What do MTBers want?

S.

ex offender
Bonnet said:
Socket said:
That wouldn't work. The derailleur (this applies for both front and rear) has to adjust where the chain is being FED into the cogs... otherwise it does nothing. Like Kalem said, you'd have to pedal backwards every time you wanted to change gears!
if theres a will, theres a way.

if ppl want it, then there is gotta be someway of making it work, and work well.
Yeah but it'd be cheaper and easier to make a Rohloff!

You COULD reroute the chain around up around the back of the cassette, but you're looking at extra rollers, a lot of extra chain length, and other dodgy things just to get it moving...

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Well... I did say that this might be an interesting thread, eh? And listen I don't need to calm down because the red pills will cut in soon. Still, it annoys me when folks talk "knowingly" 'bout what they know nought... especially if that then gets it in OTHER folks heads that maybe we're nothing but rip-off merchants. Lets face it if we are selling a product for $349 and someone "knowingly" STATES that it is NOT complicated and should NOT cost more than $100 then that person is saying we are ripping people off... and the post I replied to was NOT simply a wish-list by pana it was a very clear statement that said - workstands are not complicated to make and they should NOT be more than $100.

Hmmm.

Anyway there are actually some very good ideas coming out of this. Maybe I'll just sit back and read 'em and keep the talk hole shut then.

Cheers

belly_up

Likes Dirt
Socket said:
Bonnet said:
Socket said:
That wouldn't work. The derailleur (this applies for both front and rear) has to adjust where the chain is being FED into the cogs... otherwise it does nothing. Like Kalem said, you'd have to pedal backwards every time you wanted to change gears!

if ppl want it, then there is gotta be someway of making it work, and work well.

You COULD reroute the chain around up around the back of the cassette, but you're looking at extra rollers, a lot of extra chain length, and other dodgy things just to get it moving...
I reckon i can do it with the same or less chain length than a conventional derailleur, and the same number of rollers, and a lot less than a rohloff (however there is no way i could make a geared hub for less than rohloff :))

I'll post a design when i get around to it.

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bike stands/clamps are like frames. You can buy a cheap one, and it'll work for a little while, but it will break.

You can buy one that is 2 or 3 times the price and it will last you a very long time...

S.

ex offender
belly_up said:
Socket said:
Bonnet said:
Socket said:

I reckon i can do it with the same or less chain length than a conventional derailleur, and the same number of rollers, and a lot less than a rohloff (however there is no way i could make a geared hub for less than rohloff :))

I'll post a design when i get around to it.
Are you intending to put the derailleur in front of the cassette, or behind? Behind automatically requires more rollers, in front, well, I'll believe it when I see it (remember that little thing called a chainstay ;) )

belly_up

Likes Dirt
my design won't work on all frame designs, but thats to be expected when all current frames are designed to take current derailleurs

S.

ex offender
belly_up said:
my design won't work on all frame designs, but thats to be expected when all current frames are designed to take current derailleurs
Does it require elevated stays or something?

belly_up

Likes Dirt
nah the other way round, it'll work on a normal chainstay, but maybe not on an elevated chainstay, or 1 piece swingarm (ie 222, Super 8 etc)

josh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would like to see a dh shuttle trailer. now THAT would be very cool and would be very sought after, especially for those who cant afford to go out and buy a ute or van, or its not practical for them to do so.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Simplifying the drivetrain is the only thing i can think of when i look at my bike, everything else performs flawlessley for me. Frame is great, brakes are simple and work great, wheels are good, cockpit parts all do nice. The drivetrain however is annoying, very susceptable to damage, always needs adjustments, you all know about it. It's probably one of the hardest things to fix though...

Maybe Aireal could get in on trying to make internally geared hub, maybe get those shimano nexus 7-speed ones and flog the design but make it more up to a beating. Imagine it, a clean SS look with a bashguard, maybe a small tensioner like the dmr 'tension seeker' for FS bikes with chain growth. No noisy derallier bouncing up and down...

oh, and a portable kicker that folds and can be lugged around would be sweeeet, i think companies already do it for skateboards... i might look into that.

Ryan

Radministrator
Sorry for being off topic here Grip but...
Has anyone ever tried to give a nexus hub a good beating? You never know, they might be up to being used on an urban / park / jump bike. If anyone has given a nexus hub a run and found it lacking, please feel free to point, laugh and make derisive comments about what a fool I am.

belly_up

Likes Dirt
I've been thinking about this derailleur design since last night, and i still think i can do it, but you never realise how clever and versatile the standard style rear derailleur is. It can cope with a lot of different ideas and features that were never conceived when it was invented. Very clever person who invented it. It's definately up there with the CV joint for the "what the hell were you smoking when you came up with this?" factor.

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
something that easily alligns discs to stop that slight rubb that I cant ret rid of :lol:

Bonnet

Likes Dirt
i'm glad my idea has brought about some "discussion', but it was just a quick idea, i didn't really think of the complictions in making a top mounted deraileur. i am not really up to date with this Rolhoff stuff so i'll have to go figure out what it is/does. the reason i suggested it, was, because of these stupid replaceable hangers, all companys have different designs, so when you break one in the middle of nowhere, your fucked (i know of course you can break the chain and run it in SS), but a top mounted one would reduce the chances of breaking it heaps, unless you wear REALLY baggy pants.

Belly_up, i'd also like to see your design, maybe start a new thread in the parts forum to further discuss this.

i saw on some site, a drive train that was more like a drive shaft, that transfers power through differentials, this would be a sure fire way of cleaning up the drive train area. i think i was it on an all wheel drive bike.

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Hey I really don't think any of you are "off topic"... this ALL makes good reading and there are some great ideas out there.

Three people have already approached us re the portable, fold-up kicker and "socket" is working up a drawing for what he thinks is needed for this. I reckon we could at least make a few if we can get the design down. Keep in mind that to work without punching your rear wheel up and over your head the length is going to be critical. Like I said... tell us what you want in the way of open dimensions (length, height, width and even radius if you can manage it) and then what size you reckon you could carry round and we'll have a serious look at it.

PS
the magnetic field pedals are being tested as I write this - unfortunately the "field" is so strong it can scramble an egg from twenty paces.

we have introduced a sub $100 workstand - send your cheque and the milk crate is on its way! Choice of colours!

the "over-stay" deraileur/shifter idea is intriguing, but every time I think about chain-run, tension, space inside a 4bar etc I need a little lie down!