the steel, zinc plating, powder coating, clamp rubbers, lever grips, brass wheels, stainless wear plate, stainless hinge pins, bushes, tube closures, welding consumables, press tooling, lathe tooling, jigs, laser cutting, electricity, rates, advertising, packaging, equipment and tooling maintenance, product liability insurance, wages, super, sick leave, holidays and bookeeping for Johnny Howards GST... AND THEN sell a product at a price that actually LOSES you money.... but I’m sure as hell not! And I think that the guys whose wages I’m paying would tell you to get well and truly stuffed because if I did do all that (just so you could buy a stand for $100) they would be out of jobs and we would be out of business in about ten minutes flat.

$100... get real! Christ if I laugh any harder I’ll fall off the planet. Listen... by all means you make a fuss about the price of products... that’s called free speech and all power to you... but telling people that “There is no reason they should be more than $100.....” is not making a fuss... it’s making you look more than a little naive.

You want to know how complicated they are? Fine... GripSport Pty Ltd, 1581 Main Road, RESEARCH. VIC. 3095. Ph(03)9437 1954 and my name is Jon Weaving... feel free to come on round and see for yourself. I’ll wait for your call.

And if you don’t like that one I’ll make you a challenge... I will SUPPLY you with a full set of drawings for our Workshop/Race Stand and you make one yourself. The only stipulation is you have to come out from behind the nickname, tell everyone on Farkin who you are (full details), post pics of the finished stand AND let the Farkin guys actually have it to test out and write a product review on. I’ll even pay the freight cost to get your stand to them and back again and send ‘em one of ours for a fair comparison, eh?

Still don’t like it? Then what’s say same deal as before only you come up with ANY design of workstand you like BUT you have to PROVE you can make it for less than .... what was that figure again? Oh yeah... $100. Of course you still have to submit it to the Farkin crew for a write up (along with all receipts etc) and it would help if it LOOKED ok... WORKED ok and lasted... but that’s up to you I suppose because you seem much more interested in the $100 side of things.

Let me know?

Cheers

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2 things.
firstly, relax grip, we are all saying what we dream of.

second, i dont care how practical it is socket, u build it for me NOW :lol:

S.

ex offender
Simo said:
2 things.
firstly, relax grip, we are all saying what we dream of.

second, i dont care how practical it is socket, u build it for me NOW :lol:
Next time I see you actually RIDING that kickarse bike of yours, I might!

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Grip, if I had a welder I would take your challenge on because, it is definately one way to settle once and for all why the stands are expensive.

And settle down a bit. We all mean well and are only expressing our desires.

belly_up

Likes Dirt
Pana is one of the Farkin crew Jon, in fact, he's the guy who set it up. But don't mind him, he's an IT dude, not a fabricator. And i wouldn't take it personally, he wasn't having a go at you, he's just having whinge :p. I don't think he was seriously expecting a work stand for $100.

I think where the $100 comes from (albeit not realistic) is that a lot of people look at a stand and see a few bits of mild steel welded into a stand, with an arm on it. throw in a bit of labour to weld and voila, a work stand. You and I both know this isn't the case, but as with many products (particularly high quality ones), the average consumer can't understand where the cost comes from.

Speaking for the Farkin crew, we would still be more than happy to review one of your workstands, regardless of the retail price, and then Pana can assess if he thinks it's worth the money or not.

Pana, he's right, even if i was to fabricate a stand myself, and do all my labour for free, i doubt i could do it for $100, and if i did it probably would be a bit ghetto.

And as for hiding behind nick's, you can find all of the Farkin Crew linked of the bottom of the main page.

Cheers

Belly_Up (Adam)

S.

ex offender
Turley said:
Grip, if I had a welder I would take your challenge on because, it is definately one way to settle once and for all why the stands are expensive.

And settle down a bit. We all mean well and are only expressing our desires.
Try just adding the costs of the materials alone up... ie the piping, metal brackets, etc etc, without welding...

It's all well and good to SAY "ahhh it's just a few bits of metal" (hey why do a set of cranks, no moving parts, only tiny bits of forged metal, cost more than $100?), it's another thing to actually make them and run a business out of selling them.

Back to the original topic... I would also like to try some ratchet system grip shifters, so that you didn't actually have to reposition your hand on the bars after shifting, you could just bang it up/down a few gears (it'd need to be able to do at least 3 gears at once, like Shimano shifters) then let the grip move back into place.

trobb

Likes Dirt
i so agree on putting the deralieur above the chain stay, that would never hit on anything and would be more reliable. maybe if the front disk was some how moved in closer to the wheel than it wouldnt hit on as many roks and sofourth, i would say back to but ive never bent that. boooo yea

S.

ex offender
O O I know! How about some neeeat portable kickers for dragging round on rides in the city etc? Not necessarily high, just something about 8" wide, folds in half, maybe a foot high, and has legs or something that fold out and have a QR-type bolt that secures them in position? I would get SO much use out of one of those!

Hafta be metal too... maybe with some sand/grit sprayed into wet paint to make it grippy.

Bonnet

Likes Dirt
Socket said:
That wouldn't work. The derailleur (this applies for both front and rear) has to adjust where the chain is being FED into the cogs... otherwise it does nothing. Like Kalem said, you'd have to pedal backwards every time you wanted to change gears!
if theres a will, theres a way.

if ppl want it, then there is gotta be someway of making it work, and work well.